Logosmas, Stockings, and Candycanes!

Comments

• Antonius said:
    Coamenel said:
    You open a fancy platinum stocking and find a globe of shifting continents, an elegant diamond vial,
    548 gold sovereigns, and a group of 19 lobelia seeds inside!

The two halves of the globe split open to reveal 30 credits!
    You have been awarded with a talisman cache!
    As the two halves fade away, you realise that you've also been gifted with 1980 gold sovereigns, a
    group of 31 ginseng roots, a group of 10 steel bars, and an oaken vial!
    The gold is whisked directly into your bank account in Eleusis, giving you a new balance of 336980
    gold.

You open a fancy platinum stocking and find a phial of shimmering permanent ink, an elegant diamond
    vial, 891 gold sovereigns, and a group of 9 pieces of rope inside!

I have to say I was counting on something a whole lot better than this :(
    Regular fancy stocking costs $15, which will buy you about 38 credits. Let's say average assumed value for prizes per stocking is 40 credits.Your double value stockings ended up giving you 105 credits worth of value on average.

If you're disappointed it might just be because you had unreasonable expectations.
    Perhaps my expectations were too high. Does not change the fact that I was hoping for something better from a golden stocking than 3 vials and a perma tattoo. Specifically since the announce post suggested significant arties to be found. 

I'm not complaining, I'm merely stating that I expected better rewards than those found in regular fancy stockings. 
  • You guys have some pretty unreasonable expectations with these stockings, and that's putting it in a polite way. 

The majority of them posted are the bonus stocking from the $4.99 stockings. $4.99 gets you 10 credits. Each one has had a value of 30 credits or more. This was also a bonus stocking, and the original stockings had more value per $ than just buying credits.

Don't forget you also had the chance to get a good artefact from then too, these are a form of gambling! 

Only valid complaint is that they had prizes other than candy canes in them. 

• It's like people forget these are a gambling promo.

IRE can't offer 200% credit bonuses every time you open one of these, that's not gambling.

Some of these complaints read like you're mad that you put 2 bets on the blackjack table and barely broke even instead of fleecing the house. Get real!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Each tier of stocking consistently generated roughly the same amount of canes. Because of this I thought the golden would be a double cane maybe slightly better chance of a prize situation. Having said that...

Glad I was wrong because I got 30cr from a regular golden stocking and from a golden grand I got a pair of custom mayan bracelets and the custom silver whistle. (can't copy paste the results because I opened the stockings on my phone at work.)

Super happy about that and I'm sure I am not the only one who didn't get a cruddy roll on the stockings so no backsies!!
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    A normal stocking that was a gift I opened on Christmas day had 3 candy canes and a Mayan crown. I'm pretty stoked.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Frederich said:
    Naoma said:
    Frederich said:
    Do the plat/gold stockings not come with candy canes????

I was under the assumption that they'd come with them since it's DOUBLE the rewards...
    No they do not its about the same or less from normal stockings that has been noted
    Yeah this is what is really annoying me about this.

These stockings are, supposed to, be "double the worth" what a normal stocking it (with chances at bigger prizes).  From the looks of it, the extravagant bonus has been pretty 'meh' with the normal stockings giving decent-ish...

I was under the assumption that, whenever it said DOUBLE, you'd get double candy canes too (which is what helps make it 2x)... not... 2 chances at prizes with no canes, as compared to 1 w/ 90+ canes.
    Man, I just don't want two "temporary" artifacts for a grand stocking.

Yay... I have 60 hours of 10% resistances. After that, nadda!

Yaaaay temporary artifacts. Said no one ever.
  • they trade in for like 44cr or so
  • Cooper said:

You guys have some pretty unreasonable expectations with these stockings, and that's putting it in a polite way. 

The majority of them posted are the bonus stocking from the $4.99 stockings. $4.99 gets you 10 credits. Each one has had a value of 30 credits or more. This was also a bonus stocking, and the original stockings had more value per $ than just buying credits.

Don't forget you also had the chance to get a good artefact from then too, these are a form of gambling! 

Only valid complaint is that they had prizes other than candy canes in them. 
    Yeah my problem isn't the value it's the fact that there's no candy canes and these were last year's stockings. I understand that some people are happy with what they got, but I bought stockings this year. I expect that they'd correspond to this year's offerings.

