Poll: Which modern Achaean House is the best and why?

edited December 2016 in North of Thera
Curious to see what people's thoughts are. I'd prefer you don't just vote for your own House, I want to hear WHY you find it the most interesting. The purpose? The people? The patron? The culture?

The forums limit is 10 options so take the poll

Support and discuss your choices below!

Comments

• edited December 2016
    Tried to embed it, no luck!
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Whichever house has the laxest security.
    Huh. Neat.
  • I voted for the Insidium!

Great culture, requirements, rank titles, and leadership (<3 @Ysela and @Saeva). I truly enjoyed my time there. I never got a chance to try the Legates, unfortunately.
  • Nazihk said:
    I voted for the Dawnblades just for Farrah. :(

<3
  • dawnblades, I get a cool dawnblade sword which i push into the ground and it tracks my kills
    spread positivity
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    As an outsider looking in, I think the Virtuosi have done well and continue to be interesting. I like how they're set up and that their house has a culture that includes not only the city of Cyrene, but invites non-Cyrenians as well to their performances. It's not too often Houses are that inclusive in interacting with the rest of Achaea at large.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Right now the Shield is pretty useless since no one raids Cyrene. I mean, sure, combat House, but as far as purpose go, its pretty sad. I really wish there was something more to it. Or more raids happening in Cyrene. Please raid Cyrene more.

Anyway. I somewhat agree that Post-ren all Houses feel slightly meh. Old Houses, to me, were better in every possible way, except perhaps in regards to class restriction. I don't think the New Houses have found their feet yet, for the most part. The Virtuosi at least, though, seems to do pretty well, at least within Cyrene, which is what matters the most. Not all Houses aim for worldwide renown (though it'd be nice and fitting if they did) I see much less regarding the Outriders, unfortunately ,even though their concept fascinates me as well.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Eh, I just think the way the Renaissance was designed closed the door on worldwide renown (at least for factional Houses). Adjusting to Houses' primary role being to serve the city is a big adjustment. I deeply miss the old way of doing things (and went through a lot of frustration with Achaea and the process during the Renaissance) but I feel like we have to adapt to the way things are now and make the best of it. With some Houses I think there's a reluctance to change the things that might be meh (like structure and requirements) or shake things up, which can be stifling at times.
  • I voted for the Dawnblade because I want a housefavour
  • Dawnblade

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • I feel like I haven't identified with a house in years. Maybe it was my multi year stint at the city leader level, but I just don't pay attention to houses anymore. Makes me sad. 

• Still have so much love for the Ashura. Miss that house so much.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Aereidhna said:
    Eh, I just think the way the Renaissance was designed closed the door on worldwide renown (at least for factional Houses). Adjusting to Houses' primary role being to serve the city is a big adjustment. I deeply miss the old way of doing things (and went through a lot of frustration with Achaea and the process during the Renaissance) but I feel like we have to adapt to the way things are now and make the best of it. With some Houses I think there's a reluctance to change the things that might be meh (like structure and requirements) or shake things up, which can be stifling at times.
    So much this. I wish houses were open to members outside there home city. Or at least some of them were. Though, I understand why it's not the case.
    Huh. Neat.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Qirua said:
    The Krymenian Academy. The requirements for each rank are reasonable, and there's freedom to complete your tasks in a variety of ways. The paths of study seem to be broken up rather well and the members of the house are really friendly and helpful. 
    It makes me feel good to know that you are liking it. Everyone involved in the recent changes to how things work put a lot of thought and effort into coming up with ways to make the whole newcomer experience more enjoyable.

Two of them don't use the forums, so I'll share the sentiment and I'm sure that it'll give them the fuzzies, too.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Vanguard house best house.

• Xaden said:
    Still have so much love for the Ashura. Miss that house so much.

Don't get me started :( Not looking to cry on Christmas day
  • Jonathin said:
    Qirua said:
    The Krymenian Academy. The requirements for each rank are reasonable, and there's freedom to complete your tasks in a variety of ways. The paths of study seem to be broken up rather well and the members of the house are really friendly and helpful. 
    It makes me feel good to know that you are liking it. Everyone involved in the recent changes to how things work put a lot of thought and effort into coming up with ways to make the whole newcomer experience more enjoyable.

