RP, role, city and such

So, yes, to preface, I'm one of those dirty RPers. Surprise, surprise. Currently I'm juggling two characters (with a potential third) but alting isn't really my thing, so I'm trying to find my niche in one. And thus I come to the forums for advice.

I have a fairly well fleshed-out personality and notivation for Dyirsa as a Hashani Depthswalker, but I worry that it doesn't mesh well with the egalitarian, scientific bent I'm finding. On the other hand, Mhaldor seems a viable option because of the depth of roleplay, but I struggle to justify a Mhaldorian Depthswalker personally. My attachment to the class is both thematic and also it fulfilling my desire for three skills with non-PvP utility - I love Apostate, except Evileye is useless to me. Same problem with Occultist. Which brings me to the third option, going with Ashtan. I've definitely  considered going Savant, but I'd have to heavily alter my current direction of roleplay. I'm not totally opposed to that, but I'd prefer to either make my Krymenian work or, barring that, make Mhaldor work for me.

If talking specifics about my Hashani's character traits is necessary, I will, but I'm trying to keep it under wraps if possible. OK, I'm rambling because I'm kinda drunk (nothing unusual there) so I'll stop. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• I wouldn't say Dyirsa is totally contrary to Hashani ideals, per se, but maybe an odd fit. Maybe I just wanted encouragment that this is a good fit?

Were I to play Targossian, I'd definitely go for the inquisitorial zealot angle. 

I'll say, insofar as Dyirsa goes, she fits the lack of zealotry all the way. She takes independence personally, though, and the focus becomes internal rather than external. I'm starting to feel more comfortable with this character. So that's good.

Also if I'm dropping atrocious typos, blame me typing on my phone.
  • @Daeir, saying "don't join this faction because it's small" definitely doesn't help solve the problem that it's small. In fact, it does quite the opposite by taking away players who can potentially assist in breathing life into the city. TLDR: stfu

@Dyirsa. Mhaldor is pretty open to the research/development kind of player (Xinna and Kitiara were both pretty well known for this kind of RP), pure RP types (@Melodie, anyone?), and we're also very much open to Depthswalker (half the city is DW right now). I'd suggest tryingthe city out, if you really are interested though.
  • Aegoth said:
    @Daeir, saying "don't join this faction because it's small" definitely doesn't help solve the problem that it's small. In fact, it does quite the opposite by taking away players who can potentially assist in breathing life into the city. TLDR: stfu
    On the other hand, new players who join a small faction often end up quitting due to the fact that their organization is small.  

You are far better off trying to grow the city by recruitment of established players who have their own circles of friends and who aren't going to be as reliant on their city as a brand new player would be. 
  • Smaller organisations have greater opportunities for the new person to have an impact, and are likely to foster closer bonds between its fewer members. It might demand more of the new person as well, but that just means they will be more involved quicker, and is a good thing.

I also disagree with the argument that it is better to recruit established players. I appreciate @Eidra as much as I do @Alrena , albeit for different reasons. Interesting people are interesting people, no matter the baggage or lack thereof that they come with.

Lastly, and please take this the right way, I know as many interesting characters from Ashtan as I do from Hashan, Eleusis, Targossas, and Cyrene, despite the larger number of citizens in the latter cities. (I know more interesting Mhaldorians than interesting people from other cities combined, of course, but anything else would be strange.)
  • edited November 2016
    Damn phone killed all my post. I'll try again later. :(
  • Small factions are not inherently good or bad for new players. It depends on how well the requirements are structured so you don't need another person on (even worse, a specific other person) to evolve, and whether you keep to yourself or socialize. There are two things to know about Mhaldor: You -will- have to do some PvP, which is not a bad thing; knowing how to fight / cure /run away at a decent level is essential for participation in many events, and your choice of city will heavily color your interaction with other characters.
  • edited November 2016
    For an egalitarian, scientific bent character either Mhaldor or Ashtan would do you well. They are both good cities that have produced fascinating (and somewhat infamous) characters. However, do not try to pigeonhole yourself into one city because it seems to breed more archetypes than another. (Quisse would be an example of a scientific bent character in a Factional good city.) Instead, I would work on developing your character and consistently sticking to its personality and then throw it out into the unknown. Sometimes it will do favourably in cities with the same archetype and other times it won't, but that is the fun of it all. Seeing what sticks and improving your character based on your findings.

