Poll: Which modern Achaean House is the best and why?

Comments

• @Bann owch

also I'm pretty sure party duels are where you get two parties together and they fight it out in an arena. I think

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • That's a party spar. Duel is doing it outside of the arena.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    If you aren't fighting for something, what's the point?
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • @Aereidhna- I'm with @Jonathin's usually salty ass in this. If there's no risk it's not fun. Duking it out at NoNT isn't the same as doing it in a city with guards and stuff.

• AereidhnaAereidhna Dallas
    edited December 2016
    Okay...? No one's forcing you not to participate in raids. I was just suggesting alternative activities for people who are interested in combat in a city that is focused on neutrality and almost never gets raided, and who don't want to move to a city that welcomes factional conflict. I'm still a big believer that trying different things is more fun than sitting around complaining about having nothing to do. But to each their own.
  • I'd hope we can all agree that Cyrene has more appeal then just its lack of raids.
    edited December 2016
    How are people being forced not to participate in raids? Raiding other cities is not allowed and hasn't been for as long as I've played in Cyrene (including back when we were getting raided regularly, well before the amnesty). But defending is just fine. 

I don't like to see people leave the city. And I also understand that if someone really desperately wants city vs city conflict (which is more or less the definition of raiding) a neutral city might not fulfill what they are looking for. I'm not sure how to fulfill their needs without compromising Cyrene's neutrality by provoking other cities for lulz, and I also don't have any control over whether or not other cities choose to randomly raid us. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

(edited: I used to enjoy raid defense when we got one every now and then, but even then, it was just Ashtan and Mhaldor getting bored and coming to fuck with us randomly, and it didn't happen that often. Maybe the 'good old days' of raid defense happened before I came around.)
  • Gods forbid I want to participate in group combat now and again without my character having to swear to some higher power.
  • I loved the Insidium! It had a lot of shape left to take and history to be made but it was so awesome. 

I was was looking forward to helping to get the Legates on the same progressive path but went dormant due to real life issues, but I think Legates had even more potential to be very defined. It is on its way.

edited December 2016
    Okay, I'm sorry that I apparently came across as seeing things that way. I don't. I appreciate and respect Cyrene's combatants and have cheered folks like Bron and Dochitha on plenty when they've fucked people's shit up.

I struggle because I like being inclusive and I don't want to pull the 'if you don't like it then leave' line - because honestly that rubs me the wrong way in real life. But I also think that there are plenty of avenues for people to create positive change like getting more involved, coming up with ideas to improve their House, etc. I get that sometimes the environment isn't receptive to change, but a lot of people do not even try.

Ultimately, it's not up to me what other people choose to do. For me, when things went south for me in my old faction and I wasn't getting any enjoyment out of it and no amount of throwing myself into trying to make things better was making me happier, I re-rolled in Cyrene and ended up much better off for it. But, again, to each their own.
  • Aereidhna said:
    I get that sometimes the environment isn't receptive to change, but a lot of people do not even try.
    Plenty of people have tried. Look at what happened to all them. Cyrene's army might as well be just Bronislav at this point.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Skye said:
    Write all the annoying ads you can get away with. 
    I think your handjob poster takes the cake.
  • Tahquil said:
    Combat acceptance isn't about allowing raids. It's about letting those who do indulge in the odd spot of sword pokey pokey still feel like they are welcome citizens. Not pitching a pink fit and demanding they be punished/turfed outside city limits because X followed them when they returned to Cyrene for more curatives or, god forbid, return for a rest and to interact with their fellow citizens.
    Honestly, I don't think Bronislav or Dochitha or any of the actual combatants in Cyrene had a big problem with this. I know Dochitha was worried about it sometimes, but I always reassured him and Bronislav seems to be fine with it.

If people are pitching fits about this kind of thing, maybe there's someone that could be informed so that people could be spoken with and understanding could be had.

• You mean the senators that tell the person "Try not to do it, X is pitching a fit and I don't want to deal with that noise." Then go and tell X "I've spoken to them about it" Making X feel validated and superior?
  • Tahquil said:
    You mean the senators that tell the person "Try not to do it, X is pitching a fit and I don't want to deal with that noise." Then go and tell X "I've spoken to them about it" Making X feel validated and superior?
    Oh my bad. I was trying to be helpful. I recognise my error now.

• edited December 2016
    Cool. Since you've had this moment of clarity feel welcome to read through the thread again and see if it can be applied to more points of concern that have been brought up.

Edit by request : 

• edited December 2016
    Tahquil said:
    Cool. Since you've had this moment of clarity feel welcome to read through the thread again and see if it can be applied to more points of concern that have been brought up.
    Honestly? Nah. If people have actual concerns they can actually bring them up in game or through messages/PM. I came in mostly politely, and feel no need to cater to people just being bitchy.

• edited December 2016
    Well bitch,

I CAME IN LIKE A WRECKING BALL.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Bann said:
    - I'm with @Jonathin's usually salty ass in this.
    My ass is not salty and I object to the insinuation that you've tried it before.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • @Jonathin - Bruh it's salty af. But it's okay, some people are just naturally more saline than others.

• Watchman said:
    Cyrene could march on other cities in an attempt to unify them under the beige banner of neutrality.

• Nazihk said:
    Shirszae said:
    Right now the Shield is pretty useless since no one raids Cyrene. I mean, sure, combat House, but as far as purpose go, its pretty sad. I really wish there was something more to it. Or more raids happening in Cyrene. Please raid Cyrene more.
    Sorry, no raiding Cyrene for me. It has the best shops and I don't want to pull an @Exxia and end up dropping 45k on potash.
    Shit, you don't do anything in raids but spam your bash attack, so OF COURSE no raiding even a bunch of midbie noncoms in Cyrene for you.
  • edited December 2016
    This was a public paste someone had put up, but for whatever reason, pastebin stopped indexing it shortly thereafter (and seems to be having trouble indexing it period), so I will drop it here, because I have less investment over here and I guess it's easier for me to just do.  It's actually one of the reasons I agree so heartily with Skye's post.  It took me a long, long, long time to better understand how certain things about the games work because frankly, I was ridiculously naive.  Anyway, sometimes what seems totally reasonable (and actually IS totally reasonable, like wanting the thrill of the occasional raid) might come with a hell of a lot of strings attached (or uncanned worms).  

Being raided (and raiding) can be a lot of fun, and efforts have been made to allow the defenders to sort of "turn off" the raid if they really want to and need to.  And it IS the right approach because the best way to protect players from excessive punishment in an IRE game really does seem to be to mechanically limit the damage others can do (which allows them to leave the actual rules fairly fluid).  But for whatever reason (I'd put at least some of it down to social engineering maybe?), people do seem to have a hell of a time pushing the flush button, even when they're really really really done.  So there's that.

I found this log right after that Mhaldor raid people were fairly unhappy about and it seems like a conversation that probably did really happen.  The reason it's special, is because you don't often get this kind of candor from anyone who's halfway smart about being a jerk.  I don't really know Jhui, but I get the impression that he is probably mostly very, very very smart about being a jerk.  So when someone does show you how they think, listen.  And I see two things he's thinking 1)  griefing is pretty darned acceptable right up to the line it doesn't get me shrubbed 2)  Boy, you guys are suckers

But he's just one dude.  It's really not about him.  It's about wherever that threshold of jackassery is.  It might be a lot higher than you thought it was, and a lot higher than you are prepared for.  

http://pastebin.com/3362dQ8j