New race art - Horkval Bard

Man, look at the size of those antenna....is it getting hot in here?

Comments

• Now that is fantasy art!
  • KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    edited December 2012

Anaidiana said:
    from CLHELP ADP:
    8. Xorans/Grooks/Horkvals do not have mammary glands, therefore, they do
    not have breasts. If you must have breasts, reincarnate into a race
    -capable- of them.

edit: yes, I know i'm probably going to get smacked and told to shush BUT someone had to say it....

And the hair? Maybe she's wearing a wig, and padding her human designed clothing out...

I would expect something that looked more like a 'real' horkval from cannon artwork. Of course she looks awesome as is... but is that really the most important thing? Note to males - yes that was a rhetorical question, don't answer it.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• I had to look it up ... " Hair, while uncommon, is not unheard of" - HELP HORKVAL

• Maybe she's a special horkvali!  That grew it's feet into high heeled boots!
  • Balance might be horrible, but man, if she had a FACESTOMP attack, you're definitely gonna have a bad day.

edited December 2012
    That goes against what players have thought for... a very long time - that breasts are not supposed to be there, and hair is not the norm. Could the racial files be made more specific to avoid these discrepancies?

• Not sure why. The previous picture of a Horkval female had breasts too, and the help description has always indicated that some have hair.

• Eeeh. I think it's just more an issue that mammary glands are honestly immediately identified with mammals, and therefore seem strange and out of place on something like an insectoid Horkval. Same with the Xoran and Grook really. But, what's canon is canon, whatever, I don't think many people will really care too much. Can't help but imagine that one VGcats comic with the Tauren now, though. Damn it.

As for the picture itself, I like it. Promises lots of high-seas adventures and swashbuckling action. Now if only ships really were that exciting. Or if I were allowed on one...
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited December 2012
    Some players have often pictured Horkvals as cockroaches. Aetolia's are pretty roachy. This looks like more a praying mantis with boobs. Buddha would be pleased.

• That is one sweet dagger curved dirk. Those eyes tell it all. She's planning on switching to serp.
    (Party): Mizik says, "This can't possibly go wrong."
  • Dr Kavorkian specializes in Horkval breast implant surgery, among other nefarious things...

edited December 2012

Sarapis said:
    Not sure why. The previous picture of a Horkval female had breasts too, and the help description has always indicated that some have hair.

If you're talking about the picture under help races, I would have thought that was more of a chestplate than breasts, wouldn't have guessed it was supposed to be female. If someone with more of an understanding of biology can explain how a creature with an exoskeleton can have breasts, that might help. It just seems wrong to me.

ETA: Unlike 'how to pronounce Achaea' this question is answered in descriptions all over the game... and I'm sure it's done both ways. If it was made obvious which is correct, it would make it easier for horkval to have an appropriate description. 

• @Katzchen You may as well ask why dragons can breathe fire. ;)
    edited December 2012
    Sarapis said:
    @Katzchen You may as well ask why dragons can breathe fire. ;)
    Regardless, it doesn't really matter to me which way it goes, as long as it picks one and makes it obvious. Clearly this is going to be the 'horkval have breasts' way.

• EldEld
    edited December 2012
    I've always pictured the horkval carapace as just extra exoskeleton-like armour, but with an internal skeleton serving the actual structural purposes. After all, how else does mending mend my bones?

As for the ADP, while they have some good guidelines for descriptions, ultimately they're just a group of players with opinions. You may agree or disagree with those opinions, but that doesn't make them right or wrong.
  • @Sarapis I don't think asking how a giant dragon can breathe fire is the same as asking how something with an exoskeleton has boobs.
  • Achaea is less affected by "male gaze" than other games. If it were World of Warcraft, this image would have huge boobs and g string armour.

• Also it could easily be stated that over the generations and intermingling and breeding of the races that certain new traits came about. Why couldnt it be stated that a Horkval with some human racial connections could have hair? Or a mhun with scaly skin?

Of course this wouldnt mind Grooks born with wings, just general small evolutionary physical traits.
  • I do like that if this is how horkval are to be depicted now, it's going to encourage more female characters to try the race.

• Well, once we're redone all the races, we're going to switch the portraits in character creation from the existing art to the new art (which you can see all of so far at www.achaea.com/gallery).