Why do you play your class?

So I've heard a good few people say class based rp is dead, I really hope it isn't and I can say I at least see some of it, not to the extent of it with guilds' or even houses but it is there. My question is what is it about your classes rp that you enjoy, that keeps you playing it. Obviously this means if you don't have a particular class you rp than the answer is nothing.
I have this with serpent, I've tried most other classes and the closest I've come are Runewarden, Occultist and Alchemist, I'm not sure why but I can't bring myself to keep playing other characters. And even with these I keep coming back to Bade, serpent rp, I suck at the combat, I suck at spying but I've played him like he's good at these things just keeps messing up, like he has hopes of improving when I know he doesn't, but despite this I love sneaking around, casting illusions, being in phase, mapping out worm holes, I just get a lot of kicks out of it. What about you?

Comments

• edited January 2017
    I really enjoy my interpretation of a Runewarden. I say this because I tried to play Runewarden back in the day of guilds and I loathed the formality of the Runewarden guild.
    I try to act honorably and seek to protect the innocent (and in my case as an Eleusian I extend that protection to the forests) but I just never have been onboard, ICly or OOCly, to "sir/ma'am" or "Lord/Lady."  I also try to focus on the connection to the earth(nature) through runes and totems to connect the Runewarden RP to the forestal RP.

Where I feel I am taking this a step further though is in really trying to think about my second class slot. There are several classes I'm interested in mechanically but I really am trying to think of what makes sense in a RP sense. So while I'd like to give Serpent a try, I feel it's so at odds with being a knight that it would be impossible for me to justify it with roleplay.  Instead I plan to either pick up a forestal class or another "sword" class (blademaster/bard).

[Edit] Grammar and clarification
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Totems!
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I play Runewarden because, honestly, I wanted to focus on hunting and slowly work my way to dragon. It has a lot of good flavour though, especially with the mini rituals that are Empowerment. For the longest time, when it came out, I was a Blademaster and really invested into the history and storyline of that class, hence the Crimson Cadre starting up. I think it's interesting option for people to remember they can study the history of their favourite class, where it came from, and so forth. The answers may not always be easy to find, but they are likely there if you look hard enough.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    For Runewarden: I like sword-wielding classes, even though  I was never interested in Knighthood, strictly speaking. I prefer the interpretation of a swordsman who really has no ethos attached (including no obligation of being knightly, as the old guild and many houses tried to force onto players), who cares about those close to him or her but feels no compunction about being selfish or unhelpful when it suits him or her.

Some might say that blademaster would have been more fitting for this, but blademasters don't get to customise their swords, and only recently get the ability to customise their armour. Also, they have a completely different feel that never quite appealed me as much.

I picked Depthswalker for multiclass because shadow-based magic seemed interesting, and the class has a certain selfish bent that goes perfectly with my interpretation of Runewarden. Also, I do love spellsword types.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited January 2017
    Sena's a serpent at heart no matter what class she actually has at the moment. Beyond that, I treat class as what she's focusing on at the time; training her body and learning about different ways to make use of the elements as a blademaster, studying alchemy and the ether as an alchemist, researching the various new areas of knowledge made accessible by Parni as a depthswalker, etc. (OOC, I clearly just like trying every new class, and don't want to start a new character for them, but luckily all the new classes so far have been very appropriate for Sena, depthswalker in particular is almost on par with serpent in terms of suitability).

As for serpent, I love pretty much everything about it, both mechanics and RP. The subtlety and misdirection, the depth and complexity in things other than PvP (such as stealth and spying, and formerly theft, though traces of it are still left in non-pickpocket theft), the science and experimentation aspect (though this was more specific to the Shadowsnakes than the serpent class in general), and the overall serpent mindset that a lot of prominent serpent characters displayed on both an IC and OOC level. When I make other characters I almost always go back to serpent at some point, and the only reason Sena doesn't have serpent as one of her classes is a lack of credits.
  • edited January 2017
    I love druid because it truly seems original to Achaea and, to me, is like a conglomeration of a whole bunch of standard fantasy tropes that have been combined and taken in a completely new direction.
    • Mastery over the body and spirit in metamorphosis.
    Monk, and to a lesser extent blademaster, both touch on this as well, but I like druid's interpretation the most, especially when you really dig into the lore of metamorphosis, what it is and what it means. When someone thinks of classic metamorphing, they think of shapeshifting, where the body is physically transformed into a different form. Achaean metamorphosis is different, though, and has more in common with a monk's fighting forms than, say, someone physically transforming into a dragon. A druid first trains their body to handle the stress (this is why you put points into fitness, because morphing is taxing on your endurance!) and then mentally communes with the animal spirit, who grants the druid not only their abilities, but also things such as mannerisms and other behaviors. For those of you who play League of Legends, metamorphing druids and sentinels are less like Elise, Shyvana or Nidalee, who are actual shapeshifters, and much more like Udyr, who is a monk that has trained to commune with animal spirits and harness their power. This is the biggest misconception about metamorphosis in general, especially to new players, as the appearance of metamorphing isn't actually explained anywhere. Not in the help files, not in the morphing flavor text and not in the flavor text of the vast majority of abilities; if anything, the flavor text of metamorphosis skills actually further clouds things, as they describe everything from wings to multiple hydra heads, but never go into detail as to what these appendages actually look like - with one exception.
    • So if it isn't shapeshifting, flying and mauling and breathing fire are all purely magical in nature, right?
    Not quite, but close. Here's the flavor text for the ability Track, which happens to be the one metamorphosis ability that lends some clues as to what metamorphing actually is (big thanks to @Zenii for copy-pasting this for me!):
    With a powerful beat of wings, Vesios arrives from out of nowhere.
    Druid Vesios Le'Yuet claps near-invisible wings with immense power and disappears.

