Why do you play your class?

Comments

• Bade said:
    Liyane said:
    I really enjoy my interpretation of a Runewarden. I say this because I tried to play Runewarden back in the day of guilds and I loathed the formality of the Runewarden guild.
    I try to act honorably and seek to protect the innocent (and in my case as an Eleusian I extend that protection to the forests) but I just never have been onboard, ICly or OOCly, to "sir/ma'am" or "Lord/Lady."  I also try to focus on the connection to the earth(nature) through runes and totems to connect the Runewarden RP to the forestal RP.

Where I feel I am taking this a step further though is in really trying to think about my second class slot. There are several classes I'm interested in mechanically but I really am trying to think of what makes sense in a RP sense. So while I'd like to give Serpent a try, I feel it's so at odds with being a knight that it would be impossible for me to justify it with roleplay.  Instead I plan to either pick up a forestal class or another "sword" class (blademaster/bard).

[Edit] Grammar and clarification
    I got to agree it's hard to imagine a Serpent Runewarden for me too. Can't figure out how I'm suppose to go from sneaking around to being honorable.
    Easiest way: Don't sneak around. Serpent still has tons and tons of great stuff even if you ignore the hiding abilities. I don't bother with shroud and hiding when I'm Serpent (which is, admittedly, rare), though I do still use phase and will occasionally backstab somebody (because it's hilarious).
  • My reasoning is a mix of a lot of the above. Back when I was a wee baby in high school, I played monk and did so because I enjoyed the class fantasy and I got to sit around and socialize with my friends and never really dabble in actual combat, scripting, anything really (I was so proud of my first called choke team trigger). Returning almost 17 (!) years later to a game that has changed massively in so many ways but still has so many familiar elements has made it a great mixture of nostalgia and genuine interest.

I also knew I would be consolidating a lot of credits and wanted to be flexible/versatile, so monk seemed like a good starting place since it benefits so much from different goodies. Being able to swap around between face crushing and brain crushing lets me keep it fresh.

Monk really fits the class fantasy/theme of the character I want to construct this time. It's a natural fit for a character trying to pursue a path of righteousness/self sacrifice. Down the line if my 'personal storyline' branches elsewhere, the lack of factional ties is also a benefit versus cost.

Above all, though, kai choke is why.

• I didn't want to play runewarden or paladin but I also wanted to play knight. I didn't play much as Infernal as I tried to play a knight in training in House Maldaathi, and spent most of my time trying to piece together Honourable Evil (which I finally did but never told anyone). Also, their history was most impressive at the time. Now, it is as bard to counter IC SO and runewarden because at least I get chivalry and weaponmastery along with riding to continue development towards knight.
  • Runewarden because I wanted to play a warrior class; it's one of the few 'archetypes' that I've never really seriously played as. However, I didn't want to chain myself to a factional class, and so Runewarden it is. 2H because dorf = hammer, duh. (Sorry @Nazihk)

Grew to love it, especially falcons (duskflights  <3) and the fact that I can take newbies and midbies bashing and not have them die too much (safeguard, defend).
     <3 
  • edited January 2017
    Priest because from the very beginning I wanted to have a reason to justify being super evil or being super pious.  From the get go I wanted a strong character that went full bore one way or the other, and it ended up as priest and targ. It fits fairly well that torinn is the studious teacher sort of pious though I didn't expect his faith to turn into more of a logically driven thing because I had always just thought he would be a zealot.  In either case, priest fits well. I even figured out how to explain taking magi as second class; priest elemental healing gone wrong :D

Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Having always played mages, I wanted to just jump into a new game with a total different outlook on everything - so I picked the tankiest, warrior-iest class I could figure (Runewarden), the city that seemed closest to my previous opposing faction (Cyrene), and went for an overly bubbly, friendly persona. I've definitely felt urges (and thankfully with multiclass I can eventually satisfy them) to play a caster style class again, but Runewarden has enjoyably molded some aspects of my roleplay - I imagine physical classes as more ready to jump head first into things, and more resilient to a lot of pressures or stress, which has shaped her into someone a lot more steady and harder to rustle than I would have guessed.
  • Vallie said:
    Having always played mages, I wanted to just jump into a new game with a total different outlook on everything - so I picked the tankiest, warrior-iest class I could figure (Runewarden), the city that seemed closest to my previous opposing faction (Cyrene), and went for an overly bubbly, friendly persona. I've definitely felt urges (and thankfully with multiclass I can eventually satisfy them) to play a caster style class again, but Runewarden has enjoyably molded some aspects of my roleplay - I imagine physical classes as more ready to jump head first into things, and more resilient to a lot of pressures or stress, which has shaped her into someone a lot more steady and harder to rustle than I would have guessed.
    I've always had trouble playing a mage in EVERY game excluding the old table top D&D. Which is tragic because I love their role play... just no one has been able to mechanically capture them the way I want.
  • Alchemist is relatively arti-independent and can perform well against mid-tiers. I would've gone with something with more of a prep option, but everything needs way more credits to optimize than I have to spend.
  • I play Sylvan because back in the day my dream was to be a full member of the sorcerers guild. That didn't pan out so I made Ghia and chose Sylvan since they had elementalism which is what I loved about being a sorcerer. I've played around on a few other alts, but I kept coming back to Sylvan. I guess it just fits my own personality better. 
  • Runie because I always play better as a tank type of character. That and I love the big bulky armor look. With spikes... and stuff.

Depthswalker which is my main because A. It's cheap as all hell to artie. and B. It kind of meshes really well with how I play personally. As for an RP standpoint, Monk has always been that class that is 100% the best suit for Seno to wear. Too bad I can't afford 3 classes and I have a thing for functionality.
  • I've always wanted to play apostate and mhaldor, but my anxieties always prevent me from touching it, always prepared I'll get kicked out from being the worst combatant in history, so I just play whatever will service me best.
  • Because @Aerek patted me on the head (figuratively speaking) after I got so frustrated with trying to figure out how to fight as a Blademaster, and was supremely irritated at it's horrid bashing, and told me I would probably like 2H Runewarden. Of course, I was super stubborn and started as S&B instead (ugh) but quickly rectified that monumental mistake, kept the SoA I'd gotten for when I got to Dragon, and just took his advice. Just kept it ever since.

I don't like the whole "walking steel can" feel of being a Knight. It is not Nataliia at all. But I do RP some of its flavor like some scars on her hands, or the fact that she's not this waif of a girl (because frankly if you wear full-plate all day and carry a sword you have to double fist you're gonna have some muscle), and I do love to incorporate runes into RP. Kinda the extent of it though. If I could get comfortable combat wise in another class I'd probably switch since I'm a Dragon now and am fine with just using that for bashing.

I've been a handful of other classes throughout the years though (serpent, monk, mage, paladin, priest, shaman, blademaster for a hot second, and then others from the other IRE games). Serpent and blademaster are probably my favorite for character feel. I reaaaaaally would love to be a Depthswalker for RP, and maybe even combat, though I still anticipate nerfs so I'm waiting for things to even out (because class changes are hard for me and I don't want to get comfortable with something only to have it tweaked to the nines).

But yeah... steel can it is... :/
  • I picked Jester when I first made Sob back around 13yrs ago as I liked the idea of trickery, tarot and puppetry. I always liked the fact that a lot of people thought of him when Jester was mentioned and I enjoyed being Classleas way back when, although always acknowledged I was never a "top tier" fighter. When multi class came out and I hit a bored patch I add 2H Runewaeden because I wanted to play something almost polar opposite to what the Jester class gave. It didn't fit with Sob's character but I made it fit because I wanted to. Plus, who doesn't like the idea of smashing people over the head with a hammer?

