New Zealand Bound

Hey guys! I have a friend who is trying to get to New Zealand to flee the Trumpocalypse. Are there any NZ residents that i can talk to regarding how?

This is not a troll post, I'm actually seriously looking for assistance in this regard. Thank you

Comments

• edited November 2016
    Do you mean how like... Applying for Citizenship / Visa?
    (I'm from NZ; curious what you mean)

Probably the most helpful site, includes virtually everything you need to know.
  • Probably a visa to start. Maybe citizenship later on. Thanks Ryzeth! Where's a good county/area/state/whatever you hobbits have, to settle in?
  • edited November 2016
    Daeir said:
    South Island's nice just about anywhere, bit prone to earthquakes around Christchurch and the like though. I was fond of Greymouth personally, Queenstown is nice as well. Never been to the North Island though, so can't say.
    Not a fan of the South Island, myself. But to each their own.

Aegoth said:
    Probably a visa to start. Maybe citizenship later on. Thanks Ryzeth! Where's a good county/area/state/whatever you hobbits have, to settle in?
    Wellington or Hamilton are good enough for just about everything. Auckland would be best if you're wanting a job asap, as it's a lot bigger + more opportunities. I think the other two look a lot nicer though, personally. Lots less assholes in traffic, too :P

eta: As you'll read on that site, make sure to either come with a decent amount of cash, or be able to land a good enough job within the first few months. It's a requirement to be living her for five years before you can apply for citizenship. Means the visa will need to get renewed a couple times in the interim.
  • I'm just extra glad I got my assault rifle purchases done in prep for gun control billary so now I have them for the end of the world.

• NZ is quite strict on immigration.  Not impossible, but you'd better have something the Kiwis want.  I visited some years back and toyed with the idea of moving there.  It is a very beautiful place.
  • edited November 2016
    Kiskan said:
    NZ is quite strict on immigration.  Not impossible, but you'd better have something the Kiwis want.  I visited some years back and toyed with the idea of moving there.  It is a very beautiful place.
    No we're really not. Live here for 5 years on a visa (which is almost impossible to have denied in the first place) then once you apply for citizenship, you prove you have actually been doing stuff for those 5 years, and not lazing about doing nothing. Stepdad got his applied first try, it's just that getting a 5-year long visa is expensive. Fortunately he came over when USD:NZD conversion was like 1.9-2.2,  so he got a lot of money instantly when he banked his USD.

Hardly strict.
  • edited November 2016
    I mean, this kind of surprised me a bit, but for example, they refused a chef's visa renewal for being too fat and having a bum knee (damned work-related hazards), and he did lose all of his appeals to stay late in 2015, and had to go home to SA (and asked the Kiwis to please help get his cat home).  It's probably a lot stricter than a lot of people who would suddenly want to move there would think, basically (but certainly a very, very tempting place to try to go).  Anyway, wish us luck over here from hobbit paradise.  We may need it.
  • edited November 2016
    I think I would be more trusting of someone who actually lives here, and have family who has gotten citizenship approved here, than trust someone's third-party opinions on how strict it is.

But ok. Enjoy Trump.

PS: Having injuries/disabilities that prevent you from working at full capacity is a legitimate reason to deny a work visa. That's not really strictness.
  • What if you're retired in your home country and therefore have a stable income ?
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States

• You should really think hard before moving.

Pros:  
     - Flee a racist, mysoginstic demagogue as your new head of state
     - Move to a startlingly picturesque country with one of the most vibrant and egalitarian democracies in the world
     - Hobbits

Cons:
     - 200ms ping to achaea.

Not worth.
  • I recommend Canada, maybe not as nice weather but we get our 18ms ping time to Achaea, so there's that.
  • edited November 2016
    IRE and all its MUDs are probably relocating too.

Edit: That new server ? They didn't say where it was.
  • I'm not the one moving. My friend is. I'm too poor
  • Amranu said:
    I recommend Canada, maybe not as nice weather but we get our 18ms ping time to Achaea, so there's that.
    What black sorcery is this.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Calling @Valkyn for her keen Kiwi Bird-like insight.
  • Sarathai said:
    Amranu said:
    I recommend Canada, maybe not as nice weather but we get our 18ms ping time to Achaea, so there's that.
    What black sorcery is this.
    Turns out that maple syrup, when slathered on data cables, is a great lubricator for Internet traffic.  I know this because of my eldritch magic.

• Question, what's the ping like in Boston?

Myself and the missus have been talking about relocating INTO the USA and Boston is kinda top of our list (what with the massive Irish connection and all)
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• edited November 2016
    Lyrin said:
    Cons:
     - 200ms ping to achaea.
    Fortunately in a game like Achaea, 200ms isn't that bad. I rarely go above 140-150 though... Having played melee in WoW for ages pre-Oceanic servers, where 90% of your pvp would be "Out of range" or "Not facing the right way" despite being right on top of them, Achaea is great. Not a big deal now anymore when I get 20-35ms in WoW, but I got used to playing with higher ping.
  • Xaden said:
    Question, what's the ping like in Boston?

Myself and the missus have been talking about relocating INTO the USA and Boston is kinda top of our list (what with the massive Irish connection and all)
    I'm about an hour outside Boston, in CT, and on wireless I'm getting 52ms.  When I'm direct-jacked it's usually around 45ms

• Caelan said:
    Xaden said:

I'm about an hour outside Boston, in CT, and on wireless I'm getting 52ms.  When I'm direct-jacked it's usually around 45ms
    I'm currently on 142ms - so that sounds like a win :)
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• edited November 2016
    182ms here.

Edit: for some reason my first reading was very high, all others are around 138ms.
  • Caelan said:
    Xaden said:

I'm 2 hours away from Boston with same speeds. Comcast seems to route to Hartford, Connecticut before going out into the free world. 
  • Morthif said:
    Caelan said:
    Xaden said:

I'm 2 hours away from Boston with same speeds. Comcast seems to route to Hartford, Connecticut before going out into the free world. 
    That's funny.. Mine seems to route to Boston :D