Midwest meet

Comments

• We don't get it, either. The first time I heard midwest was from a southerner. Said it had to do with accents. Wtf? Ohio sounds like southern garble to me. 
  • edited July 2016
    How about "States bordering southern 2/3rds of Lake Erie and maaaybe Lake Michigan if you are so up to the drive".
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • I will be in Ohio for the weekend of September 17th with no real plans, staying with Tyamat. I'd like to meet up with some Achaeans if there are any around.
  • It's getting close to Ren Faire and hotel booking time for the 27th weekend!

Does anyone have plans to stay in a specific hotel? Let us know!
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    I was just thinking about this. Getting up there is no problem, I'd have Thursday/Friday to make that trip; but I have a nuclear power seminar the following Monday that I can't miss, so the 11hr drive back on Sunday that is my largest concern, given the possibility of being hungover/sleep deprived from the night before. I'll look into airfare, but that's probably going to push things a little out of budget for a flight of fancy, and would only work if someone could pick me up from what would likely be Columbus or Detroit, anyhow.

Best case, I can find a roadie to help drive in shifts and cut costs. Worst case, I might have to be responsible and pass this time around.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • I'm probably driving up on the Friday evening and then back Saturday night, will have to go through Columbus and should have enough room in the car if anyone needs picked up.
  • AmanuAmanu Forge Tree
    Anyone in or around near Iowa?

• Who all is planning on attending?  Anyone book a hotel yet?  @Tecton, is it safe to say that Valton will be in attendance?!?  If no one has booked a hotel yet, I'd recommend Hartland or Brighton.  That's within 35 minutes of Holly and plenty of food options, as well as local establishments. 

• Michigan Renaissance Festival - 27 August in Holly, Michigan

Anyone have any suggestions for Friday evening or Sunday?

• oh and looking at where the renfest actually is, Auburn Hills would be an easy commute too.
  • I'm driving up on Friday evening, staying about 6 miles north up 75 (towards Grand Blanc) from the Renaissance Festival grounds, will have to head home Saturday night after the Festival though.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    @Czanthria - barring any major issues, yep!
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    :( my peeps dont have any hotels closer than uh... pontiac... grand blanc? and uh... Flint...

• @Nicola what do you think about meeting near your hotel for breakfast or an early lunch on Saturday for all of us to link up?  Not sure what time everyone wants to meet, I'm a morning person, so makes no diff to me.
  • Breakfast sounds good! I don't know what time we'll be getting in on the Friday evening, so might be able to meet up and do dinner if it's not too late. I'll know more this time next week.
  • Nicola said:
    Breakfast sounds good! I don't know what time we'll be getting in on the Friday evening, so might be able to meet up and do dinner if it's not too late. I'll know more this time next week.

Sounds good, dinner Friday evening.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Dinner Friday could be a thing. Lachlan and I want to get to the fair when it opens though, so depending on the time of the early lunch, it may not be a thing for us. I will leave my number here at some point though so y'all can text me to meet up there.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    Goddamnit....I'll be there spiritually... Also at work :( but it'll also be 75 degrees...

• I'd like to get to the fair early-ish too, so meeting for breakfast sounds good and then can all head on after.
  • I've yet to see opening ceremonies and I really want to try this time! We were very close last year but were thwarted by traffic. It's pretty terrible once you get close.

We'll probably be staying up near Grand Blanc Friday night as well!
  • I grabbed a fistful of coupons from Subway this morning.  They are "buy one get one 3 bucks off" for adult tickets, or in the case of children, buy one get one free.  If we all meet up before it starts, I'll pass em out.

I have undressed a god.

• Oh, hmm. Were people planning on paying when we get there? I don't know how much it costs, but there's a good number of ways to get tickets for less than full price. For those of you in Michigan (maybe Ohio?), you can probably get 20$ tickets at Walgreens. There's likely still ways to get a few bucks off online, too. 
    Much faster to get in via pre-purchase, too.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Im glad you brought thst up, Lachlan.  I had nooooo idea!

I have undressed a god.

• Bah, I'd come and join the fun but I have conflicting plans with helping family move the day prior and will be very much dead the following day. Maybe next year.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    I'm unfortunately going to have to bail. I ended up with a Friday course this semester that I wasn't expecting, which I'd have to skip to make the trip, and I just discovered that some friends from out of town will be passing through on that same weekend.

Sounded fun, but I'll have to make the next one, instead.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • I return to Michigan on Friday.  I'll have to check out wal-greens. 

• This thread needs:

1)  Attendee roll call
    2)  Times/places for events (dinner friday, breakfast saturday, ren faire saturday)
    3)  Someone to come up with a third item, because two item numbered lists just look wrong to me

• Here: http://doodle.com/poll/qav2dbbmrafzn7sc

I put vague times for when dinner, breakfast, and ren faire will probably be. Put your name down, check boxes, and such.
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
    Holly, not Holland.