No Man's Sky

Come on you son of a bitch. It's been the 12th for 23 hours already.

Comments

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I gave up and will buy it if peer review is good in one month

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Mishgul said:
    I gave up and will buy it if peer review is good in one month
    wise words!
  • No multiplayer, just explore random planets, no storyline.. I can't personally see the appeal.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • I've been playing it now, decided to get it. It's a very relaxing game. If you enjoy exploring, it's amazing with how big each planet is on it's own, finding and identifying the different creatures and plants. Combat is pretty sparse, asides from some agressive critters and sentinel robots. Other than that, go around, find technology and resources and explore. It's definitely not for everyone, but I'm enjoying naming all the planets and creatures I've discovered. Like Slugspider (Guess what they looked like).
  • Half an hour more until global download opens....
  • Only too about 20-30 minutes to get my ship up and running. Flying is a pain, doesn't handle well at all. Not kidding about space being YUGE! My daughter loved naming all the species we found so much she wants the game now too.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Eh, yeah no storyline, no actual multiplayer, and someone's already figured out a way to reach the center of the universe in about 30 hours. Might be more inclined to give it a shot of there was multiplayer and an actual story.

• It's on my wishlist on steam. 
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • Kresslack said:
    Eh, yeah no storyline, no actual multiplayer, and someone's already figured out a way to reach the center of the universe in about 30 hours. Might be more inclined to give it a shot of there was multiplayer and an actual story.
    Its got 3 storylines. The center of the universe glitch was fixed (Since that wasn't an actual release) You really can't base a game off a leaked unfinished release. It's billed as a single player game not multiplayer.
  • heard the pc port is colossally bad 
  • Everyone plays games for different reasons, looking for different things and getting their kicks in different ways. I didn't come into this expecting it to be multiplayer (with everyone's universe being procedurally generated I couldn't see how it could be) and I didn't expect there to be a storyline! I thought it was going to be a beautiful sandbox of galaxy exploration geared to casual players or those who like to stop and smell the flowers.

I wanted Stellaris without the politics and the ability to actually visit the planets I was flying by. I got it and I only have to deal with other 'people' if I want to. There is also a language learning system so I am god damn sold. It's a game you can put down when you want and come back to it later without having to wrack your brain trying to remember exactly what you had been doing.

Only complaint is one time I saw a little T-Rex thing on the next hill over chasing these bald sheep with short front legs. I went to investigate and turns out the 'little' fella was about 3 times taller than me. Being able to tell the size of things in the distance is sometimes a little hard.

End comment:
    I love it. It's beautiful and relaxed and there is a language learning system. Friendly to us filthy casual players. 9/10. Oh look, new flower. -bzzzzzzzzt-
  • Morthif said:
    heard the pc port is colossally bad 
    No Man's Computer can run it at a steady FPS, it's shit. It's getting terrible reviews because the optimization is absolute garbage.
  • Also major crashing/bug issues with Nvidia cards which... yeah.. inexcusable. I predicted this game would flop anyways so I'm happy.  
  • edited August 2016
    A game where you do nothing but walk around, name things, mine things, and have no interaction with other people, and without a story to keep people engaged.... 0/10 why even bother hyping up such a shitty game?
  • Because it's... uh... it's so big!
  • I mean.. I get that some people enjoy this kind of stuff. But to stick a $60 pricetag on it is beyond insulting, since there's literally 0 actual -content-. If it were like... $5 I could see the appeal
  • I've put in 3 hours according to Steam. Here's my thoughts on it so far.

NOTE NOTE NOTE: After typing all this out, this has turned out to mostly be a rant... So be warned! Wall of text imminent!

tl;dr Game could be so much better than what it is currently. Everything looks great etc but it's plagued with so many faults and (in my eyes) false advertising, etc. I'd give it a miss until it is much cheaper and the developers have had more time to implement things.