As far as I know, this specific piece of flavor text - a metamorph tracking out of the room while you're present - is the only text that actively describes what these myriad appendages look like, thereby backing up the hypothesis that many druids have had for a long time. It's also probably one of the rarest flavor texts in the game, as it only appears if you're flying/airborne in the same room as a metamorph tracks out. I have personally only seen this message a single time ever, though I obviously can't speak for others.

Metamorph abilities that are clearly supernatural or magical in nature probably manifest shrouds of the animal spirit around the channeling druid. Whether it's the entire animal or specific body parts relevant to the skill being performed is still unclear to me, as is whether these shrouds are persistent and existent as long as you maintain the morph, or if they only manifest when you use the appropriate skill. But I think it's safe to say that when you're mauling, it's probably with spooky ghost jaguar/wyvern claws, and if you summon the wyvern flame and WREATHE, those spooky ghost wyvern claws are probably on fire. These shrouds can obviously interact with the material world (or else Hydra in general wouldn't be a thing) and probably (though this is my personal theory) augment the druid's more flashy techniques, such as yanking someone into a room with an elephant trunk, breathing ice with the icewyrm or incinerating someone with the wyvern.

Then you take all this and move into groves, which form the basis of the druid's power, kinda like if a monk meditating under a waterfall was able to mentally communicate and control that waterfall and the immediate surroundings. And then after that you move into reclamation, which takes the idea of the grove and ramps it up to eleven.

Combining all of this together results in a spiritual, pseudo-religious warrior-hippy that can fly with ethereal eagle wings, breathe enough fire with enough strength to disintegrate a guy in full plate and then order the trees and vines to not only spy on those nefarious folks meeting in the woods, but also rip them in half and use their mangled bodies as fertilizer for the rose garden. You also get a staff (because who doesn't wanna be like Gandalf), have killer tea parties and get a ton of freedom with free emoting due to the nature of metamorphosis. Seriously, the prank potential is unreal.

• My character switched classes three times, and serpent was the only one that seemed "right". She was lucky to befriend an interesting bunch of serpents (Rip, Kiet, Taarkos, Xuaco, Arralana, etc) early into her life which eventually led to her embracing the lifestyle and joining a serpent family. I also do like hunting with this character, she can tear through areas quickly (with the right artefacts) and while she is not extremely tanky, she gets the job done. I've only had a few deaths with this character while hunting (I blame three of those deaths on Taarkos). 

The only thing I've not settled into is the more "criminal" aspects of being a serpent. She is a merchant and bound by a code of honour (to the distaste of her IG family), but perhaps that might change if or when she chooses a city.

So, for the most part, I play my class for the rp and mechanics. 

• For me it was the spec more than the class itself. I didn't even know what playing SnB would be like but I just wanted to smash people in the face with a shield. As for the choice between RW and Pally I chose Pally because I like the class flavor more. Being a devotionist and a paragon of Good is more interesting than drawing pictures in the dirt.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Because I've always been shaman, but I don't do any stuff in lesserform anymore so I don't see the point in changing. It's basically just there, completely unused. I used to think the class RP was cool, but I just stick to dragon way too much now. Dragon rp is fun, though!
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I've been an element user (magi/sylvan) for most of my player life. Currently magi. But I'm in dragonform more often than not because the utility is great. 

