How old are you?

Comments

• You can aspire to lead a city or organisation Talonia, though I would be surprised if someone managed it under the age of 50. You would have to put in an awful lot of work. Most cities or houses aren't going to judge whether you are worthy of leadership by your combat skills or rank.

Yes, heavily experienced older leaders are the norm, but that doesn't mean there isn't the odd exception of hard working young leaders. It's absolutely feasible for a new character to have a goal aspiring to be a house leader in say an IRL year (around 29-30 years IG) if they have the time, and put the work in.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    edited December 2012

@Talonia It makes sense for House/city leaders to be established. I think it might be informative to see who holds jobs like HoN, House secretary, or Minister, at what age, for how long, and if they are promoted as well as who holds the highest positions. Newer characters also have opportunities to build reputations, gain experience or prestige, and become part of that elite.

On a side note, I kind of wish you'd done this math a few years ago. Jiraishin was HL at something like 47 years old, would've messed with the average nicely. Tvistor was quite young as well. I am fairly sure he is a first character; I know Jiraishin was mine.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Jiraishin said:

@Talonia It makes sense for House/city leaders to be established. I think it might be informative to see who holds jobs like HoN, House secretary, or Minister, at what age, for how long, and if they are promoted as well as who holds the highest positions. Newer characters also have opportunities to build reputations, gain experience or prestige, and become part of that elite.

On a side note, I kind of wish you'd done this math a few years ago. Jiraishin was HL at something like 47 years old, would've messed with the average nicely. Tvistor was quite young as well. I am fairly sure he is a first character; I know Jiraishin was mine.

I know Kitarel has been house leader of the merchants for 70 years, so that's from in her 80's.

• @Ellodin: I always love sending that image to my Asian friends, and nearly all of us agree that grandma at 120yo is pretty much spot on too!
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• edited December 2012
    While I can't speak for @Jacen or @Lucine, I was more or less a true newbie when I started Manni. I had the website's maps up side-by-side with the nexus client because I didn't know the MAP command existed (This was also before I figured out nexus had the same maps in its own little window), along with a dozen other ridiculous assumptions that I have since blocked from memory in my embarrassment.

His, or well my, intentions when I made Manni were to be helpful, and learn what I could about Achaea. This quickly developed, as I found things that I felt were weaknesses within my organizations, into me aspiring for a position of leadership so that I could enact the changes (hopefully improvements) that I felt were necessary.

If you look at players unable to see themselves in leadership role within a reasonable timeframe as a reason for them not sticking around, then I would have to say that the fault lies partially with the current established players, as much as it is the fault of those leaving for not committing to that goal and proving themselves capable of that role.
  • @Idelisa I prefer to think of it as the 'should know better' category ;)
  • Could I really be the oldest player at 41?

• There are forms of house government that have term limits, such as Dictatorship. It would be neat if anyone used these governments,though. Seems like most houses do not.
  • To be fair though, dictatorships are possible the worst house mechanic in Achaea outside of orgs where the divine picks the hl (Mhaldor).

They work great until you get someone in power who is doing your org damage, then you have no way to remove them for over an rl year. Dictatorship term limits is good, inability to remove that leader is not.

• Katzchen said:

Jiraishin said:

On a side note, I kind of wish you'd done this math a few years ago. Jiraishin was HL at
    something like 47 years old, would've messed with the average nicely.
    Tvistor was quite young as well. I am fairly sure he is a first
    character; I know Jiraishin was mine.

I know Kitarel has been house leader of the merchants for 70 years, so that's from in her 80's.

I've been back in the Maldaathi longer than that, and she succeeded me, so she's close to 100 if not over it. Also, Kista was younger.

• Trey said:
    Jiraishin said:

I've been back in the Maldaathi longer than that, and she succeeded me, so she's close to 100 if not over it. Also, Kista was younger.
    She has been house leader for no more than 67 years.
  • Ognog said:
    Could I really be the oldest player at 41?
    The button says 36+. Let's not specify more. :D
  • Not counting the few weeks I played a decade ago, or the few times I logged in a couple years ago, Jacen is my first char.
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited December 2012
    I remember Sarapis saying on the forums that they're going to look long and hard at the newbie retention rate after the Bal'met event. This discussion really deserves a thread of its own because I'm sure we all have valuable ideas on how to attract more players.

• Sena said:
    Cahin said:
    It could be that a lot of the younger players do not wish to identify themselves as such and are abstaining from answering (due to the public nature of the survey and results).
    Jiraishin said:
    Younger players might be more reluctant to share their ages not just because of possible loss of respect IG but because telling every person who reads the forums that you are 15, 16, years old might not be the safest thing.
    It could also be that the players on the forums (and thus responding to this poll) are disproportionately long-time players (or just older), so newer/younger players are under-represented. There are too many biases for this to be a real indication of shifting demographics.
    This was my thought as well. I think most of Achaea's true newbies are in the late teen range, and the ones that stick around age with it. Ergo, the forum population is more a function of the age of the game and the rate of retention of long time players. Hence, you get a mid-twenties median.
  • Part of newbie retention is good novice structuring and super active aides. If your head of novices isn't in for at least 2 hours a day it gets really hard to keep them. Knighthood is one of the hardest paths but we retain a whole lot of our novices even as part timers between another character just because we try to make it possible. The big thing is mentorship here. If you have people who understand mentoring novices in your house find ways to keep them they are a pretty rare breed in achaea.
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • Lodi said:
    Wait... there's an age limit?
    Mostly for legal reasons. See also COPPA.
  • ...4 months from moving into a new bracket and that suddenly made me realize that I'M ABOUT TO BE -censored- THIRTY WTF.
  • @Cooper that would be awesome... I'd much rather see newbies turning up with some semblance of a description, an idea of how custom emotes work, rather than having the house have to teach these borderline OOC things, or them bumbling along to find these very basic RP devices. It would also give them time to find out who their character is before jumping into such a major choice as to what orgs to join.

It would be nice if all cities had something like Mhaldor's Maric where newbies under certain requirements were inducted automatically, the same way you can join a house via Certimene.

• The option is open to all, @Katzchen. Ashtan and Cyrene already utilise it, per the help files for those cities.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I'm almost in the next bracket.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Got one more year in my bracket!

• There's no next bracket for me