How old were you when you started playing?

edited December 2012 in North of Thera
A quick survey to see the current start age demographic in Achaea.
I won a competition awhile ago to have Chris Bourassa paint a picture of Lodi. My profile pic is the end product. :)

Comments

• Ack! The last option should be "36 +". Sorry for the error.
    I won a competition awhile ago to have Chris Bourassa paint a picture of Lodi. My profile pic is the end product. :)
  • I'm going to qualify "started playing" as being the time when I created my first long-term serious character. I'd shown up off and on for a few weeks at a time for five years prior to that.
  • I started during my freshman year of highschool.
    My free mudlet scripts can be had HERE.
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    I started in the 8th grade. Except back then I told everyone I was way older. Sorry ladies :(

• Two years ago during the latter half of my junior year, still surprised to be playing this while in college :D Achaea never really gets old as long as you take breaks every now and then
  • I was 14, nearly 15. Wow, a lot of us started so young.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Sohl said:

I started during my freshman year of highschool.

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• edited December 2012
    Seeing as everyone is sharing, I might as well add my two pence.

I think this is what happened, it was around fourteen years ago now so my memory is very blurry...

I remember speaking with a friend of mine at the local Games Workshop store, who was raving on about a Star Wars mud that he played. I couldn't remember the name of the game when I got home, so put 'MUD' into a search engine and the Mud Connector sprang up. Clicked on the link. Instantly felt lost and unsure where to start, as I couldn't immediately see a Star Wars mud listed. So instead I clicked on one of the site sponsors, which just happened to be Achaea. And I've never looked back. :)

That was all when I was nearing the end of my first year of GCSE's. Got a load of my school mates into the game, but none of them are still playing. Always wondered if one of them (the guy behined Faunus) went admin, but we fell out of contact after school and were in opposing factions IG.
  • @Lodi just earned a stupidly high numbers of nerd points. Much respect.

I have absolutely no idea how I found Achaea. I made about three characters, and Chryenth was the first one to stick. I must have been about 14 or 15, because it was my first GCSE year. September-time, if memory serves. (It probably doesn't.) 

I have introduced as many friends as I could to Achaea. I'm almost certain that none of them played more than a few hours before giving up.
  • I voted 15-17, although it may very well have been 18. I made Iocun when I was 18, but I had briefly played another character some time before him. I don't really remember how much earlier that was though, but it was definitely either 17 or 18.
  • Hrm, I didn't have a computer til I turned eighteen and even then, it took a year to find out what a MUD is. I lived in the country, we played hide and seek, hunted, hiked and such...didn't have time for computers/pc games, heh. So I first started with some text+graphics game and then played a mud with less than 30 players at peak times until I got bored. I finally found Achaea about just past the summer-ish of 2007 when I was twenty, I think (bad with dates). I've strayed from Achaea, but I keep coming back for more.
  • I started playing when I was 14. Stumbled across a character in a different game whose name was "Achaea." Was curious as to where it came from, so I googled it, found Achaea, and that was that

• I played when I was 16 for about two days (I made an Occultist and I think I probably got outguilded), and then made Lyr when I was 20!
  • I started old... it's a habit I have.. I start everything later than most. 
  • edited December 2012
    I started out partway through my senior year I think? I went to high school with @lethia @amunet @lielrae and they kept raving on how cool Achaea was. I joined the Sentaari with Siena shortly after and have been playing off and on since.

• Made my first Jacen at 13-14 years old. Mom found out I was talking to strangers on the internet, kicked me off :P Picked back up with another Jacen when I was 21 or so.
  • I think I first tried it shortly after high school so that would be '99 or 2000. A couple friends and I had been playing RPGs on a BBS and were looking for something more in-depth so we tried several MUDs from ZMUD's list. I recall wanting to find a game where I could play a Druid type so Achaea seemed like a good choice. I'm pretty sure I was scared off by guild requirements fairly quickly. I'd tried coming back a few times over the years but it really didn't hold my interest until recent years.

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    hmm I was 16 when I started playing (way back in 1997).  I just got my drivers license around then.  Sarapis actually invited me to play from another mud.  Stopped playing in late 2001 (shortly after 9/11), then came back last year after opening one of those Achaea newsletter.  Should have unsubscribed :P
  • From the womb.
  • My friend got me into Achaea when I was 14 or 15, but it was so confusing that I didn't actually get into it until I was 16. Ended up suiciding the character and making Xae.
    I'll probably be shifting over to Starmourn, seeya there!
    discord: aciidwire#5240
    Please check out my new art page!

• Started when I was a senior in high school, played throughout college, took a hiatus while in grad school, and now a real grownup with a job, and still playing.
  • Started in high school don't remember when but have played on and off for quite some time.

Eat like a caveman, train like a beast. Champions are not born, they are made. 

• When I was a teenager, there was no internet, only dial in Bulletin Board Systems (BBS). Achaea was but a glint in Sarapis' eyes.

• Late 17, near the end of high school. I'm going on 21 and graduating from university next year.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • It was a couple of weeks before summer ended and sophomore year began. I was hopelessly bored, enough to click on banner ads for online games. Achaea was the third game that turned out to be free and the first one to require more brainpower than Mafia Wars, which I was also playing at the time. Stuck with it for maybe a week out of the same boredom that kept me playing Mafia Wars and those other two games. Stuck with it the rest of the way because it got interesting.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • HaldonHaldon I forgot...
    edited December 2012
    I started at 35 and that was almost ten years ago. I saw 35+ so I didn't pay attention to the one above it, oops.

I was looking for something more than just the eye-candy-grind-fests that graphical MMO's had/have become. I started looking for Middle Earth themed games and hit upon Top Mud Sites. Achaea was near or at the top. I checked out the top three just to see and Achaea just seemed more polished and ultimately more fun than any of the other muds. I also found a great cyberpunk mud that I still play as well.

edit: I can't spell.
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead.
  • Senior in high school, 17