RL Questions Thread

12346»

Comments

• You can try soaking it in water, but since the meat is already salty (and it's chicken and not like, fish or red meat) I'm assuming it's pre-cooked, in which case soaking in water would probably ruin it.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    edited July 2016
    Boiling/poaching will remove the most salt.
  • Lemon juice or a drizzle of vinegar will help cut through the saltiness as well.

• It's Costco's roast chicken, which always makes me feel like I inhaled a can of slug juice after eating it :anguished:

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • edited July 2016
    Solution: buy better chicken.

Get a box of chicken breasts for your freezer. Bake 2-4 at a time at 400 for an hour with a bit of salt and pepper on them. Or shake and bake. Or cut them up and shake and bake them (chicken fingers!)

Make chicken salad out of them.

Make a hot chicken sandwich.

make a stir fry.

make chicken fettuccine Alfredo.

endless options!

Buy the uncooked so you can control the salt. Rotisserie chicken from anywhere is bound to be on the salty side since it's meant to be ready-to-serve
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    edited July 2016
    It's Costco's roast chicken, which always makes me feel like I inhaled a can of slug juice after eating it :anguished:
    Here's a trick for taking advantage of overly seasoned meat:

Make rice porridge with it. Shred up the chicken and toss the bones in a pot of water to boil up some stock, add in rice and cook till preferred degree of tenderness (ranking is chazuke to pasty congee) When it's almost done, throw in the shredded meat and boil it a bit more till the meat is heated through. You can also optionally crack an egg in to give it some extra creaminess. Garnish with chicken skin and spring onions.

Without adding any seasoning, the rice and stuff will leach out all the saltiness to a more tolerable flavour. 

• edited July 2016
    You can also use it in stuff like stir fries and hash and whatnot, just cut it up and brown it in a pan (for the love of everything don't add any more salt), and then toss it in with veggies and other stuff. If you avoid salting everything else, in the last phase where you put a lid on your sautee pan to make sure everything's cooked through, the saltiness'll kinda spread so the bites of chicken aren't too bad, and you probably won't suffer when you take a bite that contains other stuff!

ETA: Works in soups, too, just avoid salting the stock too much if you're using chicken that's salty to begin with!
  • Kalithea said:
    endless options!
    I like to slice the chicken breast and score it. Then marinade in chilli, lime juice, ground allspices, a bit of various other herbs and spices, and some garlic. Cook it up on a grill, and it's quite delicious.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Anyone have any idea what kind of tree this is?
    Those are definitely fig leaves
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    Google agrees those are unripe figs

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • My roommate has a mini version of that tree. Fig trees are awesome.
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • I love cooking,  if anyone's interested I can start posting my trusted recipies here.  They're usually relatively cheap and can feed my family of four for three meals on about 30 bucks.  Or make another thread about it.
  • Honestly, I'd love to have tofu recipes that aren't going to make me gag. I grew up loving ribs and such and now I literally cannot eat them without feeling or getting sick and I want to do more than just fried tofu since that seems to be the only thing that can work with the "diet" I'm on (I use diet loosely since... I can't do spicy foods, I don't like onions or mushrooms, and I don't want tofu to just replace meat like some tofu recipes do. Gotta enhance the dish, not just mush into it.)
    meh

• Impossibru
  • Trilliana said:
    Honestly, I'd love to have tofu recipes that aren't going to make me gag. I grew up loving ribs and such and now I literally cannot eat them without feeling or getting sick and I want to do more than just fried tofu since that seems to be the only thing that can work with the "diet" I'm on (I use diet loosely since... I can't do spicy foods, I don't like onions or mushrooms, and I don't want tofu to just replace meat like some tofu recipes do. Gotta enhance the dish, not just mush into it.)
    http://www.matchboxkitchen.com/blog/light-macaroni-and-cheese-2/

• I've never made it myself, but my favourite tofu dish is soondubu jjigae. It is often spicy but doesn't have to be.
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    Looks like figs based on the teardrop fruit shape, internal structure, and shape of the tree. You'd expect ripe figs to be a darker colour, commonly purple exterior with reddish flesh and greenish white pith. Maybe it's some less common type of fig with a different appearance, or maybe it's unripe - too early in the season, or not enough sunlight or nutrients.
    Probably dont want to have the smoker next to the figs... unless you want smoke flavored figs :/

• Szanthax said:
    Looks like figs based on the teardrop fruit shape, internal structure, and shape of the tree. You'd expect ripe figs to be a darker colour, commonly purple exterior with reddish flesh and greenish white pith. Maybe it's some less common type of fig with a different appearance, or maybe it's unripe - too early in the season, or not enough sunlight or nutrients.
    Probably dont want to have the smoker next to the figs... unless you want smoke flavored figs :/
    It was at a McMenamins (popular restaurant franchise in Oregon), just didnt know what it was.
  • Going out on a limb... anyone here familiar with Dollfies? Could use some help.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Tahquil said:
    Going out on a limb... anyone here familiar with Dollfies? Could use some help.
    Those things are nightmare-inducing.
    Huh. Neat.