Ask Your Producers: September 2016

Comments

• @Szanthax Heraldry. It's a rat's nest of nightmares held together with basilisk spittle and the blood of octogenarian sacrifices. Almost impossible to work with.
  • Skye said:
    Are there any plans in place to put some of the more underused commodities to use? With a few exceptions, we're still running largely in the surplus area for certain comms.

Ice, for example, even though it has its uses in augmentation etc, but nobody is going to use that much. The amount of time spent digging it up isn't worth the price it's going for right now. 

The UW event and the territory system was great at burning up some comms, but a large portion of them were ultimately either game generated (like rope) or already in-demand (coal, stone, steel). 

Definitely more plans there!

• Aegoth said:
    When shall Sartan descend from the heavens to once again rain fire, death, and despair upon all of us, and to show that true Suffering and Oppression exist only within the mind's eye... but only when it is viciously stabbed by His Blade of Perdition?

What the hell happened to my Underworld? :(

Are there plans in store to revamp the war system (kind of like the UW event experiment) in the near future?

Who has the record for most kills in a single holocaust trap? If it's not me, what number do I have to beat?

Are there any plans to make leadership changes in Oligarchies easier for the players when they have no active Divine?

Thanks for your time!

Sartan: when a volunteer wants the role, basically.

'MY' Underworld will return soon, never fear.

We'd love to do more with the war system, doing good war systems are a very delicate business though. We'll try things out in various events most likely to get an idea of what is received well and what isn't, and work up to something from there.

Holocaust trap: you'd have to quote me your score.

We'd like to revamp the leadership stuff some, its definitely in need of a tuning up. Just a fairly low priority project with what else we have on the table right now.

• edited September 2016
    My highest right now is 23 kills (though that was also with a crucible)

Non-crucible holo-trap is 18 kills
  • Nicola said:
    @Szanthax Heraldry. It's a rat's nest of nightmares held together with basilisk spittle and the blood of octogenarian sacrifices. Almost impossible to work with.
    Almost choked on my totally rum free diet coke...

• @Blujixapug

1. My 90's influences would have been the likes of Roald Dahl, David Eddings, James Herbert (UK horror writer), and Iain Banks. While this might get me lynched, I found that Lord of the Rings trilogy suffered from the same thing (granted to a lesser extent) that turns me off ASOIAF, namely it loves itself far too much and is entirely too indulgent of its own quirks and not so pretty idiosyncrasies. These two doorstops have taught me to be critical of fanciful plot twists and elaborate unecessaries. I did (and do) however love the Hobbit.

2. From a daily life perspective I like Achaea as more of a sandbox, as a character you can build up your life as you like. From a macro story angle, a choose your own adventure (within our limits) allows us to better control the overarching plots and direction.

3. Who doesn't love a reboot?

4. None, so no comment.

5. I love that we have so much to work with, I occasionally lift my eyes to the heavens in search of an answer to "Why..." But I'd not want to be in charge of making this amazing world from scratch.

• Sarathai said:
    With UW still closed (though I'm sure it'll be back when it's ready), and looking forward with more and more players reaching Dragon (and possessing a death cape), are there any thoughts or plans (or active projects) to introduce new Dragon-level bashing areas like the Fissure of Echoes?
    You missed my question!

I also have another one, though. What's the IC perspective of the denizen population on Great Hunts? Because from where they stand, it basically seems as though gods that they worship and respect are declaring a 1-2-3 month pass for adventurers (and many dragons) to slaughter them all for fun in a contest that revolves around who can kill the most. Are GHs somewhat or even solidly OOC in that sense?
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Nicola said:
    @Szanthax Heraldry. It's a rat's nest of nightmares held together with basilisk spittle and the blood of octogenarian sacrifices. Almost impossible to work with.
    Kindly wipe it all, and let @Anaidiana and I try to make something respectable out of it!

