Closure of MKO

2»

Comments

• Im still hoping for some salvaging of some of the fun mechanics of mko

(please bring Shadowweaving and give to Hashan o.o)
  • Asmodron said:
    Im still hoping for some salvaging of some of the fun mechanics of mko

(please bring Shadowweaving and give to Hashan o.o)
    Assassination please. Give it to a new sect of Quisalis
  • I would rather teach my children to play outside.
  • Aylek said:
    I would rather teach my children to play outside.
    Pretty sad that this has to be taught
  • edited August 2016
    I think it is legitimately harder to do in a lot of places.  It's not even all "vidya games".  Growing up, depending on where we lived (all Northern Cali though), I had a selection of vacant lots.  That I was actually allowed to go play in unsupervised.  Even by my overprotective mother.  Even though people definitely worried about child abduction by then.  But there does seem to be a social (and legal?) expectation that kids are supervised at all times now... And in any case, all of those vacant lots are gone, like they probably are in a lot of places.  Certainly a lot of places nearish the east or west coasts of the US (like Cali, for sure).  

Even when I was very, very young, and we lived in an apartment, I had the run of the apartment complex, which had lawns to play on, and bushes to hide in.  My babysitter's house was on an acre, which seemed HUGE to a kid from town, and yet... I was convinced that if I could just go explore the hills BEHIND the house, the entrance to Narnia was there somewhere.  Also, there were apparently coons there, because I got to hear all about how her husband used to coon hunt back there.  So Narnia + Where the Red Fern Grows.   
  • Sarapis said:
    Aesgar said:
    Not sure what upkeep the costs for Achaea servers are like, but if it ever comes to this PLEASE call for player crowdfunding before we do any of this closing business! 

I would be very surprised if we fast forward to 15 years in the future and Achaea is not still running. The question is more about how much development/admin staff it'll have, I think, which is ultimately a function of its ability to produce revenue. It's almost impossible for me to see Achaea not still running in 2031 though, seriously. This was my first game creation, and there's no freaking way it's going down. 
    If this ever goes bust, I'd be okay as long as it's not @Jinsun's signature on the chapter 11 filing.
    Don't worry. I don't touch bankruptcy.
  • Jinsun said:
    Sarapis said:
    Aesgar said:
    Not sure what upkeep the costs for Achaea servers are like, but if it ever comes to this PLEASE call for player crowdfunding before we do any of this closing business! 

I would be very surprised if we fast forward to 15 years in the future and Achaea is not still running. The question is more about how much development/admin staff it'll have, I think, which is ultimately a function of its ability to produce revenue. It's almost impossible for me to see Achaea not still running in 2031 though, seriously. This was my first game creation, and there's no freaking way it's going down. 
    If this ever goes bust, I'd be okay as long as it's not Jinsun's signature on the chapter 11 filing.

• SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    Jinsun said:
    Sarapis said:
    Aesgar said:

If this ever goes bust, I'd be okay as long as it's not @Jinsun's signature on the chapter 11 filing.
    Poor peoples 

• Interis said:
    I think I am one of the few that may have come over from MKO. I loved the game and had quite a bit invested. I am hoping I will be able to find a new home here.
    Welcome! I hope you do too! New blood is always great to have!
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Interis said:
    I think I am one of the few that may have come over from MKO. I loved the game and had quite a bit invested. I am hoping I will be able to find a new home here.
    Howdy and welcome to the flagship, where there is a niche and a home waiting for you. Don't be afraid to jump right in, we'll all try and make you feel as homey as possible.
  • Interis said:
    The majority of the players actually seemed to have gone either here, or Lusternia. I think I heard of a smaller number going to Imperian. But yeah, quite a bit more than just a few have moved here from MkO.
  • @Interis : Welcome. First tip for a new comer is to take everything on the forums with not just a grain of salt but with a ocean of salt. A lot of the cynical and disillusion comes out on the forums so a lot that is posted here is the worst of the worst.

Use the forums to poke around, ask questions, get advice on skills but please don't use it as a yardstick of the state of the game.

And again, welcome and we all hope you'll stick with us.
  • Interis said:

Well, I just noticed you joined Mhaldor, so you're in for a treat!
  • I expect a lot of rhe sar-sargoth players to join Mhaldor :p
  • Thank you everyone. While I did play a Sargothian, I played at points, every place in MKO. I do have a couple of questions.

The idea of trying to script something for the much complicated Achaea is daunting. Are there decent free systems to use? 
    The RP quality? I chose Mhaldor for RP reasons, not really for its similarity to anything in MKO.
  • Achaea's built in curing system is pretty good. If you want something client side, svof is pretty popular (uses Mudlet). It's free, and found on Github here.
  • ^Basically all that.

What I like to suggest to people is, if this is their first time playing Achaea they should use the server side curing, as that does everything you need without all the extra flull, at least while you're picking up the basics of the game itself.

Yes, there are a lot of similar things between MkO and Achaea, but these two games differ the most between any of the other games, and you will be learning a lot of new things albeit being able to pick it up much faster than first time MUDders.

Svof adds a lot of extra fluff, but also very useful things. Takes time to get use to, especially if you're use to using matawa.

There's also Wundersys(?sp?) which may or may not be free, but it's the second most heard of after Svof.
  • Serverside can be used at all tiers of playing, including high-end PvP.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
    Atalkez said:
    Serverside can be used at all tiers of playing, including high-end PvP.
    I was going to say that... But I wanted someone IN that tier to say it lol... And not "in 2006 I could kill people me"

• It's important to note that serverside works at high levels of play only with client side scripts for priority adjustment in various situations.
    Amranu said:
    It's important to note that serverside works at high levels of play only with client side scripts for priority adjustment in various situations.
    That's also the case for client side curing. But you don't need to create a system from scratch...