Capture the Flag! 09/24/16

Comments

• Don't like how apparently everyone is open PK during the CTF, meaning I got ganked regularly while coming back from the cave / walking to my bashing spots.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited September 2016
    Cyrene really put up a good fight at the end. Probably my favorite of the night.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Reisen said:
    Don't like how apparently everyone is open PK during the CTF, meaning I got ganked regularly while coming back from the cave / walking to my bashing spots.
    Kind of wish there was a join function...

• There's no experience lost, it's at most 5 minutes to embrace. I'd say, just get used to it.
  • Sounds like it was a really great game, I'm bummed I missed it!
  • Lisbethae said:
    There's no experience lost, it's at most 5 minutes to embrace. I'd say, just get used to it.
    Regardless, it should be an opt-in event, not a forced game-wide open PK where bored trolls can camp you at the Cave.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Admittedly the troll camping was pretty ridiculous and not a usual experience of most CTFs. Thumbs down to those peeps.

But that said, it's only 2 hours once every six months or so, and it's meant to be a complete free-for-all. It's fairly light as far as consequences go (nothing lost but what's in your inventory that drops and a bit of time) - Achaea is supposed to be a dangerous world after all, just because you don't want to play in the big event going on doesn't make you safe and exempt!

This was for me the most laggy CTF I've ever been in, and the most lag/delay I've dealt with from anything in Achaea since the Bal'met finale, which was a little disappointing. I don't blame anyone on that, it just sucks because for Mhaldor, who is already a small team, lag pretty much destroys our biggest advantage (creating schemes to try and overcome larger numbers). I know I definitely was not the only one effected to a severe degree, and it was not nearly this bad the last CTF either. I'm not sure what's changed between then and now, or if there was some sort of freak occurrence for a section of players.

Despite the lag and its frustration more or less handing a chunk of our defeat to us, was still pretty fun. Thanks Mhaldor for your usual go-get-'em attitudes and minimal complaints, it keeps up the flagging motivation!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Yeah, should have at least a short grace period (even 15-30 seconds).

• The cave spawn camping from @Jinsun and his possie was really shitty thing to do.  Thankfully Cyrene and a good number of other people put an end to those shenanigans (oh how good it would have been for them to be spawn camped...)

Overall, for my first CTF, this was pretty dang fun.  I thought I'd have to leave half way through but, apparently my appointment got canceled until tomorrow so.  A+
  • Admittedly, the trolls at the cave were a pain. I was pretty proud of the Cyrenians that scared them off for a while.

World event = world event
  • Name and shame people!!
  • edited September 2016
    the best way that player can deal with the lag situation in my opinion, is to step back, reduce the number of inputs and set up specific aliases for large scale team and time dilated combat that are simple and effective and won't make you whiff raze over and over
    spread positivity
  • I got hit by @Jinsun at the cave and so when I made it back to our main group, I was gonna grab @Vender and @Regi to go and pwn him, but @Regi took too long to group up and when we got there we ran into like half of Mhaldor respawning. So then we ran away.
  • i really love how retardation works here and how it affects the group combat meta

the pros and cons of r-tard really make it feel like an "ultimate" ability and I'm glad the skill was never deleted
    spread positivity
  • Dalinor said:
    Mishgul said:

edit: and i wonder how many programmers want to work on fixing legacy code re: what makarios said.
    A few brave souls, surely. Or at least one. Er.
    Is it true that you burn it out with napalm?
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• It was massively fun! Kudos to Eleusis for making everyone apart of the game, even those that weren't that good at combat.

"We don't care if you are good, if you can spam web, just do that." Gotta love the pep talks  =)=)=)=)
  • edited September 2016
    Surprised to see all the complaints about lag. I don't think I experienced any during it... though admittedly I wasn't involved in that much combat. Was a little surprised how long I ended up being in a room full of Mhaldorians without anyone apparently realizing I was there.