#MakeClementiusProudAgain2k16
  • Nicola said:
    @Blujixapug

1. My 90's influences would have been the likes of Roald Dahl, David Eddings, James Herbert (UK horror writer), and Iain Banks. While this might get me lynched, I found that Lord of the Rings trilogy suffered from the same thing (granted to a lesser extent) that turns me off ASOIAF, namely it loves itself far too much and is entirely too indulgent of its own quirks and not so pretty idiosyncrasies. These two doorstops have taught me to be critical of fanciful plot twists and elaborate unecessaries. I did (and do) however love the Hobbit.

2. From a daily life perspective I like Achaea as more of a sandbox, as a character you can build up your life as you like. From a macro story angle, a choose your own adventure (within our limits) allows us to better control the overarching plots and direction.

3. Who doesn't love a reboot?

4. None, so no comment.

5. I love that we have so much to work with, I occasionally lift my eyes to the heavens in search of an answer to "Why..." But I'd not want to be in charge of making this amazing world from scratch.

I love eddings. Damn wish I'd known everyone better :( I'm such a loner

• @Krypton Unfortunately that is a hefty undertaking that first requires large scale protection measures to ensure that the beast does not also take out half of Achaea as it squirms, shrivels, and eventually dies.
  • What are your favourite books/movies/comics/late '90s alt-industrial bands/video games that influenced your personal creative style? Other than Lord of the Rings.

Do you view Achaea as more like a sandbox, where players are given a variety of creative tools but little structure, or like a choose-your-own-adventure, where narrative is rigid but progresses in a significant way? Would you prefer it to be different? How do you feel about some players perpetually longing for more narrative?

Do you think DC can redeem their terrible film franchise or are they just going to reboot it? Like, everyone hails Geoff Johns as this auteur messiah, but Zack "Dark is the Best Colour so Dial Up the Pessimism" Snyder is still directing Justice League.

Do you have any history with creative writing? How do you feel that developing Achaea compares to being an author?

How do you approach Achaea's chimeric nature as a persistent setting, with its world and lore involving more than a decade of content woven into a sometimes mismatched patchwork? You have builders writing things in different places, years apart and years ago, who all had their own style and vision for the game: things like Clockwork Isle and Bopalopia. Do you ever wish for a clean slate, or do you embrace it? Is the game's esoteric history ever a challenge?

1. For books, probably the First Law. I like my flavour text pretty graphic when I can get away with it. Goes for events too though, I'm a big fan of morally grey characters where the 'hero' isn't entitled to a win. Black and white is pretty boring, especially in the context of Achaea.

2. I think narrative is very important, but rigid narrative is bad if over used. The storyline needs to progress and usually needs to go from point A to point B. I think players should have a very big hand in shaping how you get from one point to another though. I'd say in Achaea there's a place for both. The Bal'met event was very rigid narrative wise, but was pr obably the most epic event in Achaea's history. On the flip side the Conclave was very fluid, and I think that was a huge success too.

3: Haha, no.

4: The only creative writing history I have is forum trolling. Probably not what you're looking for.

5: I'd not want a clean slate, I think Achaea's history gives massive opportunities. Some things are a bit incongruent but for the most part I think the massive lore (player-established and admin-established) is a major benefit.

• @Sarathai
    We're always looking for ways to expand the world and to give better opportunities to players of all levels, but these take time, imagination, and manpower which are often tied up in other projects.

I largely believe that the denizens of Achaea see you all as insane murderers, and that if it meant you got credits they believe you'd all hand your darling mothers over to Sallust without question.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Is it likely that High Clans will ever see a return?

What, in your opinion, is the most difficult thing about taking up a God role?

What does a typical day for you involve?

Do you have a favourite area in terms of the quests/layout/writing?

What is the workload of a mortal builder like?

Why is it necessary for housing to be deleted upon an adventurer's retirement?
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• @Makarios @Nicola

Which class, if you had to choose, would go the way of Shallam?

City?

Also, who would win in a tumble race?