Appearance and Performance
    Looks great. My PC was struggling at first, but it seemed to even out after a few graphics changes. I've not experienced any crashes yet. The planet I started out on looked pretty cool, but as I went to a few more planets and traveled a few systems, everything started to look exactly the same. Like, why is there a plant in this system physically the exact same plant as the one a few warp jumps away?

Ground Movement/Control
    Movement seemed sluggish at first when I started out, and thought everything kinda looked cool. I really enjoyed just wandering around identifying/scanning all kinds of stuff. I liked the idea of the mining laser that can also be upgraded to be a boltcaster, that is kinda cool. The ground combat also seems very... lackluster. And what the hell is the deal with the Sentinels? Why do they randomly get mad at me? Why do they keep scanning me? Why are they on every single planet?

I followed a few of the starting 'quests' to get my ship up and running and took it out to space.

Ship Control/Space Flight
    My goodness the flying mechanics are horrid. The ship movement is so sluggish and I often feel like I have zero bearing of where I am sometimes. I feel like the game would really benefit if you could look around your cockpit manually and be able to do stuff like look outside the window to the side, so you can get a bearing of what's nearby instead of just guessing.

I passed too far over a place I wanted to land at and missed landing, so I tried to turn around and land there. Turning took forever and I could barely even tell where the place even was - is my turning circle too big to turn around this fast? Am I directly over the place now? etc etc.

Controlling the ship for other stuff seems terrible as well, apart from just orientation. My speed would sometimes go up or down majorly with seemingly no explanation when flying around in the atmosphere. I like how the game prevents you from being able to crash into the ground and planets and space stations and stuff, but I like that kind of gritty realistic stuff. If I'm dumb enough to fly directly into a space station, I deserve to die.

The trailers seemed to show that there was like a seamless transition from space/orbit, to entering atmosphere, to seeing the ground. However the graphics when you're doing that... leave much to be desired. I could clearly see that the planet was rendered as a big sphere until I got really close, then bam it looked completely different as it decided to render things. It looked way more 'clunky' than it did in the trailer.

When I entered orbit in a system earlier, I randomly had a thing pop up on my HUD that I was getting scanned by hostiles. Then hostiles were coming after me and my 'valuable' cargo. Who are these hostiles? What valuable cargo are they after? At least in Freelancer you'd actually know what was up. You'd get a message from people going 'We want X, give it to us now or die', or you'd get scanned by Police and they'd be all, 'You have contraband, hand it over now'. These guys? Just rock up and start shooting me. I'm kind of okay with that, but would've liked a bit more depth added to it.

Oh, and then the combat started! Sluggish movement galore, difficult to aim and track enemies, etc. And then there's the Shields on your ship. I don't know if there's a hotkey for this, but trying to recover your shields is a huge pain. Forgive me if there's an actual hotkey for this, but man. I had two ships on me and I was blasting away at one and just before I had him down, my shields went out. I kinda went, 'Do they automatically come back? Is there a key I can press to get them back up (a la Freelancer)?' I ended up having to open up the character menu, tab over to the spaceship inventory, left-click on the Shield (once I found the damn thing), then click which mineral I wanted to use to recharge my shields. Then exit back out and get back to shooting. All the while, they're still shooting at me cause the game doesn't pause while you're in that menu. That combat was just so painful.

Overall stuff
    Space exploration. Discover all these planets!

But, uh... There's already alien species on these planets. I've been trading with them. I'm not actually the first person to discover this planet. Who are these alien races? How long have they been here? How am I the one to officially discover all this stuff when there's lots of people already here? There's ships flying over my head every 5-10 minutes while I'm walking around on an undiscovered planet. What's the go? I was expecting contact with most other entities would be pretty rare and that most places wouldn't have anyone. That, to me, really helps ruin immersion (on top of so many other things...). And again, what the hell is with the sentinels?

I was also hoping for some voxel-building type stuff in the game too, but that was never really shared as something that would feature in this I think, and more just a personal hope of mine. I wanted to build a trading post, or a space station, or a pirate outpost, etc. Develop a planet, strip mine it to the core, etc.

