Surnames

Comments

• KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    edited December 2012

@Tvistor Katzchen swings between a passive-aggressive attitude towards her Hashani/etc family, and a more actively aggressive stance. I don't really give a toss if I get thrown out of the clan, so they can tell me off all they like.

Nizaris and I take personal interest when a family member has wronged Mhaldor, and specifically look out for the chance to kill them for it.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• @Katzchen I'm honestly surprised neither you or Niz has actually told Trilli to get out of Cyrene so she can die for trying to kill ormyrr and such when all the other cities went to raid. Mind you- she didn't even get to defendable because ... I don't remember what I did, I just died to ormyrr and had to leave the fight because of my kids. 
    meh

• Trilliana said:
    @Katzchen I'm honestly surprised neither you or Niz has actually told Trilli to get out of Cyrene so she can die for trying to kill ormyrr and such when all the other cities went to raid. Mind you- she didn't even get to defendable because ... I don't remember what I did, I just died to ormyrr and had to leave the fight because of my kids. 
    I wasn't really around during most of that event. I had really only caught up on the whole thing by the time the tides were turned and we were fighting the Ormyrr ourselves. Anyway I would never demand someone left the safety of a city, because well, you'd just get laughed at.

• CDF Katzchen Family not dysfunctional enough.
  • Sure it is. I even have this nephew who disowned himself. That's pretty dysfunctional.

• I didn't say it was not dysfunctional, I just said it wasn't dysfunctional enough.
  • I've been using the surname "al-Shallami" for Hideyoshi for RL years. Not as a family name (Hideyoshi RPs a cliche orphaned adventurer) , but to denote his place of origin, Shallam.
    I chose al-Shallami because i saw that Shallam was designed in the orient-ish culture model, and using a surname to denote one's place of origin (city of birth or clan origin) is a common practice there. So I wanted to be true to (what I think) the original model of Shallam and bring it to my Achaean RP.
  • edited December 2012

LastGoodbye is a perfect example of an old Brit type surname that sounds a bit odd to modern ears.  That was my first thought when Savras gave us all the name.  "Weird" names in other languages usually just sound "exotic" or "elegant" to people, even in the rare case that we actually know what the words mean, because it isn't (sort of, but not quite) our own language.  That said, LastGoodbye isn't on the same level of "sounds silly to a modern English speaker" as something like Shufflebottom.  Oh well, haters gonna hate...

• I'm pretty sure it's mostly the capital "G" and the fact that it's stolen from a well-known Jeff Buckley song.
  • I don't think so.  I did see that this song filled up at least the first page of hits before I made my post, but even if it were a tip of the hat to this song, I doubt that's what most people don't like about it (or they'd mention it a lot more).  I've heard the name bashed before, and mostly people just think it sounds funny (and it does, a bit).
  • edited December 2012
    No, the "G" is mostly it. It isn't that it sounds funny so much as that it looks funny (though it does sound kinda funny). There's a reason LastGoodbye and Zuiho_sho usually show up in the same context.
  • edited December 2012
    Delphinus said:
    No, the "G" is mostly it. It isn't that it sounds funny so much as that it looks funny (though it does sound kinda funny). There's a reason LastGoodbye and Zuiho_sho usually show up in the same context.
    Hmm, well, I believe you, because people are nothing if not fickle... There are so many real names that behave in that exact way (and people destined for a life of seeing their name written incorrectly).  @Aerek - that's ShuffleBottom The "funniest" such name I've seen on a person I actually knew was "VanBumble", on a short Azn dude no less.
  • Jules said:
    I don't think so.  I did see that this song filled up at least the first page of hits before I made my post, but even if it were a tip of the hat to this song, I doubt that's what most people don't like about it (or they'd mention it a lot more).  I've heard the name bashed before, and mostly people just think it sounds funny (and it does, a bit).
    Most of us just think that it's one of the most dumb last names in Achaea. It's mostly that it's two words combined that form a really dumb name, and then they go ahead and capitalize it too.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Ravenwind looks acceptable at least?
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I have no idea where Fort got Adwimar, but I used it for so long that it felt weird thinking about dropping it.

• edited December 2012
    Trey said:
    I have no idea where Fort got Adwimar, but I used it for so long that it felt weird thinking about dropping it.

Adwimar is pretty cool :) 

Mine is Tasleus Ishida-Tasath. Got the Ishida bit from Ganelon (before he suicided :(:( ) and picked the Tasath up from Rastriana. May even remove the Ishida bit. Too japanese, not enough fantasy. 

Tas is considering removing the Tasath part since Rastriana's now all enemied to Cyrene and such. He's kinda angry about everything right now.
  • Okay, forgot to add Trilli's current surname- Inamora, which is (was :( RIP) from Selene, being in the Order and such. I'll be hard-pressed to remove it unless I'm asked and given a good reason. 
    meh

• Cooper is definitely a dumb name. This was supposed to be a throw-away alt just to experience the new Infernals Guild though. But that didn't happen.

• Draekar said:

I used to absolutely love "Rian" because it represented an awesome lineage distilled down into me through Alinoe. Likewise my generation represented some of the best players in Good at that time.

Now it represents the dozens of novices I don't know who snuggle up to me and say hello uncle or great uncle :(

One curse of getting older :/

This is kinda how I feel about Lucoster. Always thought it was really great for Jhaeli to be descended from the founder of the Infernals and she was quite proud of most of her Ashtani family. Even if Ashtan is a lot different now than it was 200+ IC years ago, there's still a bit of pride for her home city there.

These days, when she sees her adoptive daughter's children wearing Lucoster (particularly if they're acting like goofs in her eyes), she isn't entirely sure what to think.

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• edited December 2012
    Cooper said:
    Cooper is definitely a dumb name. This was supposed to be a throw-away alt just to experience the new Infernals Guild though. But that didn't happen.

I made an alt to try team Good and actually found myself okay with everything, then realized Priest combat is lame and I don't know if I want to try Paladin. Looks boooooring. Serpent allows me to fail in so many creative ways!
  • Dangit @Aerek, now I'm going to want to call @Trey 'Count' >.<
    meh

• HalosHalos The Reaches
    That guy was crazy in Dark City.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • A Knight's Tale is one of my favorite movies.

I watched it four times in two days in June last year.
  • I hate the last name of 'Fireheart' OOC and I even had Herm wear a different name for a while before the guilt trip began. Luckily all of the children who have the name are worthless and the name will soon die.