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Marketing: ever think of doing something like mentorship but with ooc marketing? I'd give everyone I met an achaea card with flavor text and a code on the back for "10 free credits!" Or whatever. If they wound up playing and buying I'd get whatever. I'd have to buy the cards...

• TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Game - any plans to release a guide, or even a hints-and-tips on where to find particular furnishing materials? (why the #*#$ are driftwood and wicker so hard to find? You're making my gypsy shabby chic decor impossible, guys)

Personal - Do you guys ever miss "playing" Achaea? (Do you even have time to miss it?)

• Atalkez said:
    @Makarios @Nicola

Which class, if you had to choose, would go the way of Shallam?

City?

Also, who would win in a tumble race?

If I absolutely had to choose, probably bard, just so we could rewrite it. Its a real mess.

I think all the cities are in a great spot right now.

That depends, can I cheat?

• Taraus said:
    Game - any plans to release a guide, or even a hints-and-tips on where to find particular furnishing materials? (why the #*#$ are driftwood and wicker so hard to find? You're making my gypsy shabby chic decor impossible, guys)

Personal - Do you guys ever miss "playing" Achaea? (Do you even have time to miss it?)

Missing playing - occasionally, but not seriously anymore. More like a "man, I bet that'd be fun" during events or whatnot. If that makes sense!
  • @Jurixe

1. Maybe, I can't really say yes or no at this juncture, they're on the table to be critically examined once time allows.

2. The Order! Once you've gone through and learned all the lore and worked out a plan of action to take it all on, you think the hard work is done, but no. Players love to test a returned God to see how much they know/remember. All the homework in the world can't prepare you for this. It makes it very intimidating for people trying to take up the mantle.

3. Mornings for me start with forums, issues, a cup of tea, emails, messages, another cup of tea. Then I share various problems/questions that I can't solve with Mak as he passes along his own share of things to me. Ideally from then on, working on whatever project we're doing. This carries on with various minor interruptions for running from zombies (me), walking the dog (Mak), hiking (me), and occasional meals until sometime into late night.

4. I'm really liking the plan for the Underworld, even if it's taking much longer than anticipated.

5. Depends on the builder and their willingness to work!

6. As the player no longer exists, items/rooms that hold their ownership might cause less-than-hilarious issues if they remain. It also frees up the gameworld for newer characters to get a chance at half decent property locations and means we're not locking down subdivisions for legacy names that actively cannot return.

@Atalkez

I don't love Druid, but that's a personal idiosyncrasy, I hate druid-esque things in all media forms.

Cyrene, muahaha, maybe they'd be stirred into reaction! (Really I love all our cities)

Makarios would win a tumble race. He's renowned for using his amazing coding skills to gain keen advantage over the competition. Not that I'm saying he'd hack it, or anything of the sort, but only the foolish and new play RPS with Makarios.

@Szanthax

Not something we've really considered, but marketing is handled on an IRE wide basis.

@Taraus

Some materials are more rare than others, but they're largely found in locations or environments that have some kind of tie.

I miss raiding! (No, we don't get a lot of time to miss it.)
  • Why are jesters the worst and are there any plans in the works to delete them?
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Are there any features (QoL or otherwise) that you really really wanted implemented as a player but still haven't managed to implement as a producer/developer?

• Armali said:
    Why are jesters the worst and are there any plans in the works to delete them?

I tried, but it was so confusing that I was stunned into inaction and forgot what I was doing.

• edited September 2016
    @Armali

After a few years in the Garden your sense of humour warps. One day you wake up and realise that jesters are the most hilarious thing ever and must be protected and cherished at all costs.
  • Who are the top 3 wheel spinners and who has the most spins?
  • Can you give a run-down of some of the things that the mortal builders have made/done? And are they currently working on something?
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• How soon until Delosian Eagles have a purpose?

Also, I'll RPS you best of 3 for a TF/TDF, Mak
  • @Zulah you're top of the list.

@Sarathai I cannot!
  • @Aegoth all in good time
This discussion has been closed.