The 80-100 Push. A Bashing Guide

Hello all,

As I've started into the final two stages of grinding (80-90, 90-100) I've noticed that there is a steep curve in not just how to bash, but where. There are already threads on some locations and there are individual class posts on bashing skill tips - but I thought it would be helpful to gather up some helpful advice for both new characters and retiree transfers on the push from 80-100.

Where do you suggest hunting in these level ranges? What are some new mechanics to watch out for? How do you get to an area (first time delving through wilderness to get to hunting grounds! I'm lost!). I'll paste a piece of info from another thread directly below that I've kind of been using - but some areas require sailing while others require traversing wilderness. There are also areas on the list below that I've managed to get to only to think to myself "what the hell is this, there are like 12 mobs in the area unless I'm missing a secret exit or something..."

LEVEL 80-100 HUNTING:
the Southern Vashnar Mountains
Isaia
Zanzibaar
Grukai Swamp
the Ruins of Morindar
Moghedu
the Northern Vasnari Mountains
Quartz Peak
Wegava Valley
the Aalen Forest

Comments

• I pretty much looped Tsol'aa Village > Dun Fortress > Moghedu >Quartz Peak > Tsol'aa back when I was doing dragon. But I also bashed at like 11pm-3/4/5am my time, before everyone else was around, so I got whatever I wanted.

80-90 I was getting a level every ~2 1/2 hours. 90-99 was around every 3 1/2. No arties/lucky/life-enhancing/rare minerals, else could've been substantially faster.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Xaden said:
    Ryzeth said:
    I pretty much looped Tsol'aa Village > Dun Fortress > Moghedu >Quartz Peak > Tsol'aa back when I was doing dragon. But I also bashed at like 11pm-3/4/5am my time, before everyone else was around, so I got whatever I wanted.

80-90 I was getting a level every ~2 1/2 hours. 90-99 was around every 3 1/2. No arties/lucky/life-enhancing/rare minerals, else could've been substantially faster.
    Unless by hours you mean RL days I call shenanigans
    Git gud. :trollface:

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Klendathu said:
    Xaden said:
    Ryzeth said:
    I pretty much looped Tsol'aa Village > Dun Fortress > Moghedu >Quartz Peak > Tsol'aa back when I was doing dragon. But I also bashed at like 11pm-3/4/5am my time, before everyone else was around, so I got whatever I wanted.

Coming for you.

But also - the implication that you can get close to 30% per hour hunting arte-less at those levels is bollocks.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• PK ftw.

jk I was sub 80 for 3 years. I bashed Zanzi, Azdun, Annwyn forest (free PK too), Sirocco, and blackrock/forest watch for turbo clears.

I hunted as Bm before the tweaks, it was atrocious.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Except a lot of people can't hunt most of those areas until they are dragon, especially on the end closer to 80.
    Huh. Neat.
  • edited December 2016
    I wasn't very artied then, maybe escrow of 2000 at that point.

You can hunt anywhere, just depends how hard you want to work. 95% of places/mobs don't hinder or chance enough to pressure if you're on top of your game.

Nothing I mentioned hinders you too hard. Don't try lower Azdun or the Ducal guards and no reason an ~83 can't hunt everything I mentioned.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • edited December 2016
    Xaden said:
    Klendathu said:
    Xaden said:
    Ryzeth said:

Coming for you.

But also - the implication that you can get close to 30% per hour hunting arte-less at those levels is bollocks.
    SnB pre damage nerf. Nope. Was even doing that on my Priest alt just a month or two ago, went from 80-86 in less than a RL day. Tsol'aa/Quartz virtually never hunted at those times, give loads of exp.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    @Atalkez Was referring to OP. Should have clarified. My bad.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Speaking as an unartied 2H Runewarden, I did Dun, Moghedu, Arcadia, and Tsol'aa Village from 85-95, and then for the last five levels I basically camped out on Meropis (Ulsyndar, Mirror Caves, Sirroco, Judgement Mountain, Grukai if I'm very very careful).

I did also get a level every three hours or so from 80-90, and then maybe a level every five to six hours from 90-95, and maybe a level every nine to ten hours until 99. The shifts were more gradual, of course.  :p

<3 
  • Oh, yeah.

The areas command is pretty off honestly. Without artied, is there even a class that can actually tank sidhe/insider/Uber DK? I don't think so.

• I would say levels 78-92 and 92-99 and 99-104 are are all different pushes and should be approached differently. It also matters how quickly you want to become an Elder Dragon and if you want to do it by purchasing pieces or earning them. 

I am no Seragorn, Penwize, or Sarathai which I would put in the tier above me in terms of skill, but I do have lot of experience in hunting. My strategy tends to take a saw like approach where I focus on smaller denizens in large amounts, taking a swathe of large nibbles instead of taking out large chunks of experience with larger denizens (which I call the axe approach.) I prefer this path because it minimizes the repercussions of my mistakes, in other words I am less likely to die and take steps backwards. It also gives me more hunting areas to choose from, as I can change to new locations quickly.