The cave camping was really stupid, though. I can understand why divine grace is disabled, as it can be abused to just walk straight past a bunch of enemies, but neither should someone be immediately attacked upon coming back. Originally I thought the solution would be to just reduce the length of divine grace during a CTF rather than eliminate it. But now I think a better way to fix it would be, during a CTF, to have divine grace last the standard length of time, but vanish immediately if you move from the Outside the Cave room before it would naturally disappear. This prevents the abuses of it while also eliminating the possibility of camping.
  • Wish we could have had more people around, but even though we had no chance in hell of even closing the gap, ya still gave 'em hell. @Jinsun lead the charge, and he did an admirable job of it.
  • Melodie said:
    Admittedly the troll camping was pretty ridiculous and not a usual experience of most CTFs. Thumbs down to those peeps.
    Pretty sure people have camped the Cave to kill people in every CTF I've participated in. It does make the gravestone from the Death promotion a few months back well worth it though.
  • I didn't notice any lag on my end but I was disconnected every time I died. Then again, text was scrolling at 90mph.
  • Leviticus said:

I don't know what Achaea does with their profits. I do know Zulah claims to have dropped 7K plus this month
    I never made this claim. Not sure where you heard this.
  • Zulah said:
    Leviticus said:

I don't know what Achaea does with their profits. I do know Zulah claims to have dropped 7K plus this month
    I never made this claim. Not sure where you heard this.
    Probably all your wheel spins lol
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Probably from the several posts you've put up humble-bragging about your 2000+ Wheel spins. He's just doing the math on 2000*25* whatever avg price per credit he paid for his own bulk orders. Don't act so surprised; when you make it a point to flash your cash, people are going to speculate on how much cash you flashed.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • edited September 2016
    Aerek said:
    Probably from the several posts you've put up humble-bragging about your 2000+ Wheel spins. He's just doing the math on 2000*25* whatever avg price per credit he paid for his own bulk orders. Don't act so surprised; when you make it a point to flash your cash, people are going to speculate on how much cash you flashed.
    Easy there. I'm just saying I never "claimed to drop 7k to anyone" The wheel spin talk was because people wanted numbers for averages. Not trying to brag I spun the wheel and got a thousand crooks.

I've already recieved plenty of hate over spending cash in achaea for whatever reason so I don't discuss how much. I also stopped talking about wins and such it's not worth the trouble.

Assume what you want. Just don't quote me as saying something I didn't
  • Zulah said:
    I've spent $10,000 on credits in the last 5 days. I'm the boss around here!
     B) 
  • I get the feeling that maybe at least 3-4 Achaeans are spending the kind of cash I've only ever heard about with that EVE online game (maybe not THAT much, it's just the only game I know about where people spend the kind of cash that makes even a pretty kitted out IRE credit whore go "uh, nope, not spending that").  

I mean, I guess the good news is (hopefully?) beyond a certain point it just doesn't matter (that much) what they're spending those credits on.  Most of the really important stuff IS pretty expensive in IRE, but it's also capped in a sense.  Once you've bought all the stuff, you've bought all the stuff - unless some of the assembly items are fairly important (not sure if they are).  Auction items maybe less of a problem than they could be too, maybe, because the auction items are generally milder here.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Zulah said:

I'm not touching you!
    Come now, you're smarter than that.

I don't care how much you spend--I'm a poster child of wanton Achaean waste, myself--but you've spent a lot of time and posts implanting certain assumptions about your spending habits on these forums, and now you're calling foul on a technicality. A lot of people with impressive incomes play Achaea, but most of them don't share your habit of reminding us. You like the attention, and you like playing the persecuted when it makes you a target for gossip or jealousy.

Let's be frank. Since you've come back, your posts generally revolve around 3 topics: your wealth outside this game, your wealth inside this game, or how cool your character was back in 2010. Don't get me wrong, every community loves a celebrity narcissist or two, but the most entertaining narcissists at least know they're narcissists. You wear that suit well, no need to try and take it off when someone compliments it.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.