Mudlet & Windows 10 Problems

Hi all,

Recently installed Mudlet and am trying to get up to speed with it. I've been having a heck of a time getting svof (or any packages, for that matter) to install. When I try to install through the package manager, the Install bar flickers for a moment, then disappears, and the package doesn't appear in the list. I've tried uninstalling Mudlet, reinstalling 2.1, clearing out my packages and starting from scratch, but no dice. The weird thing is that a few simpler xml scripts I've installed do work, it's just the packages that seem to be where the problem lies.

Any advice would be welcome - thanks.

Comments

• CarmellCarmell Eastern Washington
    I had no problem installing mudlet on windows 10.  try mudlet 3?
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    I'm also using Mudlet 3 on Windows 10, on both desktop and tablet, with no issues. I even sync my settings and profiles over OneDrive,

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • I had the same problem exactly like you described. The issue was with my anti-virus software. I have to disable it long enough to install some packages. 
  • Looks as @Jadys says, I had some svof users, who were not able to update due to overzealous anti-virus programs blocking the install of zips and mpackages downloaded from the internet. Completely disabling them (not only certain parts) usually helped.
  • Thanks, I hadn't though of that. Will give it a try later on today.

• edited February 2016
    So...after some more experimenting and troubleshooting, no dice. Went as far as turning off antivirus, restarting in safe mode, wiping out Mudlet completely and reinstalling. Still having the same problem. Was wondering if it might be the fact that I'm using 32-bit Mudlet on a 64-bit system, but as far as I can see there isn't a 64-bit version. Frustrating as all heck!

Do I need a specific .zip program installed, maybe? Was using the Windows one at first, but then installed 7zip, not that it made a difference. Also, using McAfee for antivirus, if that helps.

Back to troubleshooting...

• Ok, so after downloading svof once more and trying to install...it appears to be working now. It is listed about a dozen times in my package manager, but vinstalled just fine. Don't know what I did, but....it works!

• It's perfectly normal that it turns up a lot in the package manager due to te different xml files in the package
  • [Insert shameless linux plug here.]
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Necroing this thread because I just had this issue a few minutes ago and this is what I had to do to get it to install on Win10.

• Run it in compatibility mode for win8
    • disable antivirus and firewall
    • run as administrator
    Even then, it didn't show up in the package manager when I installed it. I restarted Mudlet though and it just magically appeared and ran perfectly.

I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    @Jonathin 2.1 or 3.0?
    Huh. Neat.
    It was 3.0-delta
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    I didn't have an issue installing Mudlet 3.0D on any of my three devices running Windows 10 (one Pro, one Home). In fact, re-installed Mudlet 3.0D last night on my cheap Windows 10 tablet with no issues.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
    Sorry, Mudlet installed fine, but packages would not. On my laptop it's fine on Win10 but on the other it's broke.
  • I have found a solution to this problem:

https://gentoo.org/

edited June 2016
    Yeaah, that's not really a solution, that's more of an alternate method with a whole new slew of issues that comes in the form of 'what the hell is the shell?' 'can I hear the ocean in it?!' (For most people)
    Jonathin said:
    Yeaah, that's not really a solution, that