Pokemon GO

KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
For any interested, the makers of games like Ingress did a surprise release of Pokemon GO to Japan, Australia, and New Zealand yesterday. Supposed to release in U.S. by tonight and across Europe the end of the week.

Anyone else planning on playing?

Comments

• KenwayKenway San Francisco
    Im gonna let my roomate play it for like a week and tell me how it is. Hes a poke-suer.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    From what I've heard from some friends in Australia trying it out, it's more or less a dynamic Ingress reskin, using the same model and data.

• Thought that would be what it boiked down to
  • It's officially out in the US. I had it via an APK, but was having server issues. Trilliana and Trilli were taken already.... And I have a dozen pokemon already - which is good for a rural area.
    meh

I'd be careful with using APK, because the company that makes it is known to ban people using them with their other games, especially Ingress. I've since downloaded it via the Play store, but my phone is practically dead so I can't even do anything until I get home.

Having been reading up on in throughout the day, it seems that certain types can be caught in element specific locations. People on the coasts or at beaches are reporting finding a lot more water types, for an example. So that's pretty interesting.

• YaeYae
    edited July 2016
    I played the Beta test. I have a lot of photos of my dog facing off Pokemon. Currently stuck at nicknaming myself. It's been almost 30 minutes.  :'(

Edit: Nevermind. Finally. 
    If you need me, you can find me sporadically on the Achaea Discord as Yae. 
    Do not DM on forums unless you're ok with waiting a couple months!
  • I'm installing it right now. I was a few years too old for the Pokemon era, but the games are kind of fun for a bit.
  • Just installed on my android, but no luck getting through to the servers. :(

• Picked it up on iOS. Had some trouble with the servers, but I've gotten in and played a bit. Already got me a Pikachu :D

• Got it, caught Charmander as my starter.

Now I need to build my team. And do a lot of walking.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

Can't wait to be woken up in the middle of the night by a Gengar next to my bed staring at me.

• Is this just Ingress with pokemon or are there big differences?
  • edited July 2016
    Big differences. At the moment Poke Go is a little clumsier. There isnt a tutorial which kinda threw me. You catch your starter than good luck kid. The pojemon roam and now your ingress portals are pokestops you FLICK THE PICTURE to get random items and eggs or gyms you cant access until later.

Itll take some time to polish, but it is a goo (if not thin feeling for Ingress players) start
    It's made by the same company who made Ingress, but it literally just came out today. It uses the same model and data method that Ingress seems to do, but other than that people are still figuring it out.

• So far I think it is cool. Already tripped over my couch and two curbs messing with it.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Not available in my country yet :(

Skye said:
    Not available in my country yet :(
    It's suppose to release across Europe over the rest of the week.

• Good thing Skye's European :cookie:
    If she is, then I suppose so, because that's the only other place it's planned to release recently. 

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Skye's in Singapore, so pretty sure she has a wait, poor thing.

I'm mostly over the pokemon craze, but I might try this out just for fun. Especially with a trip coming up.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
    Currently available in Australia/New Zealand, Japan, and United States. Still to be released in Italy, Netherlands, UK/Ireland, Russia, Portugal, Spain, France, Canada, Germany, Belgium, and Latin America. 

She may not get it at all then, unless using APK.

• edited July 2016
    A very good way to make exercise fun. I had to walk several blocks to get a pidgee. Also had to set it to battery saving, it drains badly!

My first gym was at a Vietnamese sandwich shop. Lol!

• Kresslack said:
    Currently available in Australia/New Zealand, Japan, and United States. Still to be released in Italy, Netherlands, UK/Ireland, Russia, Portugal, Spain, France, Canada, Germany, Belgium, and Latin America. 

She may not get it at all then, unless using APK.

Double quotes because mobile, but, I was pretty stoked you included Italy in that list. Can't wait.

Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • Shayde said:
    A very good way to make exercise fun. I had to walk several blocks to get a pidgee. Also had to set it to battery saving, it drains badly!

My first gym was at a Vietnamese sandwich shop. Lol!
    The battery saving thing amuses me. Push button then turn upside down. I'm gonna be going to Virginia City today and I kinda hope there's some ghost types there because it'd be fuckin' perfect.
    meh

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    I already caught all 151 on Google Maps last year, I am NOT redoing this shit, goddammit!!
  • Except, you know you probably will. :bleep_bloop:
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Maybe. But if it's just an Ingress reskin, all I will probably end up doing is: walk around my block, capture the portals/Pokemon there, get bored & annoyed at the battery drain, then promptly delete the app.
  • Found a spot at work with a ton of pokespots. Went home and changed,  came back to get them and now the app isn't working.  FML

• Everything you need to know about Pokemon Go: 

• I have a screens hot of their network issues but can't share it here,  for whatever reason