Names

Hopefully this is the right spot for this

Just wondering where people got their names from , like did you make it up as suggested or take it from elsewhere , any reasons behind your name?

Bellator - is  two fold , it means warrior/fighter in roman and thats what  i plan to be eventually , i have a long way to go though and its a name of a mma promotion company - the second being what helped me pick my class

feel free to share yours if you'd like.

Comments

• My name is David, but since I was 15 I went by Davio. Starting here at 16, I didn't even plan to play after the first week so I just went with it.
  • Err.

Vistor was taken (no influence at all, I just like the letter 'v') so I added a 't'. Hashan didn't have enough of an RP environment at the time for little things like my name or ideology to matter.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Melody was taken, and thus she became Melodie.

I was obsessed with the name when I made her at 16. She also started out as a Bard, in Cyrene. Creative, I know. I hated swashbuckling with a passion, though.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • One of my friends read a manga called Jiraishin and I thought it sounded cool, plus I like the letter J. I was basically making a username, not a character name. I also had no idea HELP NAMECHANGE existed until somewhat later, which was kind of a shame because I would have used it had I known.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • I did a generator name search and I found this name and it sounded cool so I took it.
  • Star Wars, obviously
  • AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    I was obsessed with Egyptian mythology when I first began playing Achaea, and I loved the name "Amunet" when I came across it. I can't remember whether or not I ever explained away the name in-game, but I did deliberately give Amu a terrible, pseudo-Egyptian middle name, to which only a few people are privy. It's a source of roleplayed dismay whenever anyone rifles through Amu's personal effects and discovers it.

To carry on the tradition, I've given every one of my text-children a middle name, which they mostly hate. As for Bluef's name, I've always pronounced it "blue-eff", likely because I remember the initial "Bluefairy" attempt. I've always written off the peculiar moniker (and all of her faults and shortcomings) as the fault of her father.
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • Random Greek word adjusted to avoid gender confusion.
  • Wanted something unique, so I tried making up a name. I can't remember what first try sounded like, but I recall checking it on google and turned out it was some kind of bean. Then, on second go, I wanted it to sound unisex, so if/when I would get involved in combat, people would get shocked she's actually a she. Turned out it worked too well because people still think Azu is male.
    It also took Achaeans like a month to realize I'm not actually the ex char Azu and all that time I've been wondering why are people talking to me like they've known me for a lifetime.
  • Corbeau is French for raven or crow. Both birds are symbolic in a way that I thought worked well for a serpent/thief character.
    (Party): Mizik says, "This can't possibly go wrong."
  • Works well for a Nihilist, too.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Some kind of bean, maybe adzuki. Not sure if there are alternate spellings.

Started with a character named Olethros, from the Greek name used for Destruction in The Sandman. An early experience with dying and someone taking a long time to res due to not being able to type the name correctly, combined with a lack of knowledge of how targetting worked in Achaea, made me think a shorter name would be better, so next time around, came up with Eld. Later learned that eld is Swedish for fire, which is kind of neat.
  • I got mine from a random name generator, only to have my friend tell me it's Drowish for "Warlord", "Nobility", and/or "Sword". (Although it's supposedly a suffix)
    I'll probably be shifting over to Starmourn, seeya there!
    discord: aciidwire#5240
    Please check out my new art page!

• When I was 16 and started playing, I was geeking out about mythology and I loved Diana (Goddess of the moon, huntress with the silver bow). I also like palindromes. I still get people who come up to me and ask if I know my name is a palindrome (as mentioned in another thread at some point). 

• As a teenager I liked wearing a cat-ear headband absolutely everywhere. This got me the nickname 'Kitten'. Then online, I decided I preferred the look & sound of the german  'Kätzchen'. Which I would guess would be pronounced like Mädchen, but because this isn't germany I can pronounce it Katz-chen if I like. :P

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• The Bitterbynde trilogy - The first book was really, really good and the other two just turned into a major mary-sue author insertion wank. The main character changes her name frequently. A one stage she styles herself as "Lady of the Sorrow Isles" (which fitted for Mhaldor) but then changed to 'Tahquil' so I took it to remind myself not to play a special snowflake character.

IG reasoning - She was a slave so long she forgot what her real name was. She worked in the library of the cathedral and there was a fable about a girl called Tahquil rising from slavery to Tyrannus through hard work and dedication to the Twin Lords so when she walked the trial she took that name for herself.
  • Jacen said:
    Star Wars, obviously
    You get your arm cut off like a simple bitch, son.

Eld said:
    Some kind of bean, maybe adzuki. Not sure if there are alternate spellings.

Started with a character named Olethros, from the Greek name used for Destruction in The Sandman. An early experience with dying and someone taking a long time to res due to not being able to type the name correctly, combined with a lack of knowledge of how targetting worked in Achaea, made me think a shorter name would be better, so next time around, came up with Eld. Later learned that eld is Swedish for fire, which is kind of neat.
    I actually thought you took your name from the surname Eld in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King...

• After all my newbie female characters kept getting hit on by random male characters, I decided the best thing to do was gender-bend and create a male character. My roommate at the time was watching some television show with a character named Ephram on it, and I liked it. And then that was the character that took off, mostly because I could get to level 40+ without always being hit on and propositioned. (Seriously. It was all sorts of ridiculous.)

Two biggest regrets - My character is a guy, which I pretty much don't care about anymore. And his name is Ephram rather than something creative that I made up. To be honest, I didn't expect he would last. That was seven years ago.
  • Trey said:
    Jacen said:
    Star Wars, obviously
    You get your arm cut off like a simple bitch, son.
    Immune to pain though, bro. SO wanted to end up in Apollyon's order. RIP :(
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Kyrra was just a name off the top of my head, as I like K names, and it sounded pretty. I hadn't realised when I started playing, that there was a female atavian named Kyra. The first time I ran into Kyra was so great.

Since I returned from dormancy, I've made a few alts. One of them had a really terrible time with creepers. From 18 to 22, she was not left alone and some ass was making new characters to stalk and harass her. I actually felt obligated to go and get an hourglass at age 19 just to get a brief respite. It's kind of sad because that sort of interaction really discourages getting to know other players and forge some IC friendships and relationships, because you constantly end up wondering if so and so is a sleaze, and anyone else age 18 might be that person on another alt.

Oddly enough, most of my characters end up with names that have double consonants because Trey always made comments about Kyrra, Kierra and Kiella.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited December 2012
    Oh wow i had the same thing happen to me but with some young siren wont mention names but she kept sending me hi and asking what i liked to do for fun , one day i replied hunting and being polite asked what she liked to do , she rambled off a list of hunting and talking with friends before ending with naughty stuff and a wink face - luckily Bellator or i havent heard from her or anyone like that since

lucky she didnt follow me around or anything
  • My characters in achaea have always somehow ended up with repetitive sounds in first & last names, and I never planned it that way. Wintir Winterhart was just lol.. I didn't find out her father's surname until after she bloodlined him. Khari Kaimelar, then when her mother changed it to Khari Caderyn, and now the double z sound in Katzchen Xanatov.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.