Depthswalkers: Post your findings.

Comments

• Tested timewell a bit. Looks like its pretty much the same effect as retardation. Arrows were stopped, breathstream was not. Boosting it only seemed to speed up the channel time, and didn't seem to stop any different ranged attacks.

• Can you use convey to deliver from Sapience to Meropis?
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Only if your target stands in darkness.
  • Has anyone experienced a huge hit to their mana pool from summoning their shadow cloaks? Last night when I summoned my shadow cloak, my entire mana pool was one-shotted. Another player said he experienced the same thing when he summoned his shadow cloak, and using that ability one-shotted his entire mana pool. I think he was a higher level player when I looked at his honors. I am thinking it might need a minor adjustment to reduce the mana cost summoning a 30-month cloak. Summoning a 30-month scythe/dagger didn't take much mana.

I had fun with Extinguish last night. But I wished they would change "unholy" to "shadowy" in the room message for a black fog covering an entire area.

What exactly are phylacteries? The AB file on this particular item wasn't very clear about what we can do with them, and whose shadows do we take from to store in our phylacteries? Adventurers or denizens or both?
  • SUMMON CLOAK takes 100% mana. That's high, but it doesn't really take that long to regain if you sip mana or meditate for a while.

Phylacteries are objects used to store adventurer shadows. They can be gained in a couple of ways: The leach instill's last effect (if they have the three afflictions given beforehand), the Sever ability. I was also getting them when killing people with reap, but I don't know if that always happens or if there's a requirement for that to occur.

Those shadows can then be used for a couple of abilities:

Step (Shadowmancy)                            Known: Yes
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Syntax:            SHADOW STEP <target>
    Details:
    This ability will allow you to cross a great distance to a given target
    in an instant. A monolith sigil on either end of the movement shall
    prevent the attempt.

Note that if you possess a shadow of the target in your phylactery, you
    may cross the distance whether they stand within magical darkness or
    not. If you do not, they must be standing in magical darkness and must
    be within the same area.

Note that each phylactery-empowered step to a non-mutual ally shall have
    a chance to destroy the shadow stored within your phylactery.

Mutilate (Shadowmancy)                        Known: Yes
    Syntax:            SHADOW MUTILATE <target> [venom]
    Works on/against:  Adventurers
    Details:
    If you hold someone's shadow within your phylactery, you may shred it
    with a manifested dagger, causing significant health and mana damage to
    the unfortunate soul. This will cause you to lose their shadow from your
    phylactery. You may also instill the shadow with a venom in the process.

Unlike other phylactery-related abilities, they must be in your location
    for you to do this.

• @Sena: Are the benefits of Mainaas really that marginal for a basher?

• I think with the numbers posted if you're not a mega basher it would almost be unnoticeable to skip a lot of those bashing abilities and invest elsewhere. 
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    The crits are definitely worthwhile @Nevren.
    Huh. Neat.
  • edited November 2016
    Synbios said:
    @Sena: Are the benefits of Mainaas really that marginal for a basher?
    The effect isn't that bad, it's useful. The problem is that it's a tier 5 ability, so it takes 2 research points, and I can't think of any possible setup where you couldn't get several times the benefit by spending those 2 points elsewhere.

The tier 5 hunting ability is worse though. The only way I can see it being useful is if your strength is high enough that you'll essentially never have access to anyone with even one point higher than you, and you have absolutely no desire for more survivability so you're fine with giving up a ton of tankiness for a barely-perceptible damage boost.
  • Sena said:
    Synbios said:
    @Sena: Are the benefits of Mainaas really that marginal for a basher?
    The effect isn't that bad, it's useful. The problem is that it's a tier 5 ability, so it takes 2 research points, and I can't think of any possible setup where you couldn't get several times the benefit by spending those 2 points elsewhere.

The tier 5 hunting ability is worse though. The only way I can see it being useful is if your strength is high enough that you'll essentially never have access to anyone with even one point higher than you, and you have absolutely no desire for more survivability so you're fine with giving up a ton of tankiness for a barely-perceptible damage boost.
    I walk around with 20 str and 17 Con with just Jera on me as a Runewarden. Considering that I have not looked into Depthswalker at all and what buffs and utility it has, what would you suggest for someone like me if I picked up the class? I have max con, bracelets and health sip artifacts also.
  • I heard someone mention something about a requirement for erasure? So have I been using it this whole time for nothing, or did I misunderstand?

Also, is there any config here to see what kind of damage you're doing to mobs?
  • Erasure is their synergy rage. The affs it uses are amnesia and weakness. Synergy rages do piddly damage (like, less than your light damage rage) without aff prereqs but do tremendous damage (more than a heavy damage rage) when you have them.
  • Nevren said:
    I heard someone mention something about a requirement for erasure? So have I been using it this whole time for nothing, or did I misunderstand?