Edit: And do not think your character will be ball and chain with a city, you're never stuck. If you find yourself falling away from a city's belief system you are under no circumstance stuck there for life. Some people do much better when they move. :)

• Or just be me and play Pokechea.

Gotta join them all!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    You know it's your destiny.
  • edited November 2016
    While I am on the topic of scientist characters, I believe there are so many angles you can take for each city. Let me list out my top five for you.

1) Clumsy, geeky, shy. See Julius Kelp.
    2) Mad Scientist. Sort of cliche but I liked Dr. Strangelove so much.
    3) Who can forget the gibbering mindlessness of Dr. Frink from the Simpsons?
    4) The hyper rational scientist like Dana Scully.
    5) The emotionally immature, gives scientist a bad name, but is still so damn atractive Dr. Ross.

• Professor Farnsworth !
  • I may have drunkenly misstated my idea for Dyirsa. It isn't that I'm aiming for a scientific, egalitarian angle - rather that is what I'm finding in the Krymenian Academy so far and it's at odds with what I envision her as. Quite the opposite, without laying all bare, I'll say that she's more mystically inclined and arrogantly individualistic.

On the subject of population sizes, Mhaldor's lower numbers aren't a deterrent for me in any way. My only reservation with Mhaldor is feeling somewhat that the RP there wouldn't mesh with my current idea of my character at all. Also, I'm less a true newb and more a returning after years away player.
  • So long as your character's ideology isn't specifically bent against a city's ideals, most character archetypes you can think of will fit in most places.
  • Alright, let's try again!

I'm new here as well (transplant) and definitely interested in RP/PK equally. Here's my take on what I've observed so far: People are definitely at a more 'casual' level as far as RP goes (still haven't found anyone else willing to write longform emotes). But there are so many more people than anywhere else, so you're always going to get something. It's an adjustment, for me anyway.

Started in Hashan. Probably left too quick because I (think?) I misunderstood someone when they said it was the city of darkness to mean the 'evil' city, and I wasn't sure at the time where I wanted to go with my RP. Might be wrong about that, still not sure.

Spent a week or so in Cyrene, and it largely seemed like a mix between 'Don't ruffle feathers or bring any trouble around my lawn' and 'Yo just here to chill, leave me alone world.' I didn't think I'd get to jump into any real world conflict if I stayed there, so I scooted.

Mhaldor is probably where I should have went, but I ended up in Targossas and that place has been pretty welcoming. There are a few characters I've met that I'm definitely interested in getting to know more about, but I'll admit the entire theme of the city seems.. idk. Very good and holy, but kind of subjective and vague about what exactly 'good' is? Idk. Take that with a grain of salt, because I'm new as heck and I've spent most of my time trying to bash up to 80 so I can jump into PK and stuff.

Point being, I'd say pick the role that you like the best and then find the city that works for you - if you have to hop around as a new character, I don't think anyone is going to wave any pitchforks at you. I've been to three, and I hate sidehopping. Just don't burn any bridges! That'll let you consolidate your efforts and get somewhere faster, which is obviously more of a hook.

My novel, from the perspective if a noob. FWIW!
  • ZahanZahan Valhalla
    You got some great advice, between the veterans fighting.

I've been around this realm for the better part of 2 decades.  I am not as crazy as some, but I do have a solid year of play time.  I also have a bunch of experience with other mmos.  I'll go over some key points and differences that I see.

Achaea is a smaller realm than... usual.  This is awesome for developing friendships.  It also means that the dude you pissed off 5 years ago, is still here playing every day, perhaps in a position of power, and you're unlikely to be able to avoid them entirely.  He may forgive you, but then again he is human so he may take that grudge to his grave.  You never can tell.  Because of this, I echo Nevren's sentiment of "don't burn any bridges".

