Factional Classes

edited January 2017 in North of Thera
Makarios mentioned something about Factional Classes that got me thinking and I wanted to know where my fellow Achaeans stood on the issue, specifically those of you that play said factional classes.

Do you think it is important that the factional classes we have remain factional? Obviously, for lore reasons it'd be difficult to break them away, but if it were ever to come to pass, where would you stand on it? Please explain your stance or reasoning as you see fit, but try to be civil.

Comments

• Whoops. Hit the wrong button first time and voted twice! My bad! I screwed up all the results! I honestly have no preference at all. Doesn't really affect me if other people have it.
  • Dislike this poll choice. I wouldn't be devestated but you couldn't open them to everyone as they currently are. You would have to change a lot about the classes to be able to do this under all the lore we have etc.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Though the roleplay would be iffy at best, factional classes are annoying, especially for rogues. I'm sure we'd find a way to work around the roleplay!
  • Factional classes are important and add a real dynamic to the game. Losing factional classes would be the nail in the coffin of my (already reduced) time spent playing. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    As one of the few city forestals left, I want us to stay pure and rare --- like a gleaming diamond, or a snow-white colt.
  • I'm saying ASSUMING an event occurs that justifies it.  I know it is hard to see from in RP aspect. 

Good answers so far.  I like how this is going. 

• I kinda liked when opposing factional classes couldn't be inducted but those who were already those classes were grandfathered in. 

I just like the idea if an outcast citymate.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    I would go priest in a damn heartbeat.
    Huh. Neat.
  • I would like to see nonfactional versions of factional classes (so like runewarden to infernal/paladin).
  • I would love for every city to have access to the same classes from a class balance perspective, a game balance perspective, and so people can play whatever class they enjoy while also playing in whatever faction they enjoy.

I don't think it'd be possible to justify RP-wise though, without creating clone classes that have all the same mechanics but different flavor. Not going to see Targossians giving karma to Chaos Lords.
  • I wouldn't be devestated. But I like the split. -shrug-
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• edited January 2017
    never mind
  • I dislike the poll options. I would not be devastated if the factional classes were released to the whole world, but I would greatly dislike it.

I like having a few factional classes just to keep the matchups from being total mirror matches.
  • Agreeing with @Nazihk, I wouldn't be devastated, but it helps bring some variety to combat as well as the previously mentioned roleplay issues with making them available to all

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • for those factional class that I don't mind being less factional class. However, it may requires RP play to keep your devotion in some way. One day, i would see priest trying to sign up to be mhaldorian and preaching against Sartan(while dying many times...) a true Martyr. :D also maybe there will be a new (and invisible?) tattoo that work similar to chameleon where you can activate to lie what your class would be on CWHO(and hide away from classwho). 

More opportunity to break your city/commune law that forbids such thing (and try not to get caught in an act.) 

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    While I kind of like that forestals can only join Eleusis or be rogue now, a lot of the time I also wish that the restriction wasn't there because one of the only other classes I am interested in playing, I can't pick up because no forestals in cities.

I want to be a Storm Maiden with weatherweaving :(
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I've always tinkered, personally, with the idea of a neutral faction that allowed complete freedom, including raiding, say, targ as a necro user while other citizens defend targ as devo users. It wouldn't work I think, but just a way to monitor "rogue" factional users easier I guess, while still having a sort of city community. Cyrene stays as a city with all the benefits of the city while this faction is just like a Clan but more integrated into the world, so say @Kyrra wanted a city-like community and be a sylvan, this would be her option.

I've never gotten the idea past "how in the 9 hells could you possibly implement it?!" But thought experiments are fun, and this is one I sort of enjoy indulging in.
  • Honestly while I said I'd like to see factional classes opened up, it's certain classes I'd like to see opened. Okay one, I'd like to see sentinels opened back up, too me they could be almost a bridge between forests and the cities.

