Minipets or Major Pests

So minipets in Achaea have just exploded - a great example of too much of a good thing. Way too much. I mean I like minipets, but Achaea is absolutely flooded with these. I feel we really jumped the shark when we started having pet boots ... and balls ... and ropes. I know that they were an easy, well-received item for many of the promos but can we give it a rest, please? Just for a little while! The ubiquity of these little critters have destroyed almost any cache they could have held and it's turned minipets from being cool to well ... something else.

Comments

• The sheer number of mini pets have turned it from a nice little novelty to total saturation imho. New content is great but you can have too much of a good thing

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • They are actually more of an issue than just an eyesore.

If you run the popular gmcp.Char.Items.Add prepare to crash if I decide to walk through with my entourage out.

Room soft cap is 250 items I believe. Fill room to cap, step to new room fill room to cap, repeat, repeat, go to roomful of people, blow whistle, summon 700 minipets, wait 2 minutes and watch the souls refill the bodies of everyone in front of you.

Snap target, blow whistle x2, selfishness lags and doesn't retrigger 80% of the time.

Start instakill, spam whistle, target dies if they are even still connected.

And the most important problem: Entourage over 250 means no one is dropping bomb/sigils/etc in the room you're in while your there. It's like having an artefact to protect you from room drops.

If pets were tradeable (as they are already on ARTEFACT LIST) almost everyone would be trading them in and no major code changes would have to be implemented right away. However at some point the whole system of full rooms preventing combat aides and crashing gmcp.Char.Items.Add easily needs to be fixed.

I personally stopped using my zoo because people were dying from me walking through the room when they were bashing, they were crashing all over the place from me walking through. One poor fellow even had his current mudlet profile corrupted from it and had to load a previous one. Fortunately he didn't lose much and wasn't mad at me but that was the final straw for me. Now I don't use them however when someone kills me and I drop 500+ minipets... well that was your fault for killing me B)

• We have some things in the work to resolve this problem. You'll see one today, a more involved one in a little while.
  • A simple pet summoning limit would suffice
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • @Torinn that doesn't help the fact that there's an extreme oversaturation of pets right now. Just having a summoning limit helps with things like Zulah's entourage, but not with the fact that there are (probably) several thousand crated minipets just sitting in people's inventory. I have 10 crates myself and I've been actively trying to sell them off/giving them away since the month began. 
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • Torinn said:
    A simple pet summoning limit would suffice
    And a dropping limit for when I die?

And a max pets in room limit?

And a max total items in room change to stop sigil lockout?

And...
  • edited September 2016
    I love the variety of them, in all games really.  There is going to be something for everyone.  I only have 2 I think.  And both are so neat.  

I'd like to see it where someone can't really try to sell them for crazy amounts, but many of the pets are available for a certain (reasonable) price and people can try to undercut that by a bit.  Minipets have had this sort of crazy "nope, I am not paying ~100 credits (and up)" for this cute little doodad to "I can't GIVE this thing away" cycle.  And obviously fewer pets on the gambling promos for a bit, so agree.  I don't really care if my pets are super exclusive or not.  I just care if they're neat pets.  But it's like trouble with tribbles up in here.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I'm sure that several would disappear if they had a small tradein value, like 5cr or something.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Jonathin said:
    I'm sure that several would disappear if they had a small tradein value, like 5cr or something.
    100cr per would be just fine by me....
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    Tradein value please! Or make them not come back when I give them to a humgii.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • I believe the garden prices minipets at 200 cr. The cost of permanent, resetting items, is a base 100 cr.
  • Just make them pokemon and introduce battling and attacks. Watch the carnage
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Zulah said:
    Torinn said:

And...
    what I don't get is why the hell you took them all out of the crates to begin with. It's easier to transport them around if they're all still boxed. You could've dumped the crates all over your ship and left them there without crashing anyone.

• Except that wasn't possible when you did it, nor did you have any expectation that it definitely would become possible.

@Makarios @Nicola Does this apply to things from previous promotions too? I wouldn't mind getting something in exchange for the 20 or so crates I have sitting in my inventory from past promotions.
  • Zulah said:
    He needs credits

• I recieved a total of 2700cr from minipet tradeins
  • So how about that coin toss?
  • Aegoth said:
    So how about that coin toss?
    Apparently my luck sucks. 2000 spins and no super rare presents :-1:
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    yw guys
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • No plans to do it for stuff not wheel related. We honestly didn't expect such a crazy amount of wheel interest so quickly, which is what generated so many minipets.
  • how about a trade in for these sodding crooks too? Waste of a present....

• Khaibit said:
    how about a trade in for these sodding crooks too? Waste of a present....
    Oh please this. I can appreciate that it was slightly funny at first, but I have four :(

• HalosHalos The Reaches
    edited September 2016
    You take a skeletal kitten from a crate marked "dead animal inside".
    A crate marked "dead animal inside" crumbles to dust before your eyes.

You take a skeletal kitten from a crate marked "dead animal inside".
    A crate marked "dead animal inside" crumbles to dust before your eyes.

promo tradein kitten

That may not be traded in via this method.
    Ugh, I only took them out of the crates for the tradein

eta: is there some way I can get rid of them for free? I dont want them @Makarios

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • Trey said:
    Khaibit said:
    Oh please this. I can appreciate that it was slightly funny at first, but I have four :(
    Four?!? Damn that must be weighing you down...

47 Master Goatherd's Crooks,
    65 Crooks of Ovine Mastery,
    57 Crooks of the Master Donkey Wrangler,

• Beanie babies on our hands

• Trey said:
    Khaibit said:
    "crook329067"                           a Master Goatherd's Crook
    "crook359715"                           a Master Goatherd's Crook
    "crook413839"                           a Crook of Ovine Mastery
    "crook448213"                           a Crook of the Master Donkey Wrangler
    "crook353903"                           a Crook of Ovine Mastery
    "crook389066"                           a Crook of Ovine Mastery
    "crook354146"                           a Master Goatherd's Crook
    "crook428893"                           a Crook of the Master Donkey Wrangler
    "crook292080"                           a Master Goatherd's Crook

• Zulah said:
    Torinn said:

And...
    Well I can imagine a couple solutions. One is that only <arbitrary number> can be dropped by you at a time. Then on death no pets drop from your inventory. I never understood why they drop on death to begin with, they can't really be used by others and just reset, so between the limit on dropping from your inventory and then no dropping on death that would at least solve the room spam. The other solution is to have pets stored elsewhere than your inventory that you can access and withdraw them. I k ow these are just shots in the dark though. In addition, having a trade in value would be great but there may be those with a huge collection that won't trade them in
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Khaibit said:
    Trey said:
    Khaibit said:
    "crook329067"                           a Master Goatherd's Crook
    "crook359715"                           a Master Goatherd's Crook
    "crook413839"                           a Crook of Ovine Mastery
    "crook448213"                           a Crook of the Master Donkey Wrangler
    "crook353903"                           a Crook of Ovine Mastery
    "crook389066"                           a Crook of Ovine Mastery
    "crook354146"                           a Master Goatherd's Crook
    "crook428893"                           a Crook of the Master Donkey Wrangler
    "crook292080"                           a Master Goatherd's Crook
    You hastily tear off the wrapping paper from a shining birthday present, revealing a Crook of Ovine 
    Mastery inside!
    13932h, 8562m, 40185e, 33645w cexkdb-
    You hastily tear off the wrapping paper from a shining birthday present, revealing a Master 
    Goatherd's Crook inside!

add those too... ugh, this promotion

• Szanthax said:
    Beanie babies on our hands
    great real life comparison