City hopping relies on the above not burning bridges.  There is no mechanic that keeps you from joining a city - it's only the players.  As a newbie, it especially isn't important, because you're given slack for being a legit novice, but it will remain unimportant if you're leaving positive vibes behind.

My advice is to not pigeon-toe yourself into too specific of a playstyle.    It my 20+ years of mmo'ing, I've gone through all the stages of preferring mages, to dps, to tank, to healer, back to mage, back to dps, then back to tank.  I've gone from preferring to play the evil side, to the good side, and onto the neutral rogues.  I've enjoyed it all.

And Achaea will throw you curveballs all day long.  You wouldn't believe the drama that takes place here sometimes (or maybe you can, from the bickering in your question thread).  Being open to change and redefinition based on your current circumstances and desire of flavor, will keep you around and involved in the realm a lot longer.

Take your time and look over your options, but don't be too concerned about trying something out.  Don't be afraid to keep going until you find a group that you click with.  And then don't be afraid, again, when that group changes and you feel you're lacking content.

Most of the time, you'll be able to fit your situation into a group.  I recently had a newbie express concern over being an atavian as a mhaldorian.  He felt it was too representative of "good" probably due to the angelesque wings.  But you can just as easily have charcoal feather wings covered in blood, with scars all over your face and jet-black hair, to fit a common mhaldorian archetype.  Likewise you can be that lazy scientist who might abandon reason and information in favour of spontaneous knee-jerk reactions based on gut feelings.

It's all up to you [to make it work]!
    Click here for Nexus packages
    Currently available: Abs, Cnote, Keepalive, Lootpet, Mapmod
  • Nevren said:
    Very good and holy, but kind of subjective and vague about what exactly 'good' is? I
    This is how "good" works. It's a subjective sort of thing. 
  • ZahanZahan Valhalla
    Nazihk said:
    Nevren said:
    Very good and holy, but kind of subjective and vague about what exactly 'good' is? I
    This is how "good" works. It's a subjective sort of thing. 
    ^ This +1.

A lot of the people I know, prefer to define the stance as "self-righteous".

Think of the catholic crusades.
  • edited November 2016
    It's also militant Good, which is a bit different than what most people perceive Good to be.

You don't have to be a nice person, or a good guy, to be team Good. You have to buy into the ideals, and embrace the concept of 'at any costs'. Targossas is (supposed) to be very different in Shallam in that.

Targossas could be a lot more badass with just a bit more focus on the grim aspect of Good.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • The Whitecloaks from the Wheel of Time, imo. 
  • I like and agree with all of the above, and like I said, it's probably just my minimal interactions so far! 

I'm sure it'll all buff out. 
  • As an aside, is being declared anathema essentially guaranteed for non-Mhaldorians? I know I've seen at least one Apostate member of another city, but I don't even know how that happens.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Dyirsa said:
    As an aside, is being declared anathema essentially guaranteed for non-Mhaldorians? I know I've seen at least one Apostate member of another city, but I don't even know how that happens.
    It -might- be possible for some rogues to scooch by, assuming they're still supporters of evil, and possibly even city allies. I seriously doubt Mhaldor would allow you to be a citizen of any other city, though.
    Huh. Neat.
  • That's what I assumed, but I recall doing a double-take seeing an Apostate on cwho on one of my characters. I don't recall their name, but they were fairly old and not CR1 iirc. It definitely piqued my curiosity.
  • ZahanZahan Valhalla
    Dyirsa said:
    As an aside, is being declared anathema essentially guaranteed for non-Mhaldorians? I know I've seen at least one Apostate member of another city, but I don't even know how that happens.

That's what I assumed, but I recall doing a double-take seeing an Apostate on cwho on one of my characters. I don't recall their name, but they were fairly old and not CR1 iirc. It definitely piqued my curiosity.

I've always liked the infernal class.  I appreciate the evil aspect of the game but in my view, necromancy is about undead magic, which is not connected to a specific divine but just death itself.  Necromancers are usually more self-preserving than they are enslaved to a divine, traditionally.    So I asked about this very thing - anathema - about a month ago.