I also love what @Liyane said.
  • edited January 2017
    I like how each faction has their unique advantages/disadvantages - kinda like picking an Achaean race. Basically, it comes down to picking the flavour you'd like to roll with (or vice versa: combat > flavour)

Though what I would give to be a SnB Paladin ugh  :/

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I've always been fine with the restrictions on factional classes, as much as I've always wanted to play a Sentinel. For instance, with Infernals and Apostates; Necromancy was a gift directly from Sartan, and it makes sense that it should be restricted towards those serving Evil, as that's what it was made for.

Having such factional class restrictions also lends a sense of gravity towards choosing which class and city to join, making people (usually) think twice about skipping around, but at the same time offering a level of exclusivity towards certain classes.

• I feel strongly in favour of those sorts of asymmetries, and would very much like to see more of this sort of thing.
  • I played a class which was not originally factional in the current sense. I wish it was no longer factional. I would play it again in an instant.

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• Paladin/sentinel/occultist multiclass plz

• I chuckled.
  • Guess @Sartan doesn't want to own anything more than mhaldor... that's not thinking with portals!
  • Frankly Achaea has evolved a lot since the days of Priests and Apostates running around together. The RP of the organizations has become established to the point that the players themselves would deny the classes (though I can still see several players forego RP for "OPz"). Events in the past were a great introduction of conflicting classes in orgs that players readily took up. I honestly do believe that forced factional mechanics are no longer as much a requirement and could easily be ironed out.

Past conflicts I can think of that created enmity/rivalry:

Eleusis/Nature and Chaos, that led to occultists being unwanted.
    Eleusis/Nature naturally not wanting necromancers
    Ashtan/Chaos/Occultists and Evil, that led to -many- disagreements with Necromancy and Ashtan.
    Evil seeing Nature as weak and flawed (albeit this was a bit weak, with few forestrals in Mhaldor, but seems better now).
    Hashan and Good, with many events that built in a deep resentment for the zealous faith (such as the burning of Hashan's library).
    While Hashan has had many conflicts with Nature in the past, it sadly has never developed into "Destroy/Avoid/Ban Nature".
    While Hashan has had conflict with Evil, it only truly climaxed between Ourania and Evil, and Hashan is not faith-based.

This would generally leave the following options still possible to see:

Hashan with Necromancers, Forestrals and Occultists
    Eleusis with priests
    Targ with forestrals
    (Really not sure of Cyrene rules, but I think the factional classes are not allowed by law as is?)

Naturally this is all based on interpretation and can all change from events or player political actions.

The factional classes themselves are (to a point) tied to a God or Realm that plays a major part in conflicts in Achaea. It is only natural that orgs would deny a class based on the God or Realm they are inexplicably supporting and following per the class they took. A necromancer cant say "fudge that sartan" while using the skills he gave. He is basically representing Sartan in his acts, thus the org would not look well upon them (if they dislike sartan).

In summary, I think the Playerbase has matured enough that they can do it themselves.
  • I really dislike the wording on this topic. I would not be absolutely devastated however I would not be happy. As someone who has played Achaea for well over 10 years now I have seen a lot of bizarreness. There are pros and cons to having factional classes and everyone having access to it. Remember how everyone had access to Sentinel, Sylvan, Druid and overharvesting was a problem? Yeah I do. 

From a mechanics perspective with how the faction classes are today, I do not think this is that possible overall. Achaea has evolved over the years and becoming less alliance based and more "we stand on our own, with our own". 

It wouldn't make much sense for a Necromancer to be in Targossas as the skill necromancey was developed by Sartan and his gift basically for those that wish to follow Evil beginning with the Infernals. 

I think that the appeal of like an Evil druid or Good Sentinel etc. May be plausible, but still I think it comes down to really the development that not just the factional classes, but the cities and their adaption to the changes of classes over the years. 

I think that things are fine as they are, but I don't think that there needs to be any more factional classes introduced. 

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    I know it'll never happen but @Shirszae's idea sounds fucking amazing.
    Huh. Neat.