78-92 I went after mostly animals and one on one encounters. This is especially great if you have reflections as you can stop anyone from hitting you for a while. Prismatic barriers help too. Shield against animals of course. At this area I focus on doing large amount of damage with my attacks instead of speed. This is because after 92 your crits start to ramp up.

From 92 on, I focus more on getting as many crits as possible. This is because even lower crits can sometimes quickly finish off a smaller foe. Here I started moving into villages as I could tank larger groups without having to do battlefield control as much. The big difference between before dragon and after dragon is devoting yoruself to a cycle. Keep where you hunt close together and it is important to stop as little as possible. It really is a grind.

At 99, definitely explore more and learn what you can take in dragon. You definitely do not become invincible...in fact...you can't start easily taking a lot of places until about 104. (Easy being death from mistakes becomes a lot more rare.) Then you also decide what you want.

-Talisman pieces? Tsol'dasi, Vertani, the undead in Mourning Pass (with beetles), glubbers, and Sirocco Ducal guards and knights are a good rotation. 
    -Gold? Moghedu is a great place to make gold. Some might scoff, but making gold is about income versus resources used. In Moghedu you only use health, mana, mending, immunity, and some bloodroot if you avoid the one aflicting knight. Sirocco can be good for this too...but rule number one is to keep moving and places that do bleed attacks usually make you whittle your willpower down at higher intensities. It does repop super fast though.
    But yeah, explore...don't be afraid to try the PK places. 
    -Experience? Start big game hunting the bigger mobs in a myriad of locations, don't bother yourself with smaller 'trash' mobs. 

Again, at this point...as you start adding health...explore and test your limits, especially when death starts to matter less and less. 
  • If you're an artifact whale before you're a dragon, Ilyrean and Prin are ~25% of a level each at levels 97-99 if you're using profithyst. So I'd eat a profithyst, clear the island, blow death's call, clear it again.

This was pretty much my strategy from L90 onwards. I'd hit up Meropis and Istarion when I wasn't on an island, but profithyst islands are pretty hard to beat.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited December 2016
    95-96 I just looped Sirocco, the battlesite, ulysandr, and iskadar.
    97 and 98 was me looping Istarion forever.

As a snb runie, I was tanky enough that I didn't die and slow enough that the first outrider would respawn just as I was killing the last regular tsol'dasi. 15%/hr peak with iron elite and profithyst.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Ryzeth said:

My goodness. I have to grab my stats but I was doing it about a week at a time, and I thought I was on 24/7. My family thought I was.

I used to mostly Hunt Zanzi, then Riagath/Istar. Would do lower Azdun pre Catacombs for a "break."

This was pre-rage as a very strong Mauling Druid.

Rinse, repeat.

Was pushing myself because I was moving cross country and wanted to complete before I moved.

Kept track of crits from 82 on, dates from 89 on, it appears:

90 (03/08) 
    91 (03/20) 
    92 (03/28)
    93 (04/06)
    94 (04/14)
    95 (04/23)
    96 (04/29)
    97 (05/09)
    98 (05/19)
    99 (05/24)

Yes, I am still tracking. 

Gives me something to do.

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• All I hunted was Annwyn and Quisalis over and over and over again, but I was artied.

Sometimes I had Atalkez drag me around. Sometimes I was one of those dirty culprits who killed all the single sidhes/unsidhes and ignored all the 2+ stacks.
  • Farrah said:
    Sometimes I was one of those dirty culprits who killed all the single sidhes/unsidhes and ignored all the 2+ stacks.
    You're the worst.
  • Farrah said:
    All I hunted was Annwyn and Quisalis over and over and over again, but I was artied.

Sometimes I had Atalkez drag me around. Sometimes I was one of those dirty culprits who killed all the single sidhes/unsidhes and ignored all the 2+ stacks.
    I went to Annwyn once on my way to dragon, I think I was level 80 or so. I wasn't set up for PvP, but the friend who told me about it also told me that it was easy to escape from ganks there and that I should be able to get away if anybody went after me.

I ran into Dunn there.

It turned out that the friend who told me about Annwyn and how to get into it also told me the wrong directions for how to get out of it, which resulted in me running around Annwyn saying "I wish" everywhere until I gave up and accepted my fate.

So, uh, make sure you know how to escape if you go there. :(

• edited December 2016
    I absolutely Hate bashing. Capital H. 

As a level 81 enforcer raja Sentinel (with the +1str trait), there's basically nothing I can tank on my own. Did get a SoA, L2 health regen band and an L2 spear, but seriously need some +con/+str arties to be able to play at the better sites I guess. 

My solo loop consists of Qurnok. Over and over again. Anyone got any recommendations for other areas?

