Places to start for a newb

Hi all, I'm more or less a newb, with a decent enough grasp of the game to know most of the true basics and then some. What I'm really looking for is an avenue to explore quality roleplay. I'm plenty aware that roleplay doesn't just -happen- to you, not usually anyway, and that it's something you've got to start and participate in to get something out of it. That being said, I'd love some recommendations of structures to participate in, places to be, and/or people to interact with to start forming some connections/networks. Can't operate in a vacuum. ;)

My character is a Dwarf Alchemist, who lives in Hashan and is a Spiritwalker. I'm already working on House reqs so I can hopefully start getting involved in rp opportunities there, but I'm not sure where to start elsewhere. I'm not expecting anyone or anything to just give me roleplay opportunities, but are there any clans/organizations/people related to those aspects of my character that are kind of known as places to find roleplay? I'm definitely not looking to start roleplay that'll label me as an attention-seeking noob, but just opportunities to help define my character and interact with others. :)

tl;dr

Spiritwalker, Dwarf Alchemist Hashanite looking for places and people that'd be good for starting my roleplaying journey. :P

Comments

• Welcome to the game, @Argys. Your house is a good place to start for Rp opportunities, so you made a good choice there. As long as you keep working on your requirements and involving yourself with your housemates, you should have a good start. I believe there is also still a Hashani alchemist clan, so you might find some opportunities there. Simply involve yourself with your city and house, and be willing to emote and hold conversations with others as you meet them in game.
    (Party): Mizik says, "This can't possibly go wrong."
  • Maybe hang around the Centre Crossing at Cyrene and see what happens? I'm not too keen on that spot myself but mainly only because there's so many people there, and my character isn't one for noise :) Could open up to RP opportunities there.

If anything, my best interactions have been the random ones when I go out bashing on the outer areas like Istar Jungle or Isaia (waay up north) where few people are around. Adds to some interesting RP when it does happen. Just roam, have fun and see how it goes.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• Switch class to Serpent and bash hidden. You will get lots of interaction from many different kinds of people, all along the lines of "Oh, I didn't see you there".

More seriously, try finding where your Housemates/orgmates congregate, if possible, and hang around there when you can. That kind of group dynamic and conversation is great, in my opinion.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Spirit Walkers are good, from what I've heard.

Generally I find group-specific hangouts, like Drake Gloom used to be for the Naga or the trees above Serpentis Boulevard for the Serpentlords, to be better than the kind of 'main hangouts' @Tvistor mentioned.

• edited December 2012
    Too bad you didn't have me do your orientation. I have fun with those! Plus I use them to enlighten novices about some characteristics of the other house members through small jokes in between important points. I jest with and about certain notable denizens to help clarify more about their "role". I try and make orientations fun, and to act as an introduction to the core roleplay of the house, rather than some droll "This is what you need to do, now go hunt and read." situation. 

Sadly, @Tvistor is mostly right about Hashan... Stay away from Crossroads. Your eyes will bleed. 

The trick is finding the right people to buddy up with. Like I said IG, "ask the right questions", and typically these people will come to you. If they like you, then they will stick around to nurture your character.

ETA: half asleep, and poor grammar. I probably missed a lot.
  • The last time I proctored someone's tests, I would ask a question and then start behead, only stopping if they answered correctly.
  • edited December 2012
    Tvistor said:
    The last time I proctored someone's tests, I would ask a question and then start behead, only stopping if they answered correctly.
    I tried this at work last week. The kid's parents weren't to happy when I tried to explain that I thought he had burst up. :(
  • edited December 2012
    I'm actually sort of interested in this topic myself. I originally left Achaea because I felt there was such a staggering lack of willingness to roleplay within the playerbase as a whole, and now I've sort of returned only because Achaea seems to be thriving a lot better than other muds. It still rubs me the wrong way when I see people making posts about selling broot, or getting obviously OOC tells from people I don't even know. I mean, the playerbase seems pretty decent, but there's no real immersion when logging on and just playing the game (at least compared to other muds I've played); Achaea is a bit like WoW with roleplaying.

So. Where do I find people that are actually taking on a role in a fantasy setting as opposed to a player's own persona inside a textfigure? Or have I just met the wrong people when I was playing?

• Tvistor said:

Don't go looking for roleplay at the 'main hangouts' unless you're talking about Stygian Crossroads in Mhaldor (even that isn't the best place, but at the least we have a lower idiot-density than most cities).

FTFY. Not going to get into quality of Hashani RP, but will agree that generally the main gathering spots are mostly not the places to look for quality interaction. I think of it as similar to looking for interesting conversation by randomly approaching people at the food court of your local shopping mall. And for what it's worth, the quantity of pie-related conversation in Hashan has drastically reduced since I've been here.

Tvistor said:
    The last time I proctored someone's tests, I would ask a question and then start behead, only stopping if they answered correctly.
    I heard stories as a novice of (I think) Bleak making people sit down for exams and bbt'ing on unsatisfactory answers. I've more than once considered trying to figure out a good blademaster equivalent.
  • @Sasiya met the wrong people.

I couldn''t use the behead method on interviews. There's a small but decent chance that the novice would end up beheaded before I inputted the command to stop either because commands got slow, commands stopped working, I was suddenly forced to pay attention to something IRL, or just because I got bored.

• Never had a complaint about RP within the Occultists in Ashtan. Not for everybody but it's at least immersive.
  • edited December 2012
    Mannimar said:
    Tvistor said:
    I tried this at work last week. The kid's parents weren't to happy when I tried to explain that I thought he had burst up. :(
    Behead goes through starburst.

Oh, Hashan.

@Jiraishin I thought of that, then realized it's not my problem if someone else gets beheaded.
  • Please remember which forum you're in, guys. Not liking the tone much. Keep the advice constructive! Novice beheading down the hall.
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    edited December 2012
    Hello Argys! If you are looking to get involved in Spiritwalker RP, I would definitely encourage you to spend some time with Mannimar(House leader) and Salvar(Spiritual leader). The house has a lot of interesting lore and RP avenues that you can seek to take advantage of. There is a Hashani Alchemist clan which most of your alchemist housemates are a member of  and should be able to invite you to. If not,you can always as me. The Alchemist clan have rather open opportunities to run with currently being the newest class.

In general, just go about your business, work hard, and you will generally get the attention of the role players in the city without being the "attention seeking noob." I would suggest you hang around the reliquary when there are people there or Founders' monument. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message here or in game.

Also throwing in a conservative custom emote or too is a good way to "fish" for RPers; it's like the universal sign of "I want to RP."
  • edited December 2012
    Mannimar said:

Tvistor said:

edit: should have finished thread before commenting.

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• Vayne said:
    Also throwing in a conservative custom emote or too is a good way to "fish" for RPers; it's like the universal sign of "I want to RP."
    This is so true, wherever you go.
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Looking back over this thread I realize I pretty much just reiterated what @Corbeaux said! I'd say that is the meat of pretty much anything anyone else will say from here on out, that is not off topic or stupid.
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate it! And the slight derail about beheading was at least amusing. :> I'm looking forward to my time here. :)