Ashtan 2117
Hashan 899
Cyrene 6816
Mhaldor 10326
Eleusis 10835
Targossas 3006

Last year's score!

Predictions? Thoughts? Go!

(I really hate this lag. I went from full HP to none, trying to spam evade to get out of a rush.)

Comments

• Wondering if someone would like to take the time to draw a correlation between no. of people in a city that can actually log in with the city's score.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Lag has me not even wanting to keep going.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I think lag is making everything reaaalllly difficult to do anything with. Especially with a smaller team.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Man, this was me just trying to evade. Was only trying to evade. And I have the best internet my city can provide too. Lots of rage. haha.
    https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/6b38c6c5
  • My internet went away >.<
  • Ashtan being assholes at the cave, here's me trying to fend them off and the results :(

https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/eeab88c2
  • The results! 

City Scores
    --------------------
    Ashtan         60
    Hashan         4286
    Cyrene         6303
    Mhaldor        6790
    Eleusis        11993
    Targossas      9436

GG WP, everyone!
    And Eleusis!
  • The lag ruined it for me. Maybe it is me being ignorant, but how is there lag in a text based game with current technology?
  • Puxi said:
    The lag ruined it for me. Maybe it is me being ignorant, but how is there lag in a text based game with current technology?
    Well, imagine there are 150+ people all spamming various commands basically at the same time.

Probably not exactly a small amount of data to parse, hence the bit of lag.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Dear @Sarapis, please for the love of jesus upgrade your servers. Every event that is intended for massive participation from the Achaean community ends in a shit show because of lag. Cut into the huge profits ya'll making and do us all a service and upgrade your infrastructure. The lag was absolutely terribe. Making the CTF unplayable in melee.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    also maintaining good servers is expensive for the income of a text game. migrating is also work. When there are only two or three paid admin and one paid coder, limits are everywhere. Maintaining bandwidth is also expensive. I imagine doubly so for a game based in America. The wonderful world of internet is complex and funky. 

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Puxi said:
    The lag ruined it for me. Maybe it is me being ignorant, but how is there lag in a text based game with current technology?
    Achaea is single-threaded, so every command is handled in turn. The fact that people start spamming commands during lag just makes it worse.
  • Those seem like pretty shotty excuses to me, but I don't know what their P&L looks like. Just baffles me that there would be lag at all during something like that if they had semi-decent servers.
  • It was more fun than I thought it would be, even with lag. And we did well! :)
  • Mishgul said:
    also maintaining good servers is expensive for the income of a text game. migrating is also work. When there are only two or three paid admin and one paid coder, limits are everywhere. Maintaining bandwidth is also expensive. I imagine doubly so for a game based in America. The wonderful world of internet is complex and funky. 
    I don't know what Achaea does with their profits. I do know Zulah claims to have dropped 7K plus this month along with my 7K dropped over the last 3 months = 14,000 dollars just from two players in Achaea. They should be able to afford to pay everyone, upgrade and maintain their infrastructure. Especially when we have a lot of retired folk migrating to Achaea from other MUDS. Now from a business standpoint I'd understand if the pros didn't outweight the cons. Just come out and say that during big events you might as well log off so I don't waste my time.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    You can go ahead and log off during big events.
    More winning for me.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Had a great time killing everyone. GJ Mhaldor for sticking with me til the end, in spite of the odds
  • Vender said:
    this was my first ctf in achaea and i had really great time. favorite moments were killing proficy when she used deliverance with arrows and killing ashtan tree spawn campers with cooper and nodding to each other
    lol

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
    edited September 2016
    Leviticus said:
    Mishgul said:
    I don't know what Achaea does with their profits. I do know Zulah claims to have dropped 7K plus this month along with my 7K dropped over the last 3 months = 14,000 dollars just from two players in Achaea. They should be able to afford to pay everyone, upgrade and maintain their infrastructure. Especially when we have a lot of retired folk migrating to Achaea from other MUDS. Now from a business standpoint I'd understand if the pros didn't outweight the cons. Just come out and say that during big events you might as well log off so I don't waste my time.
    we cannot base our logic over this. that might be the 14000 dollars they got total. i guess you would need to get the data from them before you could drop a proper argument. Working on payment systems has made me appreciate the amount of work you have to do to get a program to run smoothly with multiple users sending requests. I dont mean it is solely expensive from a currency point of view. The resources you need does not always correlate with the money you have either. i wonder how many senior network engineers would want to work for achaea for example for the wages that iron realms can offer.

edit: and i wonder how many programmers want to work on fixing legacy code re: what makarios said.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
  • edited September 2016
    Was awesome to see so many smaller people coming out to join the madness.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

i am sad i missed it. next time i will make sure to check upcoming before booking any vacation.

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • Had to work last minute :( glad everyone had fun

• Wish I could have been here. My sister's reception was tonight, so...priorities :(

• Bann said:
    Wish I could have been here. My sister's reception was tonight, so...priorities :(
    I think you would have been the difference for Ashtan!  :#
  • Puxi said:
    Bann said:
    Wish I could have been here. My sister's reception was tonight, so...priorities :(
    I think you would have been the difference for Ashtan!  :#
    Breh I multislash like a bawss.