Recommended amount of playing time?

Hi, I been playing for a bit, but due to my busy life. I only get a couple of hours of playing time a week. I wonder what is a good amount in order to advance. I know some MUDS require alot of commitment, but I really do like it here, and even with a few hours of spare time; I still want to be part of it. I don't want to play too little and get nothing done.

Comments

• It really depends on what you want to get done. Heavy PK involvement, in-depth RP, and (rapid/smooth) org progression generally require a more hefty time investment due to a deeper commitment to learning and interaction with other players who can sometimes be difficult cats to herd. With that said, you can leverage the hell out being active at the 'right time' for those few hours you can commit so it pays great dividends to find the right herd of cats to play with. You'll definitely get a lot more life out of the game if you are available around the same time as others who are within your circles of things-to-get-done, but that's true even for people who devote insane hours to the game.

In any case, keep at it! It's a fun place to be. :3
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Last year I played about 1-2 hours a day as a novice and got to about house rank 5  in 2-3 weeks. It depends on a lot of things though, like how well your hours match up with other peoples, and what kind of things you enjoy doing vs. what is expected of you :)

I would just say to try and see what happens. If one place is too tedious then skip to another, until you find a city with whos people you align with, time wise and doing things wise.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Are you generally a pretty patient person? Are you fine if some goals in the game take you multiple years (real ones, not game years) to achieve? Will you be content with progressing at your own pace while your peers speed ahead of you? If so there shouldn't be any problems, you can do just fine with a few hours a week.

Even if you aren't that patient, it could still work out, depending on what parts of the game you enjoy and how well you can make use of the limited time you have. As long as you aren't extremely competitive and wanting to advance more quickly than others who have more time to spare.
  • edited July 2016
    Archaon is basically correct. You're going to need a Montana-militia-style bunker, a lifetime supply of nutritious food that will not spoil even after the nuclear apocalypse, and a high-speed internet connection. And an large supply of pencil crayons. You get up at 7:30 AM and can go to sleep no earlier than 3:30 AM. The rest of the time, for the rest of your life, you're a slave to IRE, and if you're caught slacking off on Achaea, BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN.

You have been warned. War is peace. Slavery is freedom.
  • Ignorance is strength
  • Depends on your time zone too. I've been playing for 13 years. I've missed the Balmet and conclave events in their entirety, have had zero participation in this undead thing (didn't even know it was a thing). Only ever been in one CTF and one Great Hunt, amassed a total of 1 point -ever- in year X games and never been on a ship because my play time doesn't allow for 2 hours of monotonous sailing so haven't visited a host of islands. Didn't get to see a wandering bazaar until a few months ago. My alt is 350yrs old and only level 83 with no honors lines. It took me RL years to bash to Dragon (95-99 was 2yrs alone hunting everytime I logged in). While others maybe tongue in cheek, if you want to so anything in this game to any level you need to put your RL life on the line.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • I think it really depends on you and what you have going on personally. This is a game and like most games it should be something that you receive enjoyment fun. I don't think there should be a specific recommendation of how much playing time someone has in general. If someone decided to strive for leadership, or other roles that required a more active play time then it would likely be more specific. 

If you're just looking to advance in general through like the requirements in general for Houses then you should be okay with getting things done enough with coming around a few hours per week. It is possible to do that. 

• Like all games, some things, like if you take to grinding, or want to get really good at pvp, can take a lot of time. But there's a lot that you can do pretty casually, and stuff that you can make progress in without an intensive time commitment.

