THIS, is why earrings need to be downgraded. A supposed "Duel"

Comments

• To be honest I only try 1 v 1 because it's the only thing that has been able to get my attention recently. Mhaldorian RP can get a bit stale, particularly if you've distanced yourself somewhat from any big cliques. (also 1 v 1 is the Mhaldorian thing to do)

The only reason I hate earrings (and deliver and all that other stuff) is it makes players immune to most PvP based deaths if they want to hit the button early enough. There isn't much incentive to go 1 v 1 in Achaea anymore because it virtually requires your opponent's permission. It's just not feasible to keep afflictions going when someone is moving on a momentum based class like serpent, and no one else is really better off if the person in question runs all the way back to their city. My problem isn't so much with earrings as it is with how hard it is to kill someone who is doing nothing but spam a direction/escape mechanism.

Prepping an area with icewalls help somewhat (and requires some time + foresight) but all these travel abilities negate that. If I want to kill someone who isn't expecting it (<3 Kyrra) trying to do it myself is nearly pointless, and bringing half my House is about an interesting as having an 'I win' button. A hilarious novelty at first, but it takes the fun out of victory eventually.
  • 1v1 isn't the same and shouldn't be the same as jumping a single person by themselves. If you're jumping someone it makes sense that they'd try to escape (at least momentarily to gather themselves) considering they weren't likely expecting a fight.

It's more or less always been that if someone doesn't want to stay for a fight they'll run off, with or without earrings, regardless of class. If anything momentum based classes usually have the advantage with quick jumps since their offense usually hinders more than a class that requires prep.

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    That's not really true. It's entirely doable. Daeir nearly killed me one time while I was forging in Thera. Santar's gotten me once or twice. If you'd kept me down with delph I'd have died but you went for the behead. I spam raido just as hard.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• That is true. I admit I'm particularly frustrated that despite the steep learning curve on serpent the only application for those skills seems to be duels (which can be declined).

Antidas has more kills than me using an artie bow, this will not stand.
  • Add a 3-4 second delay to using earrings, with a room message that lets someone you're fighting know you're trying to escape and try to stop you. Any significant action makes it fail. Puts it on par with tumble or shipreturn (though not the crazy long timer as shipreturn). Still makes it viable in combat, still can be used as a group transport method, still fulfills its original purpose. Can't be used for the kind of cheap escapes that Cain is complaining about in the OP, despite the OP not being an example of one.
  • edited December 2012
    Why would I pay $255 USD for tumble or shipreturn?

Party right, party hard,

• AkiaAkia phoenix, az
    I've said this before and I'll echo it again.  Earrings are only OP if you can't afford them.  That's hardly our fault we value living, everyone else should just invest in that concept.

• You wouldn't, and you're missing my point. The complaint is that Earrings can be used for extremely cheap and hard-to-prevent escapes. Adding a short timer would make it slightly less lame while not destroying its utility. The vast majority of uses Earrings are put to would remain entirely unaffected.
  • Yeah earrings are good. Yeah earrings are arguably disproportionally good considering their cost, even if they are quite expensive. But I think it's rather unfair to be making assumptions about their 'original purpose'. It's also pretty clear at this point that the trend of nerfing all good things leads to a stagnant gaming experience. Things should be buffed across the board to promote conflict and add complexity to the game. If you have a problem with earrings, why not suggest a change to offense that nullifies them to some degree? Yeah it's more work, but it's more interesting, and adds complexity to the game.

Party right, party hard,

• AkiaAkia phoenix, az
    It all boils down to one simple yet elegant solution that all you river-makers should just adopt:

Because let's face it, Tanris is the real reason for all the tears, you can't beat him, you want to be him, but you never will.  Just kill the Tanris, and all your problems go away.  If you can't do that, learn to fight and GTFO the forums.

• Achaea needs warp disruptors.
  • @Akia: I can't wrap my mind about your point that earrings are only OP if you can't afford them. I'll assume you actually mean that they're only OP for people who don't have them. This line of reasoning is kind of inherently flawed, though! You can apply it to nearly anything ever!

• Ten true favours is only OP if you don't have that many.
    • Demigod was only OP for people who didn't have it.
    • Being Sarapis is only OP if you're not Sarapis.