ANNOUNCE NEWS #4461 (12/01/2015 at 00:11)
    To : Everyone
    Subject: December is here!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    December is here! While the snow falls, and we count down the days until the holidays, things will be far from quiet here in Achaea!
    * Year 700 is slated to start -TOMORROW- (December 2) at around 2300 GMT! We'll be kicking things off with a Treasure hunt and from there lead in many contests and competitions as we seek out the next adventurer to wield the Staff of Nicator!
    * The Artisanal and Bardic contests draw to a close on December 31, with the current theme of "Competition" being the unifying theme on all of the entires.
    * Combat Rankings also close on December 31 - there's still time to climb to the top and claim your credit prizes!
    * A brand new promotion is now active: Logosmas stockings! These are new items that you'll be able to pick up on the website and be able to hang up in-game for you or your friends! Once you've purchased them, you can simply HANG STOCKING FOR ME or HANG STOCKING FOR <adventurer> and it will be placed in the room! You can additionally add ANONYMOUS to the end to give someone an anonymous gift!
    Once hung, Ironbeard will drift through the realms at the next in-game midnight and fill them with gifts! Stockings come in 4 varieties: Logosmas, Fancy, Grand, and Extravagant, with each tier containing higher and higher values of gifts inside! That's not to say that you'll luck out if you stick with the Logosmas stockings, as they have a chance to contain the higher tiered gifts.
    You will be able to see the status of all of their hung stockings with the STOCKINGS command, and once Ironbeard has filled one, simply go to the room and OPEN STOCKING (or <STOCKING#> if there are many in the room). Only you can open your stockings, so no need to worry about the nasty Krampus coming to steal your gifts! Once you open your stocking, it will be destroyed.
    Additionally, for every 5 stockings of each type you purchase, you'll receive either a gold or platinum stocking of that tier! So if you purchase 5 fancy stockings, you'll get a gold (or platinum) fancy stocking. These special versions contain double the reward value as the regular versions! Ironbeard only has so much room in his sack, so these stockings will only be filled on December 25th (gold) and January 1st, 2016 (platinum). All unhung gold stockings will be converted to platinum versions after December 25. These tallies count over multiple purchases, so if you purchase 5 single stockings over the month, you'll get a special version with your 5th purchase.
    So on to the prize possibilities:
    - Eagles Wings (customised)
    - Hunter's Belt (customised)
    - Wand of Portals (customised)
    - Mayan bracelets (customised)
    - Ring of the Magus (customised)
    - Ranger's bow w/ shooting (customised)
    - Artefact vial (customised)
    - Gem of Transmutation
    - Lesser and Greater Stones of Wonder (See ANNOUNCE #4452)
    - Shard of the Lesser Lorewarden
    - Ink-stained rose thorn (See ANNOUNCE #4447)
    - Ledolian Surcoat (See ANNOUNCE #4447)
    - A trader's reference (new artefact - allows the use of the commodity market from anywhere)
    - Prospector's guidebook (new artefact - increases the maximum number of mines by 1)
    - Globe of Shifting continents
    - Phial of shimmering permanent ink
    - Mayan Crowns
    - Reincarnations and trait resets
    - Whetstones (free weapon proficiency)
    - Customisation figurines
    - Humgii racing tickets
    - Seftonium and Lucrecent nuts
    - Shop of Wonder stat/crit/experience boost vials
    - Tophats
    - One of three new minipets (caribou fawn, seal pup, white lion cub - these interact with the mount versions below)
    - One of three new collared mounts (caribou, walrus, and white lion)
    - An Ironbeard battle figurine
    - Credits and gold
    * For those who are just looking for straight credits, we'll be offering a 30% bonus to all regular credit packages on the website too!
    Penned by My hand on the 4th of Glacian, in the year 699 AF.

• Jhui said:
    they trade in for like 44cr or so
    Which is pretty poop considering a fancy stocking slammed down a phial and a vial.

Grand is higher tier.
  • You got way more bang for your buck out of that one than the average is, I'm sure.

A fancy stocking is $15, but you got 150c value from the vial and ink. Even trading them in, you would come out at 99 credits.

