What do you imagine the city accents to sound like?

I've seen a couple people running about whose accents are described as, for instance, Eleusian or Mhaldorian. What do you think they sound like?

Comments

• KenwayKenway San Francisco
    Ashtan = Aussie
    Eleusian = South African
    Targossas = Cockney
    Mhaldor = American
    Cyrene = Russian
    Hashan = Edgelordian

I tend to think of surrounding regions as much softer versions of the accents for instance Vashnari or Ithmian etc.
    Also Hashan hasn't actually been relevant to my existence long enough for me to have an accent for it but the meme is real.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Kenway said:
    Ashtan = Aussie
    Eleusian = South African
    Targossas = Cockney
    Mhaldor = American
    Cyrene = Russian
    Hashan = Edgelordian

I tend to think of surrounding regions as much softer versions of the accents for instance Vashnari or Ithmian etc.
    Also Hashan hasn't actually been relevant to my existence long enough for me to have an accent for it but the meme is real.
    Targossas as Cockney? Cor blimey guv'nor, would you Adam it? Targossas is clearly "bad 70/80s Italian", not Italian-American, the appalling accents applied to people "from Italy" in TV shows from the 70s and 80s.

Cyrene is Canada.

Mhaldor is English as portrayed in US TV shows (eg, not like anyone in Britain actually speaks).

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • The real shocker to me is that Ashtan wasn't American. I feel almost insulted, but then again Australians sound cool.  I support
  • I've got it in my head that each location possesses a variant dialect of British English, possibly thanks to the spelling of certain words ingame. I imagine Targossas is more Received Pronunciation English, or the Queen's English, as opposed to Cockney. Ashtan struck me more as the type that would speak Cockney, or at least Estuary English, which I refer to lovingly as the bastard child between RP English and Cockney. Eleusis... Welsh, maybe? Scottish?
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Targossas = Iranian

Eleusis = Irish

Mhaldor = Russian or Japanese

Ashtan = American southern for the plebs and Northeast Atlantic accent for the established folks. 

Hashan = Cockney. 

Cyrene = Sweden or Minnesota
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • Tyrmalon said:
    I've got it in my head that each location possesses a variant dialect of British English, possibly thanks to the spelling of certain words ingame. I imagine Targossas is more Received Pronunciation English, or the Queen's English, as opposed to Cockney. Ashtan struck me more as the type that would speak Cockney, or at least Estuary English, which I refer to lovingly as the bastard child between RP English and Cockney. Eleusis... Welsh, maybe? Scottish?
    I definitely like the idea of them being more regional accents rather than national accents just because most people speak the same primary language it makes more sense to me.
  • Since each city has its own language, I can see them having national-ish accents when speaking common.
    Cyrenians have the old Transatlantic accent when speaking common, but more of a Quebecois thing when speaking Cyrenian.
    Ashtani are definitely Americans speaking Englishtani and butchering other languages, in this case common.
    Mhaldorians are Berliners speaking Mhaldorian, but sound like someone from Berlin who has lived in England for years when it comes to common.
    Targossas is either Haitian Creole or Italian. I'mma say Creole.
    Hashani seems kind of Hebrew to me? I don't know why. Common sounds like an Israeli-American speaking English.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    I always imagined Ashtan as French since it's the city of bro-mance.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Kyrra said:
    Cyrene is French. Not because of surrender jokes(though those are also valid) but because I can imagine them being ridiculously snobby about polluting their language and all that other stuff.
  • Ashtan - US frat bro - chugging health out of red Solo vials.  But it's a diverse place, so you'll also see the occasional Jersey accent with a blowout, too.  The women only talk about totems.  Always in quotes.  Sound like Kardashians.  Or maybe Snooki.   

Cyrene - all sound like Martha Stewart.  Even the guys.  "So the pie isn't perfect? Cut it into wedges. Stay in control, and never panic", except a Cyrenian would never admit they care so deeply about pie.  It is a history of shame and desire.  But still.

Hashan - ???!

Mhaldor - Alan Rickman (too soon?)

Targossas - I don't watch any anime except for the clips people in these games always make you watch.  But Targossas is the plucky anime heroine when she is all cute and angry and stabs you to death because YOU'RE cute.  Or.  Princess Kenny.  Which I am pretty sure is the same thing.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited January 2017
    Kiskan said:

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Nazihk said:
    Kyrra said:
    Cyrene is French. Not because of surrender jokes(though those are also valid) but because I can imagine them being ridiculously snobby about polluting their language and all that other stuff.
    Quebecois French, specifically.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Aodfionn said:

Eleusis = Irish

Get the fuck out of here, don't stick us with that shit!
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Way to prove yourself wrong there :p

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Hashan, I believe, was very heavily into the thought of German, with the buildings and some of the old food. 

• An exgirlfriend of mine was reading achaea over my shoulder from across the room while I was idling at center crossing and asked me why people in game spoke with Chinese accents. I was pretty puzzled about it until I scrolled up and saw perdynmos say with a cheerful "cyrenese" accent whatever pastry chat commentary was relevant at the time and I lol'd heartily. Now cyrenians are all bakers, artists and whatever else a cyrene do voiced by Jackie Chan in my head.

