THIS, is why earrings need to be downgraded. A supposed "Duel"

Comments

• Lol @ earrings being the problem behind people being lame. I bet you believe that guns are the reason people are shooting each other too?

On a side note, about 50% of the time I earring to Tanris he gets me killed.

(Party:) Tanris says, "Come"
    -Earring
    -Totem
    -Rites
    -Harmonics
    -Vibes
    -Guards
    -10 enemies
    -Dead
    (Party:) You say, "WTF DUDE?!"

• quality rant +1
  • Kid needs to change his name.

• Enough of that.
  • Few things:

First, there are aspects of earrings which you could consider overpowered. I'm not getting into that argument because we've had it about ten times already in different threads: I will say that most of the times  earrings seem to facilitate conflict, not stop it (unlike pit, completely different issues).

The one v one comments irritated me for some reason, idk why. I'm not sure if the insinuation was intentional or if I just interpreted it that why, but why should someone need to prove they're good at one v one. If they don't enjoy it and prefer team combat, that's 100% as legitimate as if they were a die hard one v one player.

• edited December 2012
    I don't want to get into the earrings argument: I was just commenting on an annoying thing someone else said, whether or not a person chooses to respond to that is totally up to them.

I don't mean to say that a person cannot play achaea/fight without getting involved in 1v1, before anyone jumps on that. Sure it's 100% as legitimate being a group combatant rather than more of a 1v1 fighter. The part that bugs me is acting like the reason you don't fight 1v1 is because survival has gotten too easy and not because you're just not all that good. Say you prefer fighting in teams because you don't take to 1v1 as opposed to insinuating it's game mechanics that are stopping you from fighting. I've nothing against Mani personally and I don't know him too well, that's just the impression I've got from seeing some things from him in-game and on the forums. I'm sorry if you're not acting like you're actually good when you aren't (Hell, you might be great!), just like Tanris misinterpreted me, perhaps I've misinterpreted you. 

It's just the arrogance of some people who act like they're better than others, and then refuse to prove it and only gank you in teams. I haven't been on the receiving end of this myself from Manifest, but I have seen him do it to others.

And er, this went on a bit further than I intended. So gonna leave that there for now.
  • edited December 2012

Earrings are just stupid. Even gare takes a few seconds to work, and you can be put to sleep at least. Or otherwise hindered.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Earrings don't always work in some situations though. If you happen to be offplane, prone, asleep, mindless, the other person isn't online, etc etc

They're an artefact and I think they're nerfed compared to how brilliant they used to be. :P

I'm actually considering paying to get the lines changed on mine. It's kind of awkward when you're standing there with your husband and another man shows up with the look of true love in his eyes.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I hate earrings.

I realize they are not going away.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Earrings are incredibly powerful.

I'm not sure they are overpowered (without a doubt, borderline), but it is incredibly frustrating knowing that if I attack any of the popular Ashtani fighters that I can have 15 people (seriously) attacking me in the next few seconds.

• We'd have to be really coordinated to do that. Not all of Tanris' earrings are active, and I'm pretty sure at least one is a shrub.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Kyrra said:

I'm actually considering paying to get the lines changed on mine. It's kind of awkward when you're standing there with your husband and another man shows up with the look of true love in his eyes.

Someone I know asked about that and got told it'd be something insane like 1000cr to change the lines. Apparently there's some custom coding involved or something.

I have no idea how accurate this was, but it put me off the idea. :/

(300cr, -max-, I could see - 50cr to customize the travel message, 50cr to customize the arrival message, 50cr to customize the earrings themselves, x2 for two sets of customizations. But 1000cr?)
  • Things like that also have a certain degree of combat relevance though. If people look out for earring lines (or have echos/highlights for them), they are likely to miss them if the message has changed, giving this earring-user an additional advantage. That's probably also partly why customisations like this are so expensive.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I think because it would have to be changed for two items, and effects the first and third person messages.

I bought a pair of earrings for someone and his wife as a gift and they were looking to get them customised so they would be unique to them. 1000cr was the quote.

There's just other things I'd want to spend credits on first. It's something that's on the list for in future though.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I'm interested to hear Grandue's argument on how people would shoot others without guns. 

