Ark: Survival Evolved

Comments

• cool new map, i've not tried the centre map out yet. Although the server went down just as I was running away from a lvl 70 scorpion at lv 5, bahaha
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    @Kresslack I probably will at some point soon. I haven't been playing both servers lately because of overtime at work.

Tbh, I'm underwhelmed because there were a few things that were bugged out on me. The knife, for example, would not let me actually use it. I could craft it, but it did nothing. I understand that p+ is still in beta, though so I will hold of on any real judgement until later. 
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
    edited July 2016
    What I wish someone would come up with is a way to designate specific areas as pvp rather than an ugly (broken) shield mod that protects against raids. It would be cool to make volcano island pvp because of the good number of resources there.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Well as a server we can designate certain areas and, if they're not already separated such as an island, cordon them off. I think the volcano island would be a good PvP designated area as well. I'm also thinking the Floating Island but think maybe I want to build a community center up there for people to visit and a hall which can store trophies and the like.

I logged in for a bit this morning and remembered that I was going to ask what was up with the huge load times between vanilla and p+? I go from ~60s load time to almost 10 minutes.
    It's mixed opinion online right now. Some are saying it's carried over from when it was a mod and others are saying it's a ram issue where if you don't have at least 8gb ram available it's essentially rewriting and loading it multiple times. I've noticed the load time as well, which is annoying considering how great the content is. I'm still searching for an official word but hopefully it's something they address soon.

If people prefer, we can go back to Vanilla, maybe limited modded on the Center, but once Primitive + does get loaded in it runs fine from what I've seen. To be honest, the content seems worth the wait, and may be something they address soon now that's it's official DLC.

Nah,  the load time doesn't really bother me, it's just a really jarring contrast between the two
  • I have incredible loading times but I'm enjoying the content right now and still so much to explore. I've -just- tamed my doedicurus and giant beaver so now I can finally build my main base. So not a fan of a wipe.  I'm ok to wait tho of course would love the load in time to be faster
    A lot of people seem to have left the server either because of the load time or lack of things like the electrical items. Neither of those things bother me, and seems to be at least a few people still who seem interested in playing on the server, so I'll keep it up.

• Its $15.99 on steam right now, so I'm picking it up and would enjoy playing on the server. 
    I don't mind the lack of electrical items, just the lack of the forever light source (hint hint)
    There's no longer a password for the server so anyone can join. Also, I'll toggle that on.

• What Jacen said. On sale on steam, so I picked it up

edited August 2016
    Here's the address again for anyone interested in joining: 158.69.52.94:27465

Named ARKiTech. You'll need to get The Center and Primitive + DLC.

edited August 2016
    I run a modded non primitive+ server, too (I recommend p+ though)  for people that want to try it out there. Just send Tyamat or me a message for info.

Eta: my friend just passed this week, so I will be away this weekend. Tyamat knows how to get ahold of me if the server breaks or something, I can try to fix it from my phone.
  • Jonathin said:
    I run a modded non primitive+ server, too (I recommend p+ though)  for people that want to try it out there. Just send Tyamat or me a message for info.

Eta: my friend just passed this week, so I will be away this weekend. Tyamat knows how to get ahold of me if the server breaks or something, I can try to fix it from my phone.
    Sorry for your loss. My new ISP monitors torrent downloads and sent a nasty email to Marina, so my game playing time will probably increase as a result.

Server support and I managed to figure out what was going on with my server, so there may be some downtime today at some point so that I can get everything fixed. Rest assured that it will be back up and running while I'm away
  • So I've been playing mostly single player, but would like to get into a server with a decent population to play with. That said, I tried to get into Kresslack's server a few times, but every time I tried to directly connect to the server from outside the game, it would launch in non-primitive, then restart into primitive and then not look for the server I wanted it to connect to anymore. Is there a way to just default tell the game to launch into Primitive+? Additionally, whats the server population like there? Few times I've looked, its been empty!

If that server isn't overly populated, what other servers are people playing on that do have some population right now?

With Primitive + I think a lot of people don't want to play it right now bc there are a lot of bugs, the load time, and you can't use mods with it. I've been considering taking it out and just dropping in some limited mods to improve experience such as Structures Plus and some other things, but I'm not really sure. Primitive plus has a lot of potential and there are already a lot of fixes slated for the next update, so taking it out now just to potentially put it back in later would result in a couple of wipes which, at this point get tiresome.

That being said, I do have a line on a public server that just came up that is on the Center using some various improvement mods that are really nifty, and is also a type of RP server. Waiting on a message with the server info but will share the details here when I get it.

