The South-West of England.

edited December 2012 in The Wander Inn

So my plans changed at the last minuet and I've moved back to Bristol instead of London. Are there any Achaeans living in Bristol at the moment, or in the wider South West? Would be cool to set up a meet of there are enough of us.

I won a competition awhile ago to have Chris Bourassa paint a picture of Lodi. My profile pic is the end product. :)

Comments

• I'm in Gloucester until early January, but I'm 99% sure that's everyone in the area.

Someone prove me wrong, so I have an excuse to buy more alcohol for a meet up or something.
  • edited December 2012
    Well that sucks...
    I won a competition awhile ago to have Chris Bourassa paint a picture of Lodi. My profile pic is the end product. :)
  • Not sure if general comment, or if I said something wrong.

IIRC, @Dorn lives in Wales.
  • edited December 2012
    :D That was just a general comment mate, sorry if you thought it was aimed at you. :D I was hoping there would be more of us around here, that's all.
  • I think the majority of Achaeans in England are focused around London area, with a few here and there in other parts.
  • Heathens.

• I find this unfortunate, because London scares the - out of me. So many *people*

Silas, I cannot possibly take you seriously with that avatar. Seriously, S. Vimes in a Santa hat is calling me a heathen. This makes literally no sense.
  • Huh. Just noticed this.

Yes, I'm in Wales. Cardiff to be exact. If, you know, you have some strange urge to see a big vaguely neolithic bearded man for whatever reason.
  • midlands here.. though I do have friends in bristol.. 
  • edited December 2012
    Cool! Would you guys be interested in holding a meet in Bristol? Bristol's pritty well located when it comes to travel, better than London in many cases. Any other Brits reading this would be more than welcome. :) I haven't spoken to a fellow Achaean in the flesh for over ten years, would be good to talk about stuff face to face.
  • I'd consider coming, sure. Need to know exactly when for finances and such, but Bristol's a lot easier to arrange than London!
  • edited December 2012
    @Dorn @Katia @Chryenth. You guys up for holding a meet on the 5th of Jan at the Apple Pub in the middle of Bristol? I'm currently helping renovate and run an Edwardian theater in Easton, and could probs put a few people up for the night if needs be. :)
  • The 5th is one of the few days I can't make. :(
  • @Chryenth. How about the 12th?
  • Back in Swansea on the 6th, exams 9th/10th/12th and some the week after. Maaay be able to get away the week after that.
  • Yeah, I can't do the 5th either. 12th might be doable - I had some plans for that week, but they don't have to happen on the weekend.
  • Maybe January is a bit to soon then. I'm not going to be free at the end of it for various reasons. Whats everyone doing in Feb?
  • Feb is fine, although, just as a general note for planning - I can't do the first or third Saturday of any month. I run my own meetups on those days. I can sometimes get away with dropping the third Sat on someone else to manage, but the first is the only time I get to see some of my family every month, so yeah.
  • I have no idea what my Feb is going to be like. Probably up to here (emote holds a hand at neck height) in lectures and coursework. I'll see if I have a day free - I seem to recall that I get a three-day weekend most days for this next semester.
  • New to Achaea here, but long-term IRE player. (Been to a few Lusternia meets.) - I live in Liverpool, but spent a decade of my life living in Bristol. I'd be up for meeting some new people, for sure.
    Innovate or Die.
  • working on the 5th, sorry hun
  • edited December 2012
    I'm quite close... but sadly, not quite close enough. My age is pretty limiting in regards to travel, accommodation and expenses, oh if only you were closer!
  • edited December 2012
    Soooooooooo... looks like quite a few people are interested. Do you think I should make a new thread about a national meet up in Bristol? I wonder if some people who may be interested haven't checked in here because they're not from cider country.

In regards to dates, how does the 24th of Feb work for people?
  • Reviving - 24th Feb, that -should- work for me, assuming my local meetups don't change the date again this month. >.>
  • Turns out I'll be in Sheffield that weekend, attempting to weasel my way out of being repeatedly punched in the face. :(

No, I'm not kidding.
  • Cool, there's still interest then. :)@Chryenth @Dorn @Katia @Caeya Would the 17th of Feb or the 2nd of March  fit in with you guys (if your all still interested)?

What do you want to do? I'm not a drinker, but would a pub meet be ok with you guys?
  • ... I *might* be able to make the 17th, if more people are interested.
  • edited January 2013
    I might be able to do the 17th, but I'd need to know by the 2nd so I can change plans - that's normally the meetup day of one of my social groups here in Cardiff, and since I arrange the meetups I need to post if plans change. 2nd of March isn't doable - that's a family day for me.

Pub meet works - I don't drink either, but good pubs have nice atmospheres and are comfortable to just relax in. :D Walking is a bit of a problem for me, so anything that minimizes travel is good!
  • Forgot to add: Don't drink, but pub meet is fine.
  • Nice :) So its looking like the 17th which is sweet. What time do you think would be best to meet up? I'm thinking early afternoon so you guys can get back home in the evening. That sound ok? Perhaps we should meat at Temple Meads and then catch a bus into town. There's a real nice jaz pub in the center called the Old Duke that I go to occasional. Its friendly and welcoming so I'd recommend there as a good destination.