In the market for a new laptop..

I'm in the new market for a new laptop and wanted to get some opinions from those of you who may have some recommendation or ideas.

Currently playing on a 13 inch Macbook pro from about 5 years ago. It crashes a lot, so I was gonna upgrade it myself with an SSD and a new hard drive cable, etc but I'm just not sure it is worth it at this point. Another issue is how freakin hot it gets..

So I'm looking for the following features:
 1. ~15.6" screensize. Nothing bigger. 
 2. A backlit keyboard is a must for us text gamers!
 3. Anything else you would recommend. I7 is a big factor as well.
 4. Probably looking to switch back to a PC since Macs are so overpriced. 

Thanks!

Comments

• What's your budget and what do you plan to do with it aside from mudlet?
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    My best recommendation, if you're not stuck on any kind of brand/type, is to set yourself a bar on what kind of specs you'd like to aim for, and then the kind of minimum specs you would accept. From there, just basically scour newegg, ebay, and similar sorts of sites and try to narrow down what fits you vs. a good price. Also good to figure out if you're okay with used, must have at least refurbished, or absolutely cannot do anything but new (the last is obviously the most expensive).

I bought a new laptop about three weeks ago and the hard part was honestly narrowing down specs. So the bar I used was to find some recent games I really wanted to play but could not, get an idea of what could run it, and then begin making a check-list of what's important. I use my laptop mainly for gaming, but I couldn't afford the high-priced gaming stuff, so I had to settle about in the middle of my low to high spec desires.

That said, I ended up getting a refurbished laptop that new, costs somewhere in the $700 range, for $400 manufacturer refurbished, at newegg. Don't be afraid to be a picky shopper - this is something you'll keep for a while, after all. I think I spent 3-4 very long days of constantly checking around before I found this amazing deal (which everywhere else was $100-$150 more for the same condition). If you're curious, it's the Lenovo Flex 3, which I've been rather enjoying.

Good luck! Shopping's a pain but it's all worth it in the end.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Aesgar said:

2. A backlit keyboard is a must for us text gamers!
    You're a chicken pecker aren't you!

Huh. Neat.
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    Don't go super cheap. I've found my Dell with ssdd unable to run mudlet effectively.

• Shameless plug saying that you can get a better quality desktop PC for cheaper, but I understand some people need laptops. I upgraded from a $1400 'gaming' laptop to a $400 gaming desktop, literally every single component is an upgrade from the laptop. The extra $350 for peripherals (mouse, keyboard, monitor, headphones) was totally worth it to me.

But if you're looking for a mobile computing solution, feel free to ignore this.
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    Oh yeah.My computer is pretty old and I'm still ok buy I went over the top when I bought it. Desktop all the way. But when your at school or in NYC fit an event need dat laptop

• http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834296993&ignorebbr=1
    Some of the newer dells are in great build quality. Please for the love of god get a laptop with an SSD. It would make the biggest difference in day to day performance. This one doesn't have a dedicated graphics card. I don't know if that would be a deal breaker.
  • http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232754
    Actually scratch that, this one would be the better bet. It has a 4k display and a dedicated GPU.
  • Arryne said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834296993&ignorebbr=1
    Some of the newer dells are in great build quality. Please for the love of god get a laptop with an SSD. It would make the biggest difference in day to day performance. This one doesn't have a dedicated graphics card. I don't know if that would be a deal breaker.
    Hard drive isn't a big deal, i plan to put my own SSD in anyway
  • http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315130

liking this one but I hate whatever that is on the mousepad.. is that an autograph?