The most important thing is to be social and active when you can be about. If you do that, then I don't think you'd really have much trouble.
  • Peak hours are roughly 8-12 EST ...3am-7am EST is the most dead...at least it seems that way for Hashan.  Different cities seem to have different time demographics though so you can try it all out.  Usually.. if you have like 4 hours a week to achaea, it's better to spend a day playing 4 hours straight rather than spread it out. If you can get any of that to overlap with peak hours, you are golden.  If you can't it's still ok.  I find playing the most fun thing about this game to not really be the events or whatever but the people I hang out with.  Usually you can find cool people to do stuff with at any hour.  
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • edited July 2016
    Quisse said:
    If you end up hooked, which most everyone here has been, not only will you find that you spend more time in Achaea than you intended, you will also NEVER ACTUALLY LEAVE. Ever. Like you'll think you have quit, but you haven't. You'll be back. Because we're all back. Eternally. Because Achaea is the Hotel California of MUDS.
    Like the mafia. Once you're in, you're not allowed to leave.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• edited July 2016
    Quisse said:
    If you end up hooked, which most everyone here has been, not only will you find that you spend more time in Achaea than you intended, you will also NEVER ACTUALLY LEAVE. Ever. Like you'll think you have quit, but you haven't. You'll be back. Because we're all back. Eternally. Because Achaea is the Hotel California of MUDS.
    I made it 18 months once. but when I came back I fell so hard back into it that I purchased credits within a few days plus reactivated Iron Elite

Sobriquet said:
    No word of a lie. Achaea was mentioned in my divorce.
    I believe it. 
  • Sobriquet said:
    Guarantee it'll get mentioned in mine too.

*touch wood*
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• I don't really have time to play any more, but I'm still keeping up with the news and reading the forums, and I recently reactivated my Iron Elite so that I'll have some built up when I return (even if it takes another year or so, I know I'll be back eventually).
  • MaraxMarax The Scriptorium
    Xaden said:
    Sobriquet said:

*touch wood*
    Are you sure it's not gonna be because you're touching strange wood? ;)
    (<clan>): Kuy says, "Gurl, I could talk myself outta Alkatraz."
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Sobriquet said:
    There is an interesting story here, I hope..
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    I try to cap it at an active hour a day.  A lot of times you are just AFK doing something else on the internet and periodically check to see of anything is going on.
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    Morthif said:
    Quisse said:
    I made it 18 months once. but when I came back I fell so hard back into it that I purchased credits within a few days plus reactivated Iron Elite

Sobriquet said:
    I believe it. 
    I was gone for a while... And purchased iron elite and a shit ton of other stuff within three months

• Xaden said:
    Sobriquet said:

*touch wood*
    You have no wood.
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    Anedhel said:
    Xaden said:
    Sobriquet said:

*touch wood*
    You have no wood.
    You reach down and touch a twig of slightly below average size

• Morthif said:
    Quisse said:

Sobriquet said:
    I believe it. 
    @Morthif : I am trying to resist the artefact cart and its armor. It's hard.
  • Honestly, as short as you are on playing time, try both Aetolia and Imperian probably, preferably during like, 4-8 PM PST.  MKO to a point, but it's so tiny, and their flee mechanism for bashing is :(   Lusternia bashing seems... harder than it needs to be.  

Ultimately, all of the games are huge time sucks if you want to actually get decent at say, combat.  

But grinding out your levels will be way, way easier, and generally speaking, so will promotion type stuff if that is important to you, although you'll want to make sure you get into orgs that are active enough.      
  • If you're limited on time, unless your only interest is bashing, starting over on smaller games seems like a terrible decision.
  • edited July 2016
    A lot of it will depend on where your playtime falls.  If you are pretty seriously off-peak (late night US), the other games definitely experience off-peak more dramatically and it might not work for you.
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Whenever my time was limited, I'd log in with specific goals in mind so I felt accomplished at the end of it. Of course, that needed to be open to unexpected interactions or events. But limited time shouldn't limit you.
  • Total Time Played: 900 days, 8 hours and 45 minutes                         
    Time This Week   : 2 days, 13 hours and 52 minutes                          

• 21608 hours and 45 minutes, @Deladan. You're a monster. 

And before all you people come out of the woodworks with even more time than him, just know you're all monsters too.
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • @Mycen has the most I've seen iirc.