I was told that you needed to be an ally of Mhaldor to assure you wouldn't lose necromancy, and that more than likely, even if you tried to hide under the radar with it as a second class, you'd eventually be caught because of the website/honors/character thing so many people apparently use.  This, as far as I know, is still an official process.

All that said, if you really want to keep necromancy, the only real way to find out is right in line with what you want to do and why you're here, though - RP that shit, bruh.  Talk to a leadership figure and explain to them that you decided a quiet rogue life (or whatever neutral city you've settled on) is for you, that you'll still have evil in your heart.  Explain you are considering leaving, and ask if it would be possible to keep the use of necromancy because of your affinity for the evil art and what it represents.  You might be able to get by without going through the official ally process, if you're not a dick to mhaldorians, if you just want to be a rogue (this is what one would expect, anyway).

Much like other games, you can expect [at least some] class skillsets to be pretty exclusive to faction, but unlike elsewhere, there is room for rogues - if that's the kind of life you want to lead.  It's a quiet life though (for some, better; others, worse).  Very quiet.  You might not like it (achaea doesn't have a "global" channel).
  • It's a quiet life though (for some, better; others, worse).  Very quiet.
    I'm a fan ' very quiet', so I liked my time as a rogue. I suppose it isn't for everyone.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I read the op and wanted to note that there is always room in Hashan for any kind of research rp, whether it be all sciency and technical or mystical and mysterious.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Dyirsa said:
    So, yes, to preface, I'm one of those dirty RPers. Surprise, surprise. Currently I'm juggling two characters (with a potential third) but alting isn't really my thing, so I'm trying to find my niche in one. And thus I come to the forums for advice.

I have a fairly well fleshed-out personality and notivation for Dyirsa as a Hashani Depthswalker, but I worry that it doesn't mesh well with the egalitarian, scientific bent I'm finding. On the other hand, Mhaldor seems a viable option because of the depth of roleplay, but I struggle to justify a Mhaldorian Depthswalker personally. My attachment to the class is both thematic and also it fulfilling my desire for three skills with non-PvP utility - I love Apostate, except Evileye is useless to me. Same problem with Occultist. Which brings me to the third option, going with Ashtan. I've definitely  considered going Savant, but I'd have to heavily alter my current direction of roleplay. I'm not totally opposed to that, but I'd prefer to either make my Krymenian work or, barring that, make Mhaldor work for me.

If talking specifics about my Hashani's character traits is necessary, I will, but I'm trying to keep it under wraps if possible. OK, I'm rambling because I'm kinda drunk (nothing unusual there) so I'll stop. Any advice would be appreciated.
    You can try to imagine that every playable class in Mhaldor is basically a corrupted side of what's outside of Mhaldor. And while Mhaldor is where Evil congregates (officially, at least), not everyone who joins Mhaldor turns evil. Some find a greater calling elsewhere whereas some are crushed to the benefit of other characters. You do not have to justify a Mhaldorian Depthswalker (especially when the expected behaviour is explained in a scroll, but don't go by this info). You do have to justify what kind of change your character recognises, understands, accepts (or not) and adapts to (or not). Interaction with you will tell others what a Mhaldorian* is or is not. Or what a Depthswalker can be aside from prevailing views. Regarding skills, Necromancy is very much useless for me but I still use it in other ways. For instance, I tell others that my character is one-third Apostate so he has some religion or spirituality in him. Then there are analytical pursuits with vivisect. Disgusting because of unclean flesh and bad breath. Cruel, annoying and so on.

*Or any other demographic, for that matter.

As for numbers, it is natural for bigger things to start small. If you think small numbers are problem, imagine running from city to city, having little to no structure and then jumping en masse off a cliff to get your way. That's Mhaldor's history as briefly as I can put it. I could be wrong. Small numbers are not a problem if you have the drive to achieve. Plus, you have the freedom to realise your own vision (because less competition, and who would reject that advantage?) and get people involved.

Now, my advice to you as roleplayer is, how you deal with each moment as it comes will give you a better past than anything you can establish for a starting point. My character has 200+ years under his belt and his story hasn't even begun yet. I wish you good luck!