EDIT:
    PvP not an issue. I need the practice anyway :)
  • @Coamenel

If you can tank it, Dun swamp is nice.  As is Dun Fortress in general (Orc Guards hurt a fair amount, so be sure to run)  The Soldiers just prone and bleed.  Avoid rooms with 3 or more (unless you're feeling lucky).  The ogre sentries on the top floor just before the Baron are the only ones, besides the ogre sentry on the 3rd floor west of the stairwell, that chase.

If orcs/ogres aren't your thing.

If you head down to the village below Manara with the obsidian folks ( i legitimately can't remember the name), they are wonderful bashing and they don't team up on you for whatever reason.  (It was how I bashed from 89-91 during the Great hunt because people kept takin my old hunting spots).

If not there, try out... Uh.  Frick I can't remember where else I've bashed.  Vertani are good if you can take one at a time or two (if they aren't guards).  I don't exactly remember what I did with 81-85.  I hated that loop so friggin much.

I got to 80ish in  about 15 days.  Slogged my way to 82.  ANd continued to slog my way to 85ish with the help of @Karren and a few others before the hunt started.  After the hunt started, it was just a non-stop grind from 86 onwards, so I'm really not the BEST person to say.  Also I'm a Dwarf Monk  that slogged from 80 ~ 84 before we got our hunting buff.  So, yeah.

You'll probably do fine if you just add a few more places to spice up your hunting!  Or hunt with a buddy!
  • I lived on Meropis between 82-99. I was a druid (self-sufficient) with only lvl 1-2 pendant, lvl 3 knuckles, and lvl 1 bracelets, I think. Got a pebble at some point during it.
    If you need me, you can find me sporadically on the Achaea Discord as Yae. 
    Do not DM on forums unless you're ok with waiting a couple months!
  • Yae said:
    I lived on Meropis between 82-99. I was a druid (self-sufficient) with only lvl 1-2 pendant, lvl 3 knuckles, and lvl 1 bracelets, I think. Got a pebble at some point during it.
    Precisely this. Battlesite of Mourning Pass and Sirocco were my home from 90-99. Got a pebble and pretty much never left.
  • From my calcs best xp is mirror caves, judgement, and ulsyndar. Haven't tried iskadar yet, and I can't do battlesite (again, yet), but sirocco fortress -sucks- as far as efficiency (xp per hour). at lvl 77 just silegs in mirror caves gives me about 10-15%. Sirocco gives me about 7ish%, and that's if I spend 1.5+ hours killing all but the highest floor (ducal guards) AND not dying. Which I tend to do a lot in sirocco, because they're quite painful, and defensively aggressive (and nearly every room has at least 2 denizens).

I think next on my checklist is to learn up vision so I can see up to hundreths of a percent xp. only being able to see whole numbers sucks for calculating at the higher levels. >_<
  • edited December 2016
    Itani said:
    From my calcs best xp is mirror caves, judgement, and ulsyndar. Haven't tried iskadar yet, and I can't do battlesite (again, yet), but sirocco fortress -sucks- as far as efficiency (xp per hour). at lvl 77 just silegs in mirror caves gives me about 10-15%. Sirocco gives me about 7ish%, and that's if I spend 1.5+ hours killing all but the highest floor (ducal guards) AND not dying. Which I tend to do a lot in sirocco, because they're quite painful, and defensively aggressive (and nearly every room has at least 2 denizens).

I think next on my checklist is to learn up vision so I can see up to hundreths of a percent xp. only being able to see whole numbers sucks for calculating at the higher levels. >_<
    At level 77 you don't crit -ANYWHERE- near enough to bash Sirocco efficiently, no.

Also, Ducal guards are the worst things to bash in there. Lol. Time investment due to transfix/other affs make fighting them very slow and pretty much not worth it.

The footsoldiers/archers in the tower are what you mainly bash. You can practically loop it without issue.

Bashing in Achaea isn't about the amount of exp you get per mob (Well it kinda is...). More how fast you can kill the things that give higher exp amounts and how quickly they respawn. Mirror caves respawn slow as hell.
  • edited December 2016
    Sirocco sucks in general. Bad xp, bad gold, low talisman drop rate.

Edit: the ducal guards and Knights are okay

• edited December 2016
    Cooper said:
    Sirocco was amazing for me. But I can't go to Istar like most other people can.

Gold gain was fine. Low talisman rate.... yeah.... That kinda sucked.
  • edited December 2016
    Cooper said:

Thing is, almost every dragon and their mother (who is also a dragon) likes to bash it, because it's the warp hub for Meropis and is thus easy to reach.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• edited December 2016
    Sarathai said:
    Cooper said:

Thing is, almost every dragon and their mother (who is also a dragon) likes to bash it, because it's the warp hub for Meropis and is thus easy to reach.
    It's a wings exit now too.

I got it to myself most of the time I was there, though.
  • The gold rate there is about 80% of the average areas I bash, and about 70% of the good areas like Annwyn.

• Cooper said:
    The gold rate there is about 80% of the average areas I bash, and about 70% of the good areas like Annwyn.
    Areas that you bash. Meaning Dragon+. Dragon gold gain is completely different than pre-99 gold gain.