Achaea (the planet), SCIENCE!, and you!!

Comments

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Kenway said:
    @Vallie you're forgetting dash and gallop for near-instant 5 metron travel.
    @Kenway dash/gallop is one room more than the mhun with celerity. DW mhuns with celerity can move at the same speed as someone who is dashing. Sprint/dash is only 25% faster than her higher end estimate.
    Huh. Neat.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    And note that diagonal travel (through the wilderness) is an effective √2 speed increase.
  • edited January 2017
    Aegoth said:
    our characters can fly, hold metric tons of shit, raise the dead, teleport across the world... and you guys are shocked that we walk faster than Usain Bolt?
    The funny thing to me is that if the 0g thing is true, then flying/holding metric tons isn't as impressive - but if we base @Krypton's and @Kenway's numbers show...I'm shocked we ONLY walk almost as fast as Usain Bolt sprints. We need more exercise :(

(Also my numbers are slightly off since I think 1 achaean month is actually 25 hours, so we're even slower than 67%!)

EDIT: IMPORTANT FACT: your character age x 0.241 is how old you are in dog years.
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    Depths walker gets built in celerity? Jesus what don't they get? 

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
    Phase, sadly.
  • edited January 2017
    Krypton said:
    How'd you get that?

A ship moving at 12 speed (12kts/hr) moves about 1 metron/sec. (I'm just quickly approximating for an example.)

So that's 150 metrons in an Achaean "hour" (2.5 real minutes).

12 · 1852m / 150 metrons = 148m in a metron
    I have no clue how I got that.

When I actually calculated it, the answer I came to was 231.5 metres. I have the log from 2009 when I did the testing/calculation and sent someone a tell with the results, so it was definitely 231.5m.
    53.6km didn't come from those calculations directly, it came from an old forum post where I previously shared the results of my calculation. Somehow, when making that old post, 231.5m became 53,592m. It wasn't a simple (if rather extreme) typo or forum glitch of some kind, because I also gave the equivalent in feet. I'm kind of stumped on what happened there.

Edit: Nevermind, it's current me being an idiot, not old me. The forum post I referenced gave the area of a wilderness room, in square metres, not the length in metres. 231.5^2=53,592.25.

So anyways, I actually calculated one metron to be approximately 230m.

Sena said:
    So anyways, I actually calculated one metron to be approximately 230m.
    That's a ship speed of 19 kts/hr being about 1 metron/sec, sounds about right!
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Aegoth said:
    our characters can fly, hold metric tons of shit, raise the dead, teleport across the world... and you guys are shocked that we walk faster than Usain Bolt?
    Although, this does make you wonder about fighting in the wilderness... Those arrows fly pretty far and accurate don't they? >>

• edited January 2017
    Sarapis said:
    This definitely made me chuckle, and is some nice work! Couple things though:

1. That picture of Sarapis is a piece of art, not a map. It's kind of roughly showing what the world looks like (it's based on a map of the world I shared with the artist) though it does look roughly(!) accurate-ish to my map. You can see Bandar Selat and Bandar Selam sitting there in the middle of the ocean east of Meropis and the continent of Palariel south of Meropis. However, my map is probably not particularly accurate either.

2. An ocean square represents a distance MUCH longer than 100 meters. How long exactly, I don't have any idea, so I'm not much help there, but far, far longer than 100 meters. 

Sarapis said:
    Vallie said:

OR, the current continents in Achaea are just one part of the world
    Correct! Sapience and Meropis aren't even two of the bigger continents in the world. There are six main continents and some islands that are big enough that some might refer to them as a continent, mistakenly. 

We intend to have the other continents finished by 2080. :(

What doors you have opened O.O
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited January 2017
    @Sarapis Out of curiosity, is there anything at all you could share about those continents? In terms of inhabitants/customs/anything really?

