Midwest meet

Comments

• Averi said:
    Here: http://doodle.com/poll/qav2dbbmrafzn7sc

I put vague times for when dinner, breakfast, and ren faire will probably be. Put your name down, check boxes, and such.
    @Tecton and @Nicola have both said they are attending the Renfest.  Nicola is also game for dinner Friday and breakfast Saturday.  With T being there, we'll have Valnurana, as well as Valton!!
  • I've got about a 4.5 hour drive before I can make it there on Friday, and I won't be able to leave until 4-5pm so we might be up for a late dinner or a movie once we've checked into the hotel.

I'll be staying the Friday night at the Comfort Inn 9040 Holly Rd, Grand Blanc. Will then head home after the Renfest Saturday night.
  • So, uhhh. I logged in to mention that Yavimaya and I are moving to Brighton, MI on Thursday. We'll be there Saturday. XD 
  • Faolin said:
    So, uhhh. I logged in to mention that Yavimaya and I are moving to Brighton, MI on Thursday. We'll be there Saturday. XD 
    As in. We'll be to our new house on Saturday. We're driving up from San Antonio, TX

• Faolin said:
    Faolin said:
    So, uhhh. I logged in to mention that Yavimaya and I are moving to Brighton, MI on Thursday. We'll be there Saturday. XD 
    As in. We'll be to our new house on Saturday. We're driving up from San Antonio, TX

That is one hell of a drive! I did Des Moines - Dallas last year, and did Dallas - San Antonio - Dallas last weekend. I don't envy that!

• Faolin said:
    That's a long way to move, just to meet us at the Renfest!!
  • Cooper said:
    Faolin said:
    Faolin said:

That is one hell of a drive! I did Des Moines - Dallas last year, and did Dallas - San Antonio - Dallas last weekend. I don't envy that!
    We are actually doing it in an RV, because we have accidentally collected 2 dogs, and 3 cats in Texas. Sooooo, Wednesday we're driving up to Houston, picking the RV up, driving back here, loading it and the RAV4 with what we're taking (which isn't much, the folks that bought our house, bought all our furniture) and then heading out. We actually found a 1 way RV rental, which'll drop off in Westland, MI, about 45 minutes from our new house. We figured it would be easier on the animals that way. And the drive is going to be MURDER because I have never been on a drive in a car longer than 4 hours, and am antsy after an hour in the car. I'm going to be a pain in the ass. 
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    We're staying at the Wingate Grand Blanc. If anyone else happens to be staying there, we'll have an extra seat in the car if you want to carpool, although I can understand if you don't want to be subjected to my grandma driving.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Jonathin said:
    We're staying at the Wingate Grand Blanc. If anyone else happens to be staying there, we'll have an extra seat in the car if you want to carpool, although I can understand if you don't want to be subjected to my grandma driving.
    Your grandma driving doesn't get the car pulled over tho :)

I have undressed a god.

• I have a couple of suggestions.  I have never been to Grand Blanc, but I did some searches and hunted for local places, not something you can go to back home (like Applebees or McDonald's).

Friday evening suggestion
    http://kickerssportsbar.com/ 
    at 5577 South Saginaw Road, Flint, MI 48507 (near both hotels that have been mentioned) 

Food is reasonably priced, reviews are decent.  Stays open late enough for @Nicola and others to get something to eat when they get in.  Anyone more familiar with the area, please feel free to chime in.

Saturday morning suggestion
    For breakfast, I recommend Leo's Coney Island.  It's a local chain in Michigan and the two in my area are both good.

http://grandblanc.orderleosconeyisland.com/#/  at 6238 Saginaw Rd. Grand Blanc, MI 48439

Anyone else want to look around or know the area?

• Once I get in on the Friday evening (it'll probably be after 9) and we've checked in we'll probably head up the road grab some food and see a movie.
    Might try for Star Trek because we've not yet managed to make it out to see that, but not sure what's playing yet. This is the theatre: https://ncgmovies.com/grand-blanc/

Anyone have plans/an idea for breakfast before heading to renfest?

• It's a shame that there isn't a Ram's Horn nearer to Holly, because that would be entirely Achaea themed appropriate. 

• Achaeans have already christened Ram's Horn, remember? After Looper?

• edited August 2016
    Trey said:
    Achaeans have already christened Ram's Horn, remember? After Looper?
    This is true. But us two is not a horde descending in geekery. I'm sad there isn't one near Brighton :( It's a good diner. 
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    ... I haven't been to Ram's Horn since I left Michigan.

Wish I could make it up there, but my vacation time will be spent at the beach.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    We're planning on just going up for the day on Saturday and then coming back home that night - can't wait!
  • Damn! I really wish I saw this thread sooner than just now.  :/ I'm in northern Indiana and Holly is only a three hour drive. I doubt I'll be able to make it being only three days out. I'll see what I can do though!
    Even if you just want to come up on Saturday, we'd be glad if you did!
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    Anyone cornered them and begged for new class leaks yet? Heh

• I'm not sure if I mentioned, but Marina and I are heading up. It's going to be a brutal day, but we'll make it. We're getting into Detroit around 5-6am.

• Note: I have no idea what's in the area, so if someone knows better locations, please do suggest!

It looks like the festival opens at 10am, so we early folks who want to see the opening could meet for breakfast about 8.30, perhaps at Big Apple Bagels (8185 Holly Rd, Grand Blanc)? I think we can sit down there. Then drive down for opening.

For folks showing up later maybe we have a meetup spot where we'll be at a certain time, or we can share a couple of phone numbers in order to coordinate with the not-so early birds.

• edited August 2016
    Nicola said:
    Note: I have no idea what's in the area, so if someone knows better locations, please do suggest!

It looks like the festival opens at 10am, so we early folks who want to see the opening could meet for breakfast about 8.30, perhaps at Big Apple Bagels (8185 Holly Rd, Grand Blanc)? I think we can sit down there. Then drive down for opening.

For folks showing up later maybe we have a meetup spot where we'll be at a certain time, or we can share a couple of phone numbers in order to coordinate with the not-so early birds.

I'd lean more towards a coney island type place like Leo's.  It would allow some variety for everyone and it's only 5 minutes or so north of Big Apple.  There is also Big Boy which is a couple minutes closer, but in the same general area.
  • Leo's looks good too. Hopefully others will chime in with a preference!
    I'm cool with anything. My new debit card arrived today, so I'm down for whatever.
  • I prefer leos overall, but i am a-okay going somewhere else.

I have undressed a god.

• Leos would be my preference too

• I'll see you bright and early birds at 8:30 at Leo's on Saturday! Provided I can get my sewing finished, I'll be dressed up.
  • If you want to Skype me, please let me know via message what your Skype is and I can add you so you can contact me while we are out and about.

Oh yeah, if you're going to be a latecomer, send me a message so you can get my number to meet us at the fair.
  • @Faolin !!  <3 Super excited to finally get to meet you!

If anyone wants me to pick up 20$ tickets for them today, I'd be happy to let you pay me back on Saturday. It's not a huge savings, but it's more money for other stuff!