Class Recommendation

To start off: I won't have much of the way in credits in the beginning, will mostly make small purchases here and there to supplement in-game credit acquisition. 

I'm primarily interested in a support-style class, preferably with some capacity to heal allies and self, and a large amount of utility. I would prefer to play in Mhaldor, Ashtan, or Hashan. I likely won't be involved in much 1v1, and real life tends to constrain the amount of time I can spend playing.

Answers

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited January 2017
    Based on what you're looking for, I'd recommend Runewarden. Great support and utility class. Can defend other players physically, block exits, use a variety of weapons including the bow, ink runes on companions for buffs, on ground for hindrance or healing, and prop totems which helps a lot in group combat situations when utilized smartly. You also get to use runic armour and runeblades, which are incredible.

Falconry has a ton of useful stuff in it, and Riding gives passive defence bonus when mounted, as well as the ability to block exits with a mount and jump over obstructions.

• I actually hadn't even considered Runewarden, but I'll be looking into it.

How do Alchemist, Bard, Jester, Occultist, and Depthswalker stack up in terms of support, utility, and group utility in comparison?
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I've never been any of those, so can't say, but you should have a slew of insights soon as more people see this thread.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Utility-wise, depthswalker all the way.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Bard has amazing utility in the form of there harmonics. Passive healing, resistance ... Other stuff. You can move these from room to room with you and when they fade can easily be reset without constant investment in items. (You just need an instrument).

Alchemists can give buffs as well depending if three alchemist have tweaked the orrery that year. They also have a passive room heal tick skill but can't move it like a bard can. Only problem with them is they still rely heavily of primes to be functional. You'll have to buy the primes or take the extraction trade skill.

runewarden - see above comment but be mindful you'll be running through inks like silas through new choir recruits.

i can't speak for occultist or jester other then be prepared to buy a lot of cards and spend a few hours inscribing.

depthwalker was designed to be a bridging class so you'll find a lot of utility in it that was previously factionalised. While most skills are offensive there are a few that are supremely supportive.

have you considered priest, shaman or Sylvan?

• Depthswalker, Jester, and Occultist all have tons of utility and support. Depthswalker doesn't have much in the way of ally healing. Occultist and Jester have some. My recommendation would be Depthswalker though. Better flavor than Jester, more fun to play, and not factionally tied to one city like Occultist.

Alchemist and Bard are a lot more limited in the area of support and utility.

• Runewardens are nice because they're also bashing powerhouses. Very tanky with great DPS.
  • @Tahquil
    I'm not interested in Priest due to the light and righteousness RP involved. Never been big on the "good" orgs.
    Same response for Sylvan, though I'd maybe be willing to give Eleusis a shot if it isn't too bad.
    And I haven't thought about Shaman much, but I'll look into them as well. Thank you.

@Ahmet @Farrah
    I rolled a Depthswalker a little ago, haven't gotten much into it yet. Not sure if the flavor of the class fully appeals to me, but I'll be investing more time to see. Thank you. 

@Kresslack @Nazihk
    Currently checking out Runewarden, thank you.
  • Farrah said:

Depthswalker, Jester, and Occultist all have tons of utility and support. Depthswalker doesn't have much in the way of ally healing. Occultist and Jester have some. My recommendation would be Depthswalker though. Better flavor than Jester, more fun to play, and not factionally tied to one city like Occultist.

Alchemist and Bard are a lot more limited in the area of support and utility.

Shadow healing is amazing!

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Shadow redeem is silly helpful. I just wish it didn't default to your current target if you try to shadow redeem someone you can't redeem.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Based on your requirements, I'd suggest Jester.    They're morally ambiguous enough to fit in with any of those factions and are second to none in terms of support and utility.     Fool, empress and magician give you methods to cure afflictions, health and mana respectively and you can can play an offensive support with tower, hangedman, aeon and a few things in puppetry.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Everyone hates jester flavour, though.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Jester fits the description of what they want perfectly, but I don't suggest being a jester unless you're going to be either artied or near dragon level. Too squishy otherwise.

• Shirszae said:
    Not everyone

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • I just hated the mechanics of puppetry with Jester.
  • Sobriquet said:
    Shirszae said:
    Not everyone
    Everybody worthwhile hates it.
  • Bard bard bard. Support? Harmonics are wonderful, especially when you're trans. With trans Swashbuckling you can use pesante to strip deafness and deliver a Voicecraft affliction with every jab, so even in group combat you can be helpful by actually fighting. Aria, a Voicecraft ability, adds 10% to a person's max health for like 45 seconds. I like to set up full harms and call them when we hit a group, and then use Percussia to stun enemies in the room.

• I had a similar list of desires for mechanics and I have been rather pleased with Runewarden.

I have fiddled with bard and like it, but oddly my big turnoff was finding out you can use ALL of your harmonics in one room... which, at least to me, feels lazy because you just would want all the harmonics all the time. I prefer runewarden for just this reason as you only have two runes to work with so you need to make choices (even if they're fairly obvious in most circumstances).

I am in the camp though that can't stand jester flavor hahaha. And as someone who typically plays good or good-leaning, I haven't tried occultism yet.