Make weather great again!

I've played in Cyrene for most of my Achaea career, and if there's one thing I always really liked, it was the weather. Cyrene would have rain in the summers (enough to make jokes of) and blizzards in the winter, and it captured both the changing seasons, and the feel of living in this cold mountain valley. 

A while back now, though, we got the changes to the weather code, and while some of the changes were nice (temperatures that made sense! Ambient messages!) the end result feels, at least to me, like a step down from the old code. Instead of precipitation, we got more places where the wind will block your attempts to speak (which is more annoying then immersive, I find), and places where there are perpetually gale-force winds that will knock you out of the sky.

Even worse, seasons seem to have been lost entirely. Cyrene now sits at a comfortable temperature year-round, with no rain or snow or anything. We have a set temperature in a realistic range, instead of the completely dysfunctional ones in the old system, but it still ends up as far less immersive, I feel, because that temperature still doesn't make sense. And there's no rain, or snow, or any precipitation at all, it seems. What was once an interesting feature of the city is now just gone.

Between what we have now and what we had before, I honestly think the old setup worked better, and so, if it's not likely that we'll see weather and variable temperatures added under the new system, I'd like to seriously suggest that we just use the old weather system again. Given all the weariness of how clothing level is calculated, and how the ambient messages work, I think that little immersion would be lost, while a whole lot more could be regained.

Comments

• All that would of course be ideal, and I -think- it's implemented somewhat currently. I'd have to go back and find the quotes from when the system was put in place, but we do have ambient temperature messages now, I know, just one's coded to make the game unplayable if you have the wrong clothing.

The system as it is now, though, doesn't really make that obvious, particularly because the code to determine how dressed you are is -very- hard to work with. This means that even the lines we do have basically never come into effect.

At this point, though, I've little hope for a serious weather system that does variable (and logical) temperatures, season changes, and things like that. I really just want weather back. A more robust system of temperature messages would be neat, but I think that just making it able to snow, and letting people react for that, often provides more room for immersive roleplay.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    They added "realism" to rivers with currents, and look how well received that was.
  • I also miss the Hashan / blizzard jokes. Goggles were actually a useful item back then.
  • There's a difference between fucking rivers that make gathering gold flakes literal hell (and generally just grief novices) and "brrr im cold"
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Yeah, I really miss when it would sometimes rain, and the blizzards in Cyrene. Can't remember the last time I saw either of those, unfortunately. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Blizzards in Cyrene are my favourite.

Taking slow sips from the Blizzard Kawhe, you luxuriate in the chilled taste of this rich beverage. 

Your body begins to feel more energized and your breath cooler as you swallow the drink. Grinning 

slightly, you lick some of the whipped cream off your upper lip.

Huh. Neat.

• Does anyone know if they're just rarer, or if they actually happen at all anymore? I could just be missing it, but I legitimately don't think I've seen any precipitation since the weather changes went in however long ago.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    It doesnt rain at all anymore. I can't remember a single time it has happened ever since the weather changes. Its like the snow and the rain was transformed into wind.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I would love to see more of this idea take fruition live
  • edited November 2016
    I would also love it. Even if it's just text at the end of the room description in a different color. Even simple things like the trees are changing color would be fine.  Often I have to look up the date and suddenly pretend I'm cold
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
    Was gonna do this in Realms, but now I'm too lazy, so
    walk to Keorin/Shirszae/Daklore

' so i herd u liek blizzerdz... ; evoke snowstorm

• @Daklore I failed that test the first time getting g turned around @ Centre of all places and wound up in with the blackbirds. . . . I remember that, sadly enough.  . . 

On topic, weather is good
  • Krypton said:
    They added "realism" to rivers with currents, and look how well received that was.
    i think they should add depth to the river so that way if there is smaller depth to river, it won't carry you away because you are able to stand fine on your own. but then you might need waterwalk boot to cross the river. :p

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • Hurricanes hitting little Prin
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Exxia said:
    Hurricanes hitting little Prin
    The Storm cleanses!

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."