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Wanted to play a knight class and wanted to be factional. I decided to go with paladin for the kick-ass targossian falcon and then proceeded to not get one :(

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • Driden said:
    Aegoth said:
    Minifie said:
    I've always wanted to play apostate and mhaldor, but my anxieties always prevent me from touching it, always prepared I'll get kicked out from being the worst combatant in history, so I just play whatever will service me best.
    You're not going to get kicked out for being a terrible combatant. Just ask @Driden
    Can confirm we have yet to kick @Aegoth
    Ha challenge accepted.
  • Minifie said:
    I've always wanted to play apostate and mhaldor,
    Lusternian version of Apostate was the most fun/interesting class I ever played and the only thing that made me start fighting, I know how you feel!
  • @Trey is gonna customise my sword. Yay! Thank God for his creativeness when it comes to weapons, because if it were me attempting to customise it, my badass Dreadblade would probably turn into a wet noodle. I am beginning to think this was all a ploy to get me to throw credits at him and give puppy eyes and ask for his creative juices.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Nataliia said:
    @Trey is gonna customise my sword. Yay! Thank God for his creativeness when it comes to weapons, because if it were me attempting to customise it, my badass Dreadblade would probably turn into a wet noodle. I am beginning to think this was all a ploy to get me to throw credits at him and give puppy eyes and ask for his creative juices.
    Trey did my armour and shield, a pair of rapiers, a pair of scimitars, my bastard sword, and my bow for me. Some days I feel like a walking advertisement for what comes out of the forge but it's oh so worth it. So, so worth it.

He's -the- smith.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Kyrra said:
    Nataliia said:
    @Trey is gonna customise my sword. Yay! Thank God for his creativeness when it comes to weapons, because if it were me attempting to customise it, my badass Dreadblade would probably turn into a wet noodle. I am beginning to think this was all a ploy to get me to throw credits at him and give puppy eyes and ask for his creative juices.
    Trey did my armour and shield, a pair of rapiers, a pair of scimitars, my bastard sword, and my bow for me. Some days I feel like a walking advertisement for what comes out of the forge but it's oh so worth it. So, so worth it.

He's -the- smith.
    :( Why... did you have to remind me I have a bow that needs doing too?

Honestly though, I've seen some of his stuff, and I know it's spot on quality. All he did was tease me with a short desc and I was hooked.
  • Nataliia said:
    Kyrra said:
    Nataliia said:

He's -the- smith.
    :( Why... did you have to remind me I have a bow that needs doing too?

Honestly though, I've seen some of his stuff, and I know it's spot on quality. All he did was tease me with a short desc and I was hooked.
    The short description is the part that matters most, since it's what everybody sees, even if they don't get a chance to look at the extended description and will probably never see the dropped line unless you explicitly choose to show it off.
  • Aegoth said:
    blowing everything

• Blademaster is my base class for Bann and most likely always will be. I really like the class itself, and it's very flexible in what it brings to the table both for 1v1 and team fights. I have a penchant for playing savage/half-savage characters who don't have a lot of morals. Sadly, forestal orgs tend to be aids as fuck in the IRE games, and when I started Achaea my bff(who was a long-time player) told me I'd probably enjoy Ashtan the most, so to Ashtan I went. So, the image for Bann is this bestial samurai type of guy, and my secondary classes tend to not affect that very much. I've had Runie and Alchemist as my 2nd and 3rd classes, though I did drop those two in order to pick up Shaman. I've been trying to find another class that sits with me as well as BM does, but haven't had a ton of luck so far. Hopefully Shaman will be it!

I'm also super sad that I can't play Apostate like @Minifie is. Looks like a hella neat class. Priest would also be high on my list to be able to play. Unfortunately looks like Apostate might not happen for a very very long time, because I heard you'd get the boot for having the class and being Ashtani. And lol for Priest.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    blasting around the universe on the back of a giant space narwhal with O Fortuna blaring and a humgii wearing a Christopher Walken costume flying next to me insisting there must be more cowbell. 
    QUIT CYRENE
    AGREE
    SNORT GLEAM
    TELL VERRUCHT IM SORRY TAKE ME BACK YOU CAN HAVE MY PURPLE WALRUS
    Huh. Neat.