The description of the game also seems very disingenuous to me.

I'll quote the descriptions from the store page on Steam. Note: I do only have 3 hours of playtime on this so far, so I may very well be quite wrong on a number of these.

Embark on an epic voyage
    At the centre of the galaxy lies a irresistible pulse which draws you on a journey towards it to learn the true nature of the cosmos. But, facing hostile creatures and fierce pirates, you'll know that death comes at a cost, and survival will be down to the choices you make over how you upgrade your ship, your weapon and suit.
    Yes, it's very much an epic voyage. I've yet to meet any hostile creatures though. Fierce pirates? Two randomly ganked me out of nowhere. I can understand the choices part as there's the whole 'sacrifice cargo space to upgrade your ship' thing. I'd prefer Freelancer's kind of approach for that though.
    Find your own destiny
    Your voyage through No Man's Sky is up to you. Will you be a fighter, preying on the weak and taking their riches, or taking out pirates for their bounties? Power is yours if you upgrade your ship for speed and weaponry. 
    How does one 'prey on the weak and take their riches'? I've seen no way to do this so far. I could try shooting that alien trader in the face, but I doubt that's really...supported. Taking out pirates for bounties? What bounties?
    Or a trader? Find rich resources on forgotten worlds and exploit them for the highest prices. Invest in more cargo space and you'll reap huge rewards.
    This one actually seems to be somewhat legitimate! If I spent all my time in a system, I could harvest every single scrap of valuable mineral and go sell it. When I go to trade with aliens, it mentions a 'galactic standard' or somesuch in regards to the price (i.e. am I making a profit selling here, or should I sell elsewhere?). There's no indication on how the market works (if at all). I just sell everything to the first person I find cause screw trying to find somewhere that offers a slightly better price.
    Or perhaps an explorer? Go beyond the known frontier and discover places and things that no one has ever seen before. Upgrade your engines to jump ever farther, and strengthen your suit for survival in toxic environments that would kill the unwary.
    What is the 'known frontier'? That's never specified. And 'discover places and things that no one has ever seen before'? Sure, that's valid if you're talking about players. But in-game? No, there's aliens in about every system and on most planets, with outposts, space stations, etc. Ships flying past every now and again for who knows what reason.
    Share your journey
    The galaxy is a living, breathing place. Trade convoys travel between stars, factions vie for territory, pirates hunt the unwary, and the police are ever watching. Every other player lives in the same galaxy, and you can choose to share your discoveries with them on a map that spans known space. Perhaps you will see the results of their actions as well as your own...
    It states that it is a living, breathing place. But I've seen zero evidence of this so far. It's only been out for like a day, sure, but you'd think there'd be more fleshed out in it.

Factions vie for territory? What factions? What territory? Why?
    Pirates hunt the unwary? What pirates? Where? Why? Can I hunt them? Can I join them?
    Police are ever watching? You mean those Sentinels? That are on every single planet? If that's the case, the Police have already discovered absolutely every planet in the entire universe (at a guess). Therefore I'm not discovering anything new and wondrous, that 'no one has seen before'. If it doesn't mean the Sentinels...what police?

And sure, every player lives in the same galaxy... but would it be asking too much that we could, y'know, play with each other? I know the game is flagged as a Single Player game, but I feel like the game would be that much more enjoyable with friends that are actually there in the game with you, instead of just happening to maybe be in the same system, even though you can't see them.

If what you want to do is fly around casually and explore places with relaxing music, this is good. If you're after a realistic first-person space-exploration sci-fi game - this isn't it. I'd argue I get more fulfillment from playing Space Engineers (and with friends, too!). And especially get more from loading up a Windows XP virtual machine, running a dedicated Freelancer server on it, and playing that with a few friends.
  • I run everything at max and it looks pretty decent. No glitches or problems. I also have a stupidly high end system.