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

And more importantly... Is a forums post canon enough to go on Wiki? :lol:
  • Kenway said:
    Yeah, this

Oh snap is that a moon? We need an Achaean space artefact program so we can check that baby out. Also how come nobody ever mentions that giant wizard in the sky always staring at everyone. Talk about big brother.
  • Really makes you wonder what life is like on those other continents, and if there is even civilizations. We need an invasion clearly (and not by those dirty tide tsol'teth)
  • Asmodron said:
    Really makes you wonder what life is like on those other continents, and if there is even civilizations. We need an invasion clearly (and not by those dirty tide tsol'teth)
    Or... we could be the invaders for once.
  • i find it odd that atavian and dragon couldnt fly across the sea that they could on the continent. mhmm.

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • edited January 2017
    Liyane said:
    Asmodron said:
    Really makes you wonder what life is like on those other continents, and if there is even civilizations. We need an invasion clearly (and not by those dirty tide tsol'teth)
    Or... we could be the invaders for once.

Near impossible for that to work. An invading army is a unified force, usually under a select ruler, monarch or governing council. Sapience is divided and split amongst the orgs, with each fighting for themselves and against one another. The only time they unify is when there is a big threat, and it isnt very long after the threat is handled do they split ways again. There is no way the people of sapience could ever try and invade a land. At most the 'city-states' could perhaps do small skirmishes upon an alien land against the inhabitants there.
    And then close the new continents 1 hour later with no announced re-opening and no way back except death, just so all the explorers shit themselves.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Watch as people phase to look at named mobs, dragons skimmying around said named mobs with terror and intrigue.

New named mobs that patrol areas, are stronger than the Quisalis Grandmaster, and also happen to see phased folks a la Gattan'bahar and drag them out of phase by reaching their hand out and chokeholding them into the air.

Before brutally snapping their neck one handed.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Valaria said:
    i find it odd that atavian and dragon couldnt fly across the sea that they could on the continent. mhmm.
    It's fascinating that you brought this up because the original Atavians that originated from Azatlan used Transoceanic Orbs to cross the seas. While the Orbs allowed them to make the crossing safely, they were still susceptible to the predators of the Skies.

I can't wait for the day where we get to visit Azatlan and experience everything first hand. Will Lord Vastar have a third temple there?
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

Kyrra said:
    Valaria said:
    i find it odd that atavian and dragon couldnt fly across the sea that they could on the continent. mhmm.
    It's fascinating that you brought this up because the original Atavians that originated from Azatlan used Transoceanic Orbs to cross the seas. While the Orbs allowed them to make the crossing safely, they were still susceptible to the predators of the Skies.

I can't wait for the day where we get to visit Azatlan and experience everything first hand. Will Lord Vastar have a third temple there?
    @Kyrra he already does.
    Huh. Neat.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Ahmet said:
    Kyrra said:
    Valaria said:

@Kyrra he already does.
    We know, the Farethi have been there as part of their induction to the order. More rooms you haven't explored @Ahmet :trollface:

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Kenway said:
    Depthswalker celerity is an active ability rather than passive benefit; I don't recall exactly how it works though. They currently don't have a real line of sight ability (the Terminus one has a longish cooldown, so won't come close to killing anybody alone), resurrect or a way to prone (though this one will be addressed as part of this classlead round, I believe).
  • Antonius said:
    Kenway said:
    Depthswalker celerity is an active ability rather than passive benefit; I don't recall exactly how it works though. They currently don't have a real line of sight ability (the Terminus one has a longish cooldown, so won't come close to killing anybody alone), resurrect or a way to prone (though this one will be addressed as part of this classlead round, I believe).
    While their Terminus ranged ability had a somewhat long cooldown and low damage, it did have the benefit of being on its own balance. Shooting with a purchased bow and using Bahar lightening was a great ranged combo. Not sure how it will work with changes. That aside, the class is pretty potent as is, I would rather they not become kings in other fields.
  • That's only a benefit if you have an artefact bow, which isn't a class feature. Bahar on its own was pretty irrelevant; I could cover the damage from one DW using it on me purely with regen (while uprooting a totem). I definitely don't think the things they're lacking that I listed need to be addressed, except the ability to prone, though.
  • What happened to the math.
    Also pretty sure the DW line of sight can hit around corners, as long as it's within 3 rooms.
    Huh. Neat.