Seafaring Bounties & Ship Notoriety

KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
A long time ago I suggested a Bounty system to supplement Mark contracts. It worked great for the lubber, so was toying the idea about bounties for the sea. As I see it, it would be overly complicated and be inherently riddled with problems to have this set towards individuals. Rather, this is what I propose:

- Allow bounties to be set by organisations (even on behalf of individuals such as citizens) against vessels themselves.

- Bounties can be posted at Tasur'ke and Thraasi harbours.

- The bounty can be accepted by multiple [captains of] vessels, but can only be completed by one.

- Once completed, the captain of the vessel which secured the bounty delivers it to one of the two main ports to turn it in, upon which their crew gain experience, any players involved gain experience, and a small payout is made based on the bounty and amount.

This will effectively allow individuals the ability to seek retribution at sea where they may not be able to obtain it themselves, and likewise drive activity to the sea in pursuit of hunting down notorious ruffians and a profit

It's a system that was essentially used historically to counter piracy and other certain acts at sea by basically offering a reward for anyone who brought down/in the infamous culprits.

Along with this, perhaps a sort of Notoriety system could be added for ships. A ship initiates transgressions against other vessels with enough frequency and the ship can be flagged and identified with a level of Notoriety which effectively scales with a bonus to any active bounties. The higher the Notoriety of a vessel, the larger the bonus if it's brought down under pursuit of a bounty.

Comments

• Definitely interesting though as the seas are open PK, we can set this up ourselves. It may be something to do within the guild. Discuss with me in game?
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Why should this only be open to the Guild! Pffff.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Melodie said:
    Why should this only be open to the Guild! Pffff.
    Because the point of the Mariners guild is to ruin sailing lol
  • I didn't say exclusively the guild, simply that it is something we can implement as players and citing an org capable of doing it. Unless you want me speaking for what the pirates can and want to do?
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    It's hard to get anything going organizationally when people automatically default to "omg did the nerai give you permission?!"

(I really dgaf about the nerai, sorrynotsorry)
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • @Mosr Mariners guild isn't just Nerai, I think half the council isn't Nerai now.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Nerai don't run things above the waves any more than they run things below them. Let's try to keep this on topic.

As originally mentioned, bounties could be set by Organisations to call for the sanctioned hunting of vessels which have developed a level of Notoriety, much like Infamy for player characters.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    It'd be interesting flavour, but with the seas being currently Open-Pk it just feels a bit... I don't know. Superfluous?

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

edited June 2016
    It's simply an incentive to get out there more and to take advantage of that open-pk nature. With the added benefit of vessels which tend to be overly aggressive essentially painting themselves a target for hunters.

• Valkyn said:
    Mariners guild isn't just Nerai, I think half the council isn't Nerai now.
    They still have quite a lot of influence in the Mariners, though.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

That's largely irrelevant. The Nerai have about as much influence an power over what goes on above the waves as they do what goes on under them. Matters which concern the people who traverse the seas do not need to be narrowed down to one specific group, unless that group is the only one interested in taking initiative. Hence why I posted this idea, so that it would be available for all to consider.

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    The Nerai in the Mariners Guild never force anything on anyone in the Guild, you just have to abide the rules set for everyone. They will make suggestions on what might be a bad idea like something that would give you bad luck, and what sort of things please and displease Lord Neraeos but that's about the extent of it. It's up to you as a role player what kind of chances you want to take, even though it doesn't seem as risky when He isn't active.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

Some of my best interactions as a pirate were when he was active, including having NPC's from his Order clamber aboard the ship for a chat. 

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Kresslack said:
    Some of my best interactions as a pirate were when he was active, including having NPC's from his Order clamber aboard the ship for a chat. 
    Yeah I bet. The few rituals I saw when my character was Cyrenian were pretty cool. That Order seems to have a lot of awesome lore, but it's a shame they've lost so many members due to an inactive God.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.