How old are you?

Comments

• I am unsure how I feel about being in that 4% minority, heh.
    Innovate or Die.
  • @Zhisana If you are really under 12, how old were you when you started?

Zhisana Diceros (female Tsol'aa).
    She is 216 years old, having been born on the 11th of Mayan, 397 years after the fall of the Seleucarian Empire.

• edited December 2012
    I'll be moving into the next age bracket in two weeks, so was a bit torn about which one I should vote for. I went for the one I currently fit in, rather than the one I'll be moving to, though.
  • @Nakari: Being a new player in Achaea is harder than being a new player in WoW or other similar games, but that's because they're two entirely different types of games. On the other hand, being a new player in Achaea now is far, far easier than being a new player in Achaea ten plus years ago.

The clients, scripts, curing systems, freely available knowledge on the forums, etc that people have access to nowadays simply didn't exist back then. If you wanted to fight your options were learning how to cure manually or building your own system; you couldn't buy a system that actually worked, and you certainly couldn't download one for free.
  • Ognog said:
    @Zhisana If you are really under 12, how old were you when you started?

Zhisana Diceros (female Tsol'aa).
    She is 216 years old, having been born on the 11th of Mayan, 397 years after the fall of the Seleucarian Empire.

Why haven't I bought an aeonic hourglass yet :P
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    @Ellodin stop being so azn and looking 15.
  • I was something like 13 or 14 when I first started playing. Some friends (who don't play anymore, afaik) got me to play. It was hard to get into at first, but honestly what kept me going back then was the sense of wonder. Before these fancy new mappers and such, the world seemed like such a huge place. Hell, even with these new mappers the world still feels pretty huge. I was young though, had a character that advanced in rank and HR pretty far but was still very much a newbie all things considered.
    Came back a few months ago, and I think what made me really want to was the fact that it does take so long to achieve things here. I love Achaea because when you achieve something, it isn't some watered-down pat on the back for getting to the next level. Your achievements are generally just the fulfillment of your own goals, most of which require quite a lot of thought and effort to make any headway in. When you achieve those goals, you genuinely feel that sense of accomplishment because it took so much to achieve.

Most "gamers" these days aren't looking for that, sadly, and just want to be spoon-fed empty accomplishments.
  • Vyldrix said:
    ...what kept me going back then was the sense of wonder.

So very true. I think is one of the major reasons why my younger self hung around. I still get hit every now and again by the wonder of it all, even after all these years.
    I won a competition awhile ago to have Chris Bourassa paint a picture of Lodi. My profile pic is the end product. :)
  • Ognog said:
    Could I really be the oldest player at 41?
    I'd be willing to bet Sobriquet has you by a little bit.

• AmanuAmanu Forge Tree
    Wooohoo, in the majority.

• edited January 2013
    Sobriquet said:
    I appreciate the 36+ being the last option...
    I don't know if I should appreciate or be upset. I wanted to believe there would be more of us old'uns on due to the origins and nature of the game, but I stand corrected. Good going young'uns!

• edited January 2013
    Antonius said:
    @Nakari: Being a new player in Achaea is harder than being a new player in WoW or other similar games, but that's because they're two entirely different types of games. On the other hand, being a new player in Achaea now is far, far easier than being a new player in Achaea ten plus years ago.

The clients, scripts, curing systems, freely available knowledge on the forums, etc that people have access to nowadays simply didn't exist back then. If you wanted to fight your options were learning how to cure manually or building your own system; you couldn't buy a system that actually worked, and you certainly couldn't download one for free.
    I agree that it's easier now simply from the information side of it.

But these days, it's a much more difficult task to advance through organisations even with that information, and as a result it's much more difficult to get involved . Even more difficult to rise to a position of power as a fresh new player within a reasonable time frame that doesn't sap all the fun out of playing a game. Downloading free systems sounds great, but what good is it when your house puts restrictions on your skill usage until such a time you can pass this test and that rite and go through 4 rituals and be of a certain house rank and 40 hours of community service? I started playing 13 years ago. Within a month or two, I was knighted, Head of Novices, in an Order, regularly participating in Landmarking (dying quite often) despite the lack of a system, and there were other players in the game that started around the same time advancing and participating just as quickly as I was. I wasn't motivated, it was just easy. Back then, the oldest and most established players were still fairly young and were still fleshing out the world, and the younger players could reasonably take part in that experience, ten times easier to immerse yourself in all the goings-on which helped ease the tedious nature of young Achaean life.

• just turned 17 on the 10th of January :D
  • phaw to all of ya! im 3 0, been playin' tbrpgs since i was 14-15.  was on achaea bout 4 years ago, but dormanted my char too long and he died, so have been starting over.  Everything we do here is still the best thing ever, expand your minds man, and i aint talkin drugs
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    24. Been around longer than most despite not being the oldest player.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Not at all surprised with the age groups.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Ognog said:
    No. I'm 43.
  • Korben said:
    Ognog said:
    No. I'm 43.
    From what I've heard, you're not the oldest either :)

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    there was a druid that my protege was IC married to who was in her 60s

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • so there are people around my age then :P
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    @Jespar get a job! You whippersnapper!
  • i cant ive got school and achaea!
  • edited February 2013
    Jespar said:
    I can't, I've got school and Achaea!
    1. Learn programming
    2. Charge people for quality useful scripts
    3. Profit
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Valden said:
    Jespar said:
    I can't, I've got school and Achaea!
    1. Learn programming
    2. Charge people for quality useful scripts
    3. Profit
    Not as easy to do when other people make quality, useful scripts and give them away for free.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.