Always imagined mhaldor as Slavic, ashtan as American and shallam as French. I never think much about either hashan or 'loosis so I dunno what they'd be. Targossas uses Arabic, or maybe urdu, to better represent their jihadi genes

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be

@Khairt

#Verrucht :heart:
    Huh. Neat.
  • Mhaldorian accent
  • Minifie said:
    Mhaldorian accent
    I'm Mhaldorian. Blah blah blahhh.

• Cyrene - Neutral city surrounded by chilly mountains and full of artisans - makes me think of the Swiss, always thought of everyone having a Scandinavian accent. I mentally pronounce Vallie like 'Vaul-lee' (not sure how else to represent the glottal sort of drop in the middle).

Eleusis - As badass as I think all the Forestal stuff is, the shouts/people I've met have (unfortunately?) associated it with the stereotypical hippy kind of accent. Sorry :(

Targossas - Everything I've read about Shallam  and even a lot of the Targossian family names makes me think Arabic (@Atalkez always pops up in my head for this). Since I don't know exactly what that sounds like, I snap default to like the Assassin's Creed 1/2 Arabic.

Hashan - Every Hashanite I've met is really quirky, and with all the darkness vibes and every other room having some ghostygoo screaming at you, I think punk/metalhead British. Like mosh pit British, but still with the tea.

Mhaldor - Aggressive German (*fans*), I really like the public posts I've read from Mhaldorians. But then @Aegoth will shout something and I get a Wayne's World vibe. If you add ", dude!" to the end of everything it fits really well.

Ashtan - Feels playful, proud, and kind of silly. @Jinsun tried to steal from me once, and when it didn't work he just smiled, bowed, and left. So now they're all assorted accents a la Pirates of the Caribbean in my head (*double fans*) - less yarr, but every Ashtani I've interacted with has been quite well-spoken, and fits a lot of the flowery speech from the movies. @Dunn's pro-Babel shouts during the splinters and stuff, I've mentally heard as Barbossa >_>

Very pleasant things to hear all around, but might be biased to mostly all the accents I like (except the hippy one. Sorry, 'loosis.)
  • Vallie said:

Hashan - Every Hashanite I've met is really quirky, and with all the darkness vibes and every other room having some ghostygoo screaming at you, I think punk/metalhead British. Like mosh pit British, but still with the tea.

I approve!

• I'm just going to put this here:

You all know the war is over and not every german is an aggresive dictator, right?

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Coamenel said:
    I'm just going to put this here:

You all know the war is over and not every german is an aggresive dictator, right?

Someone should tell my father that. He acts like Hitler is still alive. :)
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I specified aggressive German, because most of the German/German accents I've heard 'cause of friends/relationships are actually very soft, very smooth and soothing. But my college years were spent at industrial/metal scenes, not raves, so I like it when it's more guttural or growly too.

I normally can't imagine most Mhaldorians speaking with the former because of how grandiose or statement-oriented the text tends to be. That being said, @Kiet and @Helewys I've interacted with 1 on 1 and those I imagined as much more of a serene sound.
  • Say what you want about Hitler, but he was one hell of a public speaker.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Given that Shallamese was basically supposed to be Arabic, and Targossian is something that might to the untrained ear sound similar, I always kind of imagine Farsi, or Turkish, when I think Targossian. And because there are a lot of Shallamese (Arabic!) transplants, many many loan words. 

Those languages are so pretty. <3 Targ. 

Eleusis I always kinda pictured as Pictish or Gaelic or something kinda old-timey British Isles-y. Blue painted druids and all that. 

Ashtani I always pictured to be Latin, given how many of their public office and City rank titles are just repurposed Roman government/class terms. 

To be honest, I always imagined Mhaldorian being some made-up language. Never really thought about it tons, but Black Speech from LoTR, or something like that is probably what I was closest to in my head. 

Hashan and Cyrene never really made enough of a cultural impression to think of them as anything other than boring American :(

I suppose, though, that given their city titles which are very reminiscent of Rennaissance/Victorian English social classes and their love for Greek loanwords, Cyrenians could just be high-class English public school kids (in the land of the backwards, where public school is super fancy and prestigious :/). 
  • Kiskan said:
    Ashtan - US frat bro - chugging health out of red Solo vials.  But it's a diverse place, so you'll also see the occasional Jersey accent with a blowout, too.  The women only talk about totems.  Always in quotes.  Sound like Kardashians.  Or maybe Snooki.   

Cyrene - all sound like Martha Stewart.  Even the guys.  "So the pie isn't perfect? Cut it into wedges. Stay in control, and never panic", except a Cyrenian would never admit they care so deeply about pie.  It is a history of shame and desire.  But still.

Hashan - ???!

Targossas - I don't watch any anime except for the clips people in these games always make you watch.  But Targossas is the plucky anime heroine when she is all cute and angry and stabs you to death because YOU'RE cute.  Or.  Princess Kenny.  Which I am pretty sure is the same thing.
    That actually sounds right for Mhaldor. I mean, @Mishgul sounds similarish? What of Shallamese? Those are floating around still too.