I play it like Tahquil. VERY easy to pick up and put down which I like in a game. I've been focused on locating the artifact on each planet to learn the language then the major settlements to get new gear. Checked out a few other spaceships on the space station.

Reminds me of early minecraft with no real goals other than survive and get better equipped.

I do think the game has great mod potential if that were an option.
    Zulah said:
    Kresslack said:
    Its got 3 storylines. The center of the universe glitch was fixed (Since that wasn't an actual release) You really can't base a game off a leaked unfinished release. It's billed as a single player game not multiplayer.
    I wouldn't call them storylines so much as end game objectives, though apparently the one they added with the first patch put in the third one with some semblance of narrative.

The center of the universe thing I was referring to wasn't a glitch, it was just one person stumbling onto a rare resource and mining the crap out of it to upgrade his ship a lot.

And sure you can judge a game based on it's beta versions. Look at ARK. And while it may be billed as a single player game, that strikes me as boring when it comes to an open world exploration game of this scale.

• edited August 2016
    Zulah said:
    I run everything at max and it looks pretty decent. No glitches or problems. I also have a stupidly high end system.

Yeah I saw your setup on another thread and I gotta say not many people are gonna have what you have.  For the normal people still running 900 series GPU's there's gonna be huge issues, which has been documented by Steam reviews.  
  • edited August 2016
    My computer is no gold star standard but I haven't had an issue with sluggish controls. I had the opposite issue were everything was to sensitive. Dialling down mouse sensitivity fixed it for me so may be dial it up?

I know back in March the minimum requirements were well below fallout 4. So if you can run that you shouldn't have issues here.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Tahquil said:
    My computer is no gold star standard but I haven't had an issue with sluggish controls. I had the opposite issue were everything was to sensitive. Dialling down mouse sensitivity fixed it for me so may be dial it up?

I know back in March the minimum requirements were well below fallout 4. So if you can run that you shouldn't have issues here.
    "Minimum Requirements" and "Minimum not-look-like-ass requirements" aren't always the same, especially in a game like this where visual impact is almost everything.
    Huh. Neat.
  • What I meant, though did not directly say. was that if you could run Fallout 4 fine then you shouldn't be having issues with No Man's Sky.

(Fallout 4 being the last thing I got this excited and hyped up about).
  • Bought a new ship. Not as sluggish as the last one, but cost me almost all my units. :anguished: 

Decided I should put some more time into it, just in case it improves. Determined that one planet I 'discovered' (lol) was a High Security Planet. Had sentinels everywhere, basically, and they did not like me grabbing some graviton orbs or whatever that were all over the place. Constantly attacking me if they'd scan one in my inventory (it'd be nice if it, y'know, said 'HEY YOU HAVE A GRAVITON THING. DIE'). Discovered elite sentinels, too. When I took to orbit to escape when my shield was gone (and I couldn't do a thing about it? why can't I recharge them like my ship shields?) I also discovered that there are SENTINEL FIGHTERS AND THEY GON COME KEEL ME. I warped to the next system, cause screw that. :anguished: 
  • edited August 2016
    I finally visited my fourth planet. :3
    I also discovered it's easier to blow up asteriods for commodities than find them on the ground.
  • I played for about 5 hours after deciding to put it away for now. There's quite some awesome aspects to the game, but in the end it left me feeling scammed out of €59,-.  The lack of story, the inability to see my own character (WHO AM I?!) and the repetitive tasks got me bored quite quick.

What makes me most sad is that this game had so much potential to be awesome. The indy vibe made me trust the developers. But in the end its just a moneygrab. Fooled by the games industry again!! :'(
  • I was going to buy a new ship but then I found a ship graveyard on a planet and ended up fixing one of them up. Took awhile but was worth it. Ended up with a ship that would have cost over 2mill units without having to pay.
  • Note to self: find a ship graveyard.
    "Oh, this old thing?"