Crested Waterskin

edited December 2012 in North of Thera
Word has been lately that many people are unsatisfied with the Crested Waterskin (this year's Logosmas Gift from the Ho Ho Ho Society).

I like the idea of the Waterskin, to be honest, and I think adding more brews would make the item more appealing. So I'd like to open up this thread on effects you WISH the Waterskin could do. I'll start with some of my own:

A Crested Waterskin:

Fills up randomly each month with a random brew.

Deception brew - random chameleon effect (current default).

Proposed:
Murky brew - shroud effect (wears off as normal)

Aerial brew - takes drinker into the skies (one time use fly effect)

Protection brew - 5% damage reduction (stackable) that lasts for fifteen minutes

Iridescent brew - prismatic barrier (one time use, fades as usual with actions)

What effects do you think would make the Waterskin more appealing/valuable?

Comments

• Generally I think it should just have unlimited uses for what it does

• Aerek said:
    Seriously. Everytime IRE gives something out for free, we get one of these threads complaining about how the free toy doesn't cure cancer and mix cocktails.

Lighten up, folks.
    Hmm. BRB Shop of Wonders ideas thread.

• The only thing I think it lacks is a way to turn off the effect (without a chameleon tattoo and without getting rid of all your other defs). There may be a way to do this that I just haven't found.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    I don't care about the functionality, I just wish I could wear it.  
  • This thread isn't meant to be disparaging towards the free gift, but a forum for thoughtful suggestions for improvement. Feel free to express how much you love the item as well.
  • How exactly do you obtain this item? I can't say I want one, but now I'm curious.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Dropping off a present once per day at the Logosmas tree in the centre of New Thera for 21 days in December.
  • I dislike how inconsistent the whole orphans/presents thing is with Mhaldorian RP. I didn't get the item for that reason, though it looks pretty cool.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited December 2012
    Didn't Mhaldorians have the option to taint the presents somehow, though?

Think Nightmare Before Christmas: Open up a box, and HOLYJESUSCHRISTONASTICK A DUCK ON WHEELS WITH POINTY TEETH IS CHASING ME!

Things like that seem pretty Mhaldorian to me!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    We did have the option to taint the presents, yes. But the prize (unlimited supply of alcoholic beverages) isn't much more Mhaldorian. 
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    It isn't Mhaldorian to pretend to be something you're not to sneak around and cause trouble? Think Harry Potter's polyjuice potion!

... god, I am full of movie references tonight.

Anyway, I think you guys could spin it. A waterskin seems pretty neutral to me - I can't think of any faction it favours, save maybe serpent Houses.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • I actually missed the announcement, if there was one, that the tainting thing was on again this year. Would probably still be ignorant about it except someone asked over ct a few days ago about how to make it work. I always went for the gleam cake last year.

I still feel like giving presents to orphans just doesn't add up. Tampering with presents is fairly low-grade mischief. I could see, ICly, doing it once or twice or even three times for amusement's sake, but 21 times?

As for the waterskin, I like it. I like it much more than last year's flagon, which I do have and would gladly trade for it.

• The tainting presents thing is a way for Mhaldorians to justify getting the cool item, which I don't begrudge them.

We're just supposed to be on the 'Torturing innocents in ways unimaginable' scale at this point, not 'Sometimes I ruin Christmas for orphans teehee'.
  • There was always the copy of the seven truths option. Not so gimmicky?

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• That one is one of my least favorites. Seems like it would inflict more disappointment than Suffering-- no one is even forcing the orphan to read it.

• I actually thought the Seven Truths was the best one, thanks for reminding me about it. In that case I'm happy to operate under the assumption we're focusing on propaganda rather than --

Wait a minute derail.
  • Jiraishin said:
    I actually missed the announcement, if there was one, that the tainting thing was on again this year. Would probably still be ignorant about it except someone asked over ct a few days ago about how to make it work. I always went for the gleam cake last year.

I still feel like giving presents to orphans just doesn't add up. Tampering with presents is fairly low-grade mischief. I could see, ICly, doing it once or twice or even three times for amusement's sake, but 21 times?

As for the waterskin, I like it. I like it much more than last year's flagon, which I do have and would gladly trade for it.
    em opens the present and replaces its contents with a knife. Or a viper. Or like, a concussion bomb.
    You have emoted: Jiraishin opens the present and replaces its contents with a knife. Or a viper. Or like, a concussion bomb.
  • I did locust eggs once last year.

• Sasiya said:

Trey said:

I don't have the item and I don't really care too much about it, but I just feel a need to reply to this post:

Basically, getting something for free doesn't mean we have to be grateful. It would be better to give no item at all, than to promise some sort of secret reward and giving an item that has a very limited function. Because people get their expectations up when they're told they can get a promotional item if they just do this quest that many times: wheter those expectations are realistic or not depends a lot on previous promotions/events/giveaways. There's only so many times you can be given items for free before the charity starts losing its apeal and specialness (is that even a word?). This is true for all IRE promotions. At this point it feels like IRE has gotten ADD or something: every month, something shinier and sparklier is meant to attract the playerbase so that we either log in and idle every day or spend even more money because this month's promotion is the best ever and oh-my-god what if I don't get the chance to benefit from it?

Take this criticism with a grain of salt. I think the monthly promotions are a great idea, and they help out new players get credits for their skills. I just think it'd be even better if they did something unique for the setting of each of the separate games. Perhaps, for the month of january, a band of bandits roam the outskirts of Delos, attacking the village every so often, and at the end of the month there is a conclusion of some sort. Or perhaps an order of holy Knights declares a crusade on Mhaldor, setting up an encampment at the edge of the red fog. Just small things that are not in an epic scale, that has set duration for how long they last, and just add atmosphere and life to the game. I'd take this over one extra credit every day I log in over a month in a heartbeat.
    The item is relatively useless in functionality to anyone having a gem of cloaking. It's still a fun idea though.

And yeah @Achilles got it right

• edited December 2012
    Making it wearable (like giving it a lanyard or something) instantly turns it from "huh, neat I guess" into "damnit I wish I'd dropped those presents."
  • edited December 2012
    I've done the task but haven't gotten it yet (10 ish hours). How long is the wait meant to be?

edit: got it! :D
    Tvistor said:
    Achievement Unlocked : Made A God Feel Guilty.
  • AmanuAmanu Forge Tree
    Useless? Waterskin+Obfuscated vial+another empty artefact vial=unlimited sips without having to turn my flagon on a chain.

• Having unlimited sips of something doesn't make the thing itself any better or worse than it is originally..
  • AmanuAmanu Forge Tree
    Try saying that to the person who has the vial of unlimited health elixer.  :P

• Unlimited health elixir and unlimited chameleon are two very different things. Especially if you have to use up an obfuscated vial, and/or you have a gem of cloaking.
  • The health elixir has the same effect no matter what container it's in. All the unlimited vial does is add convenience. An obfuscated vial of deception brew doesn't make the drink any more useful than just having a sip of it, which isn't very useful in itself unless you like chameleoning a random, unranked person for 15-20 minutes each day. It's not my favorite promotion item by any means, but it's not like we had to do anything at all tough for it, so I'm not complaining. I just doubt I'll ever be using it.
  • Yeah I can't imagine using up the vials for something that would only save you inks. It is the same reason I couldn't get the ink palette or the comm satchel...Hell the only people who use constant drains need permanent tats in my book. But hey, maybe I am just cheap as hell or I just get enough gold to sustain my ink, comm, and healing needs.