I could go on. If I knew combat mechanics, I could even include things that are legitimately OP, but I'm still new at this stuff, and barely know any classes that aren't my own. As a Blademaster, I hear an awful lot of complaints about voidfist and evade. Obviously, they're only OP to people who don't have them, though!

I'm not saying earrings definitely are OP, because I don't know enough about combat to argue that one way or another. It's just a little silly to hear someone who has an ability to say it's not OP without giving any particularly strong arguments about why it's not OP. (you did say that thing about starburst tattoos a while ago, but god, that was like forever ago D: )

• BM doing fitness and alleviate is OP vs serpents. :(
  • AkiaAkia phoenix, az
    Nim said:

@Akia: I can't wrap my mind about your point that earrings are only OP if you can't afford them. I'll assume you actually mean that they're only OP for people who don't have them. This line of reasoning is kind of inherently flawed, though! You can apply it to nearly anything ever!

I could go on. If I knew combat mechanics, I could even include things that are legitimately OP, but I'm still new at this stuff, and barely know any classes that aren't my own. As a Blademaster, I hear an awful lot of complaints about voidfist and evade. Obviously, they're only OP to people who don't have them, though!

I'm not saying earrings definitely are OP, because I don't know enough about combat to argue that one way or another. It's just a little silly to hear someone who has an ability to say it's not OP without giving any particularly strong arguments about why it's not OP. (you did say that thing about starburst tattoos a while ago, but god, that was like forever ago D: )

It's pretty simple, the whole point WAS flawed logic, as soon as you can afford earrings they're not OP anymore, because you now have them and don't give a s--t if they're op or not, why would you want to nerf your own crap?  Nobody disagrees that earrings are crazy good, OP even!  I just don't want to hear it from people that can't afford the luxuries we've paid 800c for, and people that have paid 800c have no room to talk anymore.  So basically stfunoobs.

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Akia said:
    Nim said:

@Akia: I can't wrap my mind about your point that earrings are only OP if you can't afford them. I'll assume you actually mean that they're only OP for people who don't have them. This line of reasoning is kind of inherently flawed, though! You can apply it to nearly anything ever!

It's pretty simple, the whole point WAS flawed logic, as soon as you can afford earrings they're not OP anymore, because you now have them and don't give a s--t if they're op or not, why would you want to nerf your own crap?  Nobody disagrees that earrings are crazy good, OP even!  I just don't want to hear it from people that can't afford the luxuries we've paid 800c for, and people that have paid 800c have no room to talk anymore.  So basically stfunoobs.
    I have 3, I'm ok with nerfing them.
  • AkiaAkia phoenix, az
    edited December 2012
    Well, that's because you're dumb.

• @Tvistor: I'm like 99% sure Blademasters exist solely to troll Serpents.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Akia said:
    Well, that's because you're dumb.
    And you are a ugly troll.  Will you ever actually provide any valuable feedback on forums?  
  • AkiaAkia phoenix, az
    edited December 2012
    I just told you how to solve all your problems with earrings, what more do you want.   Just kill Tanris.

Edit: for ease of viewing.

• edited December 2012
    @Akia

Edit: Actually, I'm revising this to be blanket. If earrings are going to be changed, I doubt yet another forum thread about them is going to be what tips the balance.

• AkiaAkia phoenix, az

Mishgul said:
    Just stop playing Achaea until Ashtan goes dormant if you don't like losing. Simple.

Also 800 cr is nothing, i throw that much money to the pigeons, because money can't buy love but it can buy pigeons.
    Or you could just like...make an effort to stop sucking, and win.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Stop being so racist

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • AkiaAkia phoenix, az

(you won't)

• Someone ban Akia for being racist and avianist.
  • AkiaAkia phoenix, az
    Avianist?  Avianist? What is avianist precious?

• I'm not sure.

a·vi·an  

/ˈāvēən/
    Adjective
    Of or relating to birds.
    Noun
    A bird.

I figured if you discriminated against pigeons you would be an avianist.
  • edited December 2012
    @Akia

Edit: sorry its so big, dont know how to make it smaller :(

• Voidfist and Stonefist are OP too. Ill consider letting them get rid of stonefist, if they remove voidfist.