• Enjoying P+ and Kresslack's server. This game has eaten my soul.
  • I just bought it, what's the server name?
    Kresslack said:
    Here's the address again for anyone interested in joining: 158.69.52.94:27465

Named ARKiTech. You'll need to get The Center and Primitive + DLC.
    Here's the server info again. I guess I'll keep it P+ since people are actually enjoying it. Like I said, a lot of the bugs are already slated for fix with the next update.

The site I made for my server is arkitech.boards.net

• I'm coordinating with the wiki team to get Primitive+ documented on the gamepedia wiki. Useful highlights are https://ark.gamepedia.com/Engrams_(Primitive%2B) and https://ark.gamepedia.com/Preserving_Campfire_(Primitive%2B)
    There's an important new poll up regarding a potential change from Primitive + back to a modded environment considering the number of bugs with the new DLC.

Read this thread and review the recommended mods before voting: http://arkitech.boards.net/thread/18/switching-primitive

So I'd really like to set up a light-rp server that has an actual community element. I'd like to see tribes working together and even competing with each other for what will be called Accolades and tribe influence (which will have it's own perks and rewards system). Villages, trading, claiming territories, exploration, skirmishes, community builds. These are things that would be great and that I've had a hard time finding on other servers.

With the way the poll is looking, seems as if most people are interested in leaving Primitive + and going to modded on The Center. That being the case, this may be something that happens as early as this week. Perhaps even tonight if I've the energy to muster the transition.

I'm working out the base details as far as server rules and expectations as well as the backstory and other elements such as events, rewards, etc. If anyone has ideas or wishes to help out in any way, let me know. For now, here's the backstory I've written and an intro that may peak some interest:

The human species has come a long way since the Arkitechs bestowed upon them the gifts of knowledge and fire. Wisdom was a gift they withheld, for they wanted to see what potential could evolve from this particular combination of forces. Thus, humankind's penchant for creativity and creation ever battled with it's inclination towards and ability for destruction.

As the years progressed, they were less than pleased with the results of their experiment, and resolved to begin anew. They would design and build a vast landscape, rendered to existence with technology beyond the comprehension of even some of the most ancient of races. It is here that select specimens would be relocated for evaluation, and it is here they would be tested in ways they never knew imaginable.

Those who failed to adapt and evolve, past the point of mere survival, would be forgotten. For the few, capable of not only adapting and surviving this harsh new world, but able to actually thrive....they would be the future of the human race. The new beginning of a legacy that would come to be called...

...LandmARK.

Survival isn't enough.

Chapter 1: The Arrival

He woke up on a beach, face down in the gritty sand as waves broke against the shore, sending water lapping at his feet. Cracking open his eyes, the sun drove lances of painful light into them, forcing them closed once more. After a few more tries he was able to start making out his surroundings and, groaning with the effort, slowly pushed himself up to take a tentative look around.

He was hungry. He was thirsty. He had a million questions and no answers. Where were his clothes? How did he get here? Where -was- here? No answers came to his silent inquiries. As he surveyed the beach, littered with broken branches and strewn with pebbles, he found himself reaching to scratch his forearm; it itches something fierce. Looking down, he was taken aback to see a piece of diamond-shaped metal with a dimly glowing light deep into the skin! Frantically reaching to dig it out, his fingers brushed the edges and a wave of crippling pain send him sprawling into the sand once more.

After a few more moments he sat up again, grunting with the effort. Deciding against trying to remove the strange device in his arm, he took and opportunity to really survey his surroundings. It would appear he had been stranded on some remote island, but all hope was not lost. He'd watched enough survival shows to know that there were hundreds of shipping lanes which went through all parts of the tropics and right by islands.

Resolving to be rescued as soon as possible, he hauled himself to his feet and brushed the sand off before setting out along the beach to collect driftwood and some rocks. If he was going to be rescued, he'd need a fire....a big one, and also something to eat and drink.

Little did he know this was merely the beginning of a long and arduous adventure, one that would either make....or break him.

FYI server will be unavailable for tonight while we're making the necessary changes. I'll post here when it's ready to go and all the mods have been tested for compatibility.

• I'd be up for this once its up and running

arkitech.boards.net is where updates can be found and applications submitted. Looking to have it ready by the end of the week.

This is open and ready to go btw. Drop my arkitech.boards.net and put in an application and once approved I'll send you the password. Will only be pw protected for this week.

• Ark makes me want to sock babies in the mouth.