• Monk is what I started with many, many moons ago when I first tried Achaea as a nerdy newbie. Since then, I've dabbled in nearly all the classes, including quite a few IRE-wide. It never fails that I always gravitate back to my "first love" no matter how much it sucks at the time with all the classleads and bashing changes throughout the years. When I put any real time into playing nowadays, I can never stick with any other class. These new, shiny classes may hold my interest for a few days, then it's always back to monk for me.
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• Ismay said:
    Monk is what I started with many, many moons ago when I first tried Achaea as a nerdy newbie. Since then, I've dabbled in nearly all the classes, including quite a few IRE-wide. It never fails that I always gravitate back to my "first love" no matter how much it sucks at the time with all the classleads and bashing changes throughout the years. When I put any real time into playing nowadays, I can never stick with any other class. These new, shiny classes may hold my interest for a few days, then it's always back to monk for me.
    amen
  • Ismay said:
    Monk is what I started with many, many moons ago when I first tried Achaea as a nerdy newbie. Since then, I've dabbled in nearly all the classes, including quite a few IRE-wide. It never fails that I always gravitate back to my "first love" no matter how much it sucks at the time with all the classleads and bashing changes throughout the years. When I put any real time into playing nowadays, I can never stick with any other class. These new, shiny classes may hold my interest for a few days, then it's always back to monk for me.
    This is me and knight classes.
  • I play monk because I like brawlers.  Just ask @Anedhel .  In his 3.5 game that I was going (tm) to play for a bit.. I made a luchador monk wrestler.  He could wrestle ghosts.  T'was kinda funny.

The only thing that could/would make Monk way cooler to me is being able to choose different paths, similar to depthswalker and it's Terminus, for the 3rd skill.  I'd totally take something instead of Telepathy.  Hell, i'd even sacrifice some of the stuff from kaido for it.  It's a reallyyy awesome kit that I find myself being drawn to a lot.
  • Frederich said:
    I made a luchador monk wrestler.  He could wrestle ghosts.  T'was kinda funny.
    I would totally watch a TV show based on this premise...

Ismay said:
    Monk is what I started with many, many moons ago when I first tried Achaea as a nerdy newbie.
    I have some feelings for my first class, druid, which is why I am contemplating picking it up as my second class; however, I have ZERO interest in bashing or combat as a druid and would only take it for the RP potential of a druid knight...
  • Liyane said:
    I have some feelings for my first class, druid, which is why I am contemplating picking it up as my second class; however, I have ZERO interest in bashing or combat as a druid and would only take it for the RP potential of a druid knight...
    This is funny to me because I'm considering picking up runie for my second class, actually.
  • Vesios said:
    Liyane said:
    This is funny to me because I'm considering picking up runie for my second class, actually.
    And thus, the Druidic Knights of the Aureliana was founded.
  • edited January 2017
    Liyane said:
    I really enjoy my interpretation of a Runewarden. I say this because I tried to play Runewarden back in the day of guilds and I loathed the formality of the Runewarden guild.
    I try to act honorably and seek to protect the innocent (and in my case as an Eleusian I extend that protection to the forests) but I just never have been onboard, ICly or OOCly, to "sir/ma'am" or "Lord/Lady."  I also try to focus on the connection to the earth(nature) through runes and totems to connect the Runewarden RP to the forestal RP.

Where I feel I am taking this a step further though is in really trying to think about my second class slot. There are several classes I'm interested in mechanically but I really am trying to think of what makes sense in a RP sense. So while I'd like to give Serpent a try, I feel it's so at odds with being a knight that it would be impossible for me to justify it with roleplay.  Instead I plan to either pick up a forestal class or another "sword" class (blademaster/bard).

[Edit] Grammar and clarification
    I got to agree it's hard to imagine a Serpent Runewarden for me too. Can't figure out how I'm suppose to go from sneaking around to being honorable. Probably why I'll take Alchemist with Bade, though I would love to hunt like a Runewarden.

thanks for all the comments, I appreciate seeing what people think about there classes and rp.
  • Runewarden isn't necessarily honorable. It's just a class. You're a dude with a big sword and armor.

That could be Sir Galahad or it could be the Mountain that Rides.
  • Occultist is pretty much the only class that I know. It is Jinsun, through and through, and it is that mysterious, dangerous class that is perfect for the character that I wanted to be. Because of the class RP, History, his history, and generally his self-destructive, self-indulging path, Jin will probably always be an Occultist. I went shaman for awhile as multiclass, but never really could bring myself to code for it. Same with serpent. I really only took serpent because it fit Jin's mysterious, evil type of bent, but I could also pickpocket. Jin really is supposed to be a powerful guy that looks like he couldn't beat up a child. He's supposed to be that scrawny evil trickster who wields dangerous power. If he were to buff up and go some kind of physical class, I dunno what I'd do. It'd have to be a very very staunch plot-twist and complete reinvention of who he is. I've thought if he could be like an int-monk or knight before, but it's not really him, at least not right now. Plus I love Occultist. It's such a fun class and so great for ritual work and RP.
  • I tossed up between serpent, apostate and monk for my evil character, and then settled on rajamalan monk because the idea of a panther-girl barehanded fighter who can also use psychic attacks just absolutely -clicked- with me. (Afterwards, I realised Narga kinda reminds me of Tigress from Kung Fu Panda haha). I love how my character doesn't rely on any weapons or heavy armour (the low upkeep is a plus as well) and despite what I've heard about how monk hunting has been nerfed, I enjoy the flavour of kick punch combos in combat. The Tekura, Kaido and Telepathy skillsets fit very well with the "Strength of Body, Mind, Spirit" dictated in the Seven Truths, and a part of her character concept is built on that. Of course, Narga will only keep growing and changing as a character, just as all the other rpers would experience. I can't wait to see how she will develop in time!