@Aeolithon - Your 19 IC, so I'm assuming it's an alt, but either way you probably weren't around when I was more interested in 1v1 combat. Truth be told, I've just returned to the game a little over two months ago and picked up Runie about a month ago...I've spent maybe one RL hour developing a couple of 1v1 methods which I haven't even tested. I'm completely and utterly not entertained by it. It's like saying I suck at quantum physics which, in reality, sure I do...because I haven't spent any time studying it and I'm not interested in the least. I don't claim RL or IC that I am the best of the best 1v1, so I'm always baffled when people rage at or "insult" my 1v1 combat prowess. Legit do not care.
  • Mad cause bad.

• Manifest said:
    I'm interested to hear Grandue's argument on how people would shoot others without guns. 

@Aeolithon - Your 19 IC, so I'm assuming it's an alt, but either way you probably weren't around when I was more interested in 1v1 combat. Truth be told, I've just returned to the game a little over two months ago and picked up Runie about a month ago...I've spent maybe one RL hour developing a couple of 1v1 methods which I haven't even tested. I'm completely and utterly not entertained by it. It's like saying I suck at quantum physics which, in reality, sure I do...because I haven't spent any time studying it and I'm not interested in the least. I don't claim RL or IC that I am the best of the best 1v1, so I'm always baffled when people rage at or "insult" my 1v1 combat prowess. Legit do not care.
    On a purely OOC level, I get what you mean. I go in spurts where I can just not be arsed to be involved in combat. On an IC level, Trey holds Mani in some contempt because of his obvious reluctance to stand man-to-man. I lol'd when I hit that totem the other day, by the way. Good job.

• Earrings are op as hell. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just being silly. 
  • Manifest said:
    I'm interested to hear Grandue's argument on how people would shoot others without guns. 

Yeah, I don't know who he is either but, he clearly is. 

@aeolithon Who are you? 

• Why does that matter?

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    @Mizik, was that... a raspberry?

• Doesn't really matter, it's someone who obviously seems to know his stuff.
  • @ Zeon It just puts things into perspective and possibly adds credibility to his comments. If I made an alt and say.. I named him Wiggler. Then I joined forums as Wiggler and posted about how Zeon ran away from me in a duel. You're going to be like wtf is Wiggler? and your friends will be like WTF is wiggler? Then, I go on to post things regarding class skills and pk as if I know about them but to anyone looking at my characters info is going to see i'm fresh from the trial and wonder why they should listen to anything I say at all. See where i'm coming from Zeon or is the hard shell encasing that minuscule mind of yours still acting as a reflective barrier to common sense?
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Interesting the group with the most earrings thinks its fine the one who has to face thek the most doesn't. What a twist.
  • edited December 2012
    @Kaie

I was just curious because it sounded like (and now you've admitted to) trying to detract from the credibility of his/her post by fixating on his/her alt status. This is a public forum and we rate people's comments on their quality, not their in-game stature.

Edit: Also I'm not sure why you're slinging insults my way after a four word forum response to a comment of yours.
    Kaie said:
    @ Zeon It just puts things into perspective and possibly adds credibility to his comments. If I made an alt and say.. I named him Wiggler. Then I joined forums as Wiggler and posted about how Zeon ran away from me in a duel. You're going to be like wtf is Wiggler? and your friends will be like WTF is wiggler? Then, I go on to post things regarding class skills and pk as if I know about them but to anyone looking at my characters info is going to see i'm fresh from the trial and wonder why they should listen to anything I say at all. See where i'm coming from Zeon or is the hard shell encasing that minuscule mind of yours still acting as a reflective barrier to common sense?

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Not everyone abuses the shit out of them. That being said, @Tvistor would have removed my head from my shoulders last night without them! So much </3.

I use mine for the convenience of travel and I really see no difference between them and the vodun travel ability. I've had a pair of earrings for as long as Khairt and Kyrra have been married, which is like 248 IG years or something now. I've used them to avoid death, theft, wasting inks on raidos and turning up to cleave the little sirens that follow my husband around.

Others utilise them differently, obviously, but I don't see them as being that massively OP. They are pricey and they restrict you to use one other person. For the purpose of this thread, you might as well whine about any other ability that requires assistance in removing you from your location. Yank, hoist, grove summon, vodun summon, empress, deliver, beckon, lunge and probably countless others. Mudlet mapper goto saved me getting ganked by Tanris in UW and Cadarus in Delos.