Thats roughly $45 for a $15 investment. You can't use that as your expectation level for these things.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • edited December 2016
    Atalkez said:
    You got way more bang for your buck out of that one than the average is, I'm sure.

A fancy stocking is $15, but you got 150c value from the vial and ink. Even trading them in, you would come out at 99 credits.

Thats roughly $45 for a $15 investment. You can't use that as your expectation level for these things.
    I was saying the Fancy one was legit (And fell above expectations, they were supposed to be ~2x the value). The grand one was lack luster.

IE: 

You open a grand platinum stocking and find a Ledolian Surcoat, a Ledolian Surcoat, 1416 gold 
    sovereigns, and 2037 gold sovereigns inside!

49cr/tradein so let's call it 100cr. Bound.

I got all sorts of useful stuff from my normal grands, the golden one was a waste of time.

Temp artifacts aren't even the same value as normal artifacts due to them only having a certain # of charges. Sure 10% all resist is nice, but I'd rather have something that didn't only have a certain # of charges that I can use as a better tradein. Drinking horns were super common in Grand stockings.

Even given what I got out of my previous grand stockings. They came with ~30 candycanes. That's 120cr alone, along with the artie.
  • What @Senoske said.  The fact that this stocking that is supposed to be worth "twice as much" giving less than the candy cane value seems super.. super wrong.

I was pining on the fact that we would, in fact, be getting candycanes with these.

Are these stockings not supposed to have candy-canes @Makarios ?
  • Tagging @nicola for that same question.
  • There is a chance for candycanes, but the bigger and better prizes are more common.
  • You open a fancy stocking and find a group of 9 candycanes and a group of 29 lobelia seeds inside!

this makes me sad

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • Nicola said:
    There is a chance for candycanes, but the bigger and better prizes are more common.
    Well.. here's to hoping my new years stocking doesn't fill me with disappointment...
  • You open a fancy platinum stocking and find a globe of shifting continents, a globe of shifting
    continents, 1121 gold sovereigns, and a group of 30 ginseng roots inside!

The two halves of the globe split open to reveal 23 credits!
    As the two halves fade away, you realise that you've also been gifted with 2835 gold sovereigns, a
    group of 25 bloodroot leaves, a group of 10 coal pieces, and an oaken vial!
    The gold is whisked directly into your bank account in Cyrene, giving you a new balance of 105835
    gold.

The two halves of the globe split open to reveal 19 credits!
    As the two halves fade away, you realise that you've also been gifted with 180 gold sovereigns, a
    group of 14 sileris berries, a group of 10 wood commodities, and an oaken vial!
    The gold is whisked directly into your bank account in Cyrene, giving you a new balance of 106015
    gold.

Someday I'll find out what I did to make Ironbeard mad at me.

• One fancy stocking = $15

$15 worth of credits = 37.5 credits

You got 42 credits, and had the chance of a decent amount more on your free bonus stocking.

Again, expectations are WAY too high for the stockings.

• edited December 2016
    To my understanding, golden stockings are supposed to have double the reward value of regular stockings, which would have put that one at 42 credits from a reward value of 75.

I may well be reading things wrong somewhere, but best I can tell, it was an unlucky pull.
  • Unlucky compared to the more lucky people, sure, but you still got way more purchasing 5 stockings and getting a free one than if you had bought the same dollars worth of credits.

• That one was a present, actually, so my original post was meant more in a "got unlucky on this roll" sense then a "I don't feel like I got my money's worth" sense.

And before anyone says anything, no, I'm not complaining about free credits, I always need more of those. Half the fun of the stockings is getting to open them, besides. Just good-natured griping about a poor loot roll in an rpg.
  • 101 candycanes and a hunter's belt for the last big prize of this promo if anyone is curious to know what it was.
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • I still have empty stockings, so there is hope for me! Or delayed gratification. Or delayed, "Oy, why did I spend the money?"

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• edited December 2016
    nvm. Misread sorry!
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Platinum. Gold filled at Christmas. Any unhung gold ones became platinum then.
    Huh. Neat.
  • edited December 2016
    Edit: nvm found answer in other thread
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    Are the big reward in next 50 things still happening? @Makarios @Nicola

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • Kenway said:
    Are the big reward in next 50 things still happening? @Makarios @Nicola
    It will remain a possibility until January 1st.