• It has been an interesting ride with Illyose. Started out as a serpent, because I'd always wanted to try out the sneaky shadey side of Achaea. I loved all of the themes for the guilds and houses before the reboot, and so diving into the Serpentlords was a lot of fun to start with. I quickly found that I didn't have much patience for affliction combat though, so I wound up leaving and taking up blademaster. I had a lot of fun learning blademaster, as it felt really right for the character to be a blade wielding, elemental channelling character. However, once I found Hhaos as a father character, Knighthood really called. I went Runewarden before the rework, and I hated using double rapiers, but grit my teeth for the love of runelore rp, and the awesome family rp that ensued. Eventually that all cooled down, and I delved into the lore of the Lotus, and was inspired by their Kharon roots to go monk. I had a lot of fun as monk, and would absolutely pick it up again, I've always felt that monk just has a really well put together kit, and is a lot of fun to play around with. Telepathy remains one of my favorite skills in the game. However, terrible choices were made, and so I wound up serpent again, mostly because subterfuge is one of my other favorite skills for the pure utility in it. However, I really can't stand hypnosis, in the slightest, so when the knight changes came out I finally hit the flavor that I was looking for with Illyose from the beginning. Two-Handed Runewarden is exactly what I felt Illyose should be, well armoured, with a great big sword to chop down foes. I'll competely admit however, that if the forestal rework had come first, Illyose would of wound up a Sentinel in Eleusis for sure. Since that didn't come out first, I wound up a Merchant, and have since taken up Magi as my second class, to really play up the elemental powers that I miss from blademaster. I fell in love with Shaman for the concept of spiritlore, and the combat logs that I've seen, and so I picked that up as well. Illyose has always struck me as a little odd spiritually and before depthswalkers were a thing, he found the shadey, curse and vodun paths a great substitute for shadow magic, which is a soft spot for me. Which of course means that I am now a depthswalker, because you put scythe wielding, one of my favorite fantasy style weapons, together with shadowmancy, one of my favorite mystical fantasy types. I haven't switched out of that class since it became available, and it is absolutely one of my favorite classes, both for the utility, and the combat logs that I've seen. I've adored most of the classes in Achaea, and if I ever get the chance I will probably get every class that I can as Illyose, simply because I like options. From an rp perspective though, the nature classes call to me the most for rp flavor, druid at the top of the list, but sentinel a close second. Illyose has always had a soft spot for Nature, as I started playing him right along side his fiance, who is a druidess. I've always loved the concept of groves, a room all ones own, with the strength and power it gives to dominate that room. Reclamation is just the icing on the cake to be able to spread that control, and dominance of an area. However, given the new restrictions on the factionalized nature classes I don't expect to take up either of those classes for some time.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Why do I play:
    • Druid? Track.
    • Serpent? Phase.

Lol.... it really does just boil down to each class's signature move.
  • Reasons I play Bard; Dirge & Limerick and high speed bashing.

Wish it was more robust or RP driven than that, but nope, Group Combat and Hunting are what I enjoy most and Bard has made both of these things awesome-er (tm)
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Greys keeps a monk as his Sentaari heritage, it definitely influences the types of rituals he does. Being a depthswalker is consistent with the type of person he is, projections of his own will and power.
  • Paladin's pretty! Why be good at something that isn't stylish, right?
  • Anedhel said:
    Paladin's pretty! Why be good at something that isn't stylish, right?
    I can't say I play paladin for the pretty,  but the source rp it meant in the order.   Mila has always been the "edge" of heretical devo user,  but his hardcore knight flavor keeps him from crossing theological lines.  

He's also got a fairly open interpretation of Good as well, as he believes ends justify the means, which use to be largely frowned upon but now is a regular thing.  

The full plate, survivibilty and bashing abilities just made it that much nicer now.  Plus he's got a bloodsworn he promised to stay devo for.

Short version: RP is good