Also, is there any config here to see what kind of damage you're doing to mobs?
    It's not really a "requirement". Every class has a battlerage ability that does a little damage normally, and a lot more damage if they have been afflicted with one of two afflictions (from other classes, encouraging hunting with other people). In this case, Erasure does more damage when it hits a denizen with amnesia or weakness. Both of those happen to be given by Alchemists, weakness by Blademasters, and Amnesia by Serpents. There are other classes that give these, but these are the ones I know for certain. You can still use erasure, it's just not that particularly great source of damage on its own.
  • Aah, I see. So probably I should not worry about it solo and save the rage for shield breaks, huh?
  • Devran said:
    I walk around with 20 str and 17 Con with just Jera on me as a Runewarden. Considering that I have not looked into Depthswalker at all and what buffs and utility it has, what would you suggest for someone like me if I picked up the class? I have max con, bracelets and health sip artifacts also.
    For bashing? 4 Longevity, 4 Augmentation, 3 Hunting.

That leaves you with one point left over, and nothing really useful for bashing, so just put it wherever you want; Hunting for the ability to aggro all denizens in the room to you, Environmental to clear flooded rooms, Conquest for a fairly weak room attack that also hits you, Dominion for the ability to make people follow you.

Or you can drop a point in Hunting (especially if you have/get a lyre) and get Longevity 5. Even with 20 str and 17 con, artied dragon stats are better (22 str and 24 con with arties+jera).
  • @Sena: I actually went ahead and tried another build, one that considers the possibility that I play on inactive hours: 5 augmentation, 3 hunting, 3 longevity. The only I'd use Fliennad for is crystal and tree tattoos, but if I'm fighting mobs that don't afflict much, the cooldown reset is pretty much irrelevant.

I suppose the drawbacks of not being able to have dragon str/con are offset by the fact that I have l3 con belt, so there's that.

Synbios said:
    @Sena: I actually went ahead and tried another build, one that considers the possibility that I play on inactive hours: 5 augmentation, 3 hunting, 3 longevity. The only I'd use Fliennad for is crystal and tree tattoos, but if I'm fighting mobs that don't afflict much, the cooldown reset is pretty much irrelevant.

I suppose the drawbacks of not being able to have dragon str/con are offset by the fact that I have l3 con belt, so there's that.
    This is the build I'm using as well. Seems pretty great.
    Huh. Neat.
  • RyldaghRyldagh Ontario, Canada
    Does the Str/Con matching require you to be on same plane/continent?  Or just to have them online?

• In the same room as you when you activate it. Lasts 30min, has a 1hr cooldown starting from when it wears off (I think, didn't even check COOLDOWNS)
    @Ryzeth has a 1hr cooldown from when you use it, so 30 minutes uptime 30 mins downtime.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Could I pick up this class as a grook and be moderately successful?

• Yes. You'll be a bit disadvantaged compared to races with low int, but you can do fine, especially with stat arties. And if you have Uraiad, your strength and con are irrelevant at least half the time, mostly eliminating the disadvantage.
    Preeminence now seems to respect veil. I'm sad.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Doesn't Uraiad make Str/Con artifacts useless so long as I play in 30 minute blocks? 

Like, I"m a little bit miffed. I paid a lot of money for my +3 Str, Con and Level 3 Bracelets, now people can just run around with Dragon stats with zero dollar investment. Or, am I missing something? I know it's only 30 mins at a time, but still.
  • I honestly don't know that you should be upset about that. You paid a lot of money for a consistent, constant benefit. By choice, I might add.
  • Rylez said:
    I honestly don't know that you should be upset about that. You paid a lot of money for a consistent, constant benefit. By choice, I might add.
    It's quite simple. I paid for a benefit that now other people are able to get for free half of the time. What are you unable to understand about my being irked about?
  • It's an investment into the longevity tree the requires more points put into it, compared to other trees that are much more likely to actually help the person win a fight.  (Since you only have 12 points, and longevity 5 is 6 points gone).

That's why it's an issue.  Also, you didn't waste money on level 3 bracelets, as those still apply, whether you have someone elses' constitution or otherwise.  They also have to have the person they're copying have those artefacts as well (or generally you give your arties to them).

Basically, they can have dragon stats, but it's really damn contrived, and you simply having the arties, whilst an investment, is always guaranteed to give you stats
  • Devran said:
    Doesn't Uraiad make Str/Con artifacts useless so long as I play in 30 minute blocks? 

Like, I"m a little bit miffed. I paid a lot of money for my +3 Str, Con and Level 3 Bracelets, now people can just run around with Dragon stats with zero dollar investment. Or, am I missing something? I know it's only 30 mins at a time, but still.
    You get a consistent benefit that works in all classes.

They get a temporary benefit that only works in depthswalker and only if they have a dragon mutually allied and only if that dragon stays in dragonform and then only if they research into it.
  • I understand that you are upset, I don't think you're seeing it clearly. You get a CONSTANT, continual, absolute benefit. They do not. I repeat, they do not. Also, please calm yourself. I've done nothing worthy of you being upset with me.
  • Nazihk said:
    Devran said:
    Doesn't Uraiad make Str/Con artifacts useless so long as I play in 30 minute blocks? 

You get a consistent benefit that works in all classes.

They get a temporary benefit that only works in depthswalker and only if they have a dragon mutually allied and only if that dragon stays in dragonform and then only if they research into it.
    Their temporary benefit is higher than mine.

Do artifacts stack with it?