Two of them don't use the forums, so I'll share the sentiment and I'm sure that it'll give them the fuzzies, too.

The one thing that I enjoy about the Academy is that it is very casual to the point where you can take time off to hunt to dragon, take time off to what do whatever, even go dormant for a while and it allows you to pick up right where you left off with out really missing anything. 

With estate finally being finished a lot of positive things have happened to the Academy and with the current lineup of leadership I expect it to continue.

• Shirszae said:
    Right now the Shield is pretty useless since no one raids Cyrene. I mean, sure, combat House, but as far as purpose go, its pretty sad. I really wish there was something more to it. Or more raids happening in Cyrene. Please raid Cyrene more.

Also I just feel that I should point out that you don't have to wait for other people and you can go pick a fight with somebody else yourself. Be the change you want to see in the world, etc etc etc.

If nothing else you can probably find some Order willing to play slow pitch shrinewar with you. Do it Darkenwood style, keep it contained to one area, etc.
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Nazihk said:
    Also I just feel that I should point out that you don't have to wait for other people and you can go pick a fight with somebody else yourself. Be the change you want to see in the world, etc etc etc.

You can't do this in Cyrene tho. 
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • AereidhnaAereidhna Dallas
    edited December 2016
    You can't bring conflict to Cyrene, but you can join Dauntless, fight in the arena or Annwyn, etc.
  • Keorin said:
    I maintain that the Shield -could- be a great house, if some things were different. We have a good advancement system, and some of the most interesting/best written ceremonies that I've seen post-reneissance. But Cyrene as a whole can be very stifling to combatants (let's remember that "you can't bring conflict to Cyrene" means that you can't defend other cities, and that you have to accept all comers as dauntless for fear that Ashtan might come again), we've lost most of our best fighters and teachers to boredom/dormancy/political disagreement (Aerek/Kenway/Dochitha/Wessux), and while I like our leaders as people, the most I've seen them do to address our dwindling numbers is to make the novice requirements easier, which has unsurprisingly done little to motivate the people who aren't advancing anyways. I think it's going to take sustained effort by people to start building this house up, and I don't see it happening currently, particularly since our leaders, like all Cyrenian ones, it seems, have little interest in stepping down no matter how long they've been in power or how little time or ideas they have.
    Bringing up how nice your ceremonies are when you are talking about a failing combat house has to be the most Cyrenian thing I have ever seen on these forums. 

The Cyrene combat house is floundering because it is a combat house in Cyrene. That's really all there is to it.

You are not going to have a healthy combat house in a city that actively avoids all conflict because a city that actively avoids conflict won't maintain a stable population of fighters. That is the bottom line. The good fighters, generally speaking, like to fight. As a result they, generally speaking, don't live in cities that try to avoid fighting. There is no way to fix the house unless you can address this discrepancy.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited December 2016
    Keorin said:

The Somatikos has a lot of cool people, but no one seems to know what the point of the house is in practical terms. They reject being a combat house, but they don't seem to want to be anything else. With the Krymenian being about academic RP, it seems like the somatikos is just everything that's -not- that, especially with Hashan's population boom bringing in a lot more people.

The Krymenian has good potential and what seem to be good leaders, they just seem to slightly lack a few really good writers/roleplayers to really tackle the rp aspects of things. The biggest shame here, in my mind, is that the house did such a bad job bringing the old alchemy academy into the fold/building upon what they did, making it's removal a major loss for the game, and one that this house hasn't managed to truly make up for. Their estate is awesome, though, I'll say that.

The problem with the Hashani Houses is not with them but with the point of view from which people see them. I won't go into depth about it here but I will say that if you look at them the old way, they don't make as much sense as they would if you unlearn what you've learned about Houses.

As for the Academy, what you see is a shell that we (by we, I mean 5 people not including me) are trying to fill in. The original concept was, no offence to the founders, far too narrow and it was going to turn into another Spiritwalkers fiasco. So basically, if you want to come in and write a bunch of stuff up on alchemy, I'm all for it., but you can't sit there and blame the founders for leaving a gap that nobody else has bothered to fill either. Personally, I find alchemy and astronomy to be about as interesting as getting my toenails ripped off, so I'm not sure as hell not going to do it.

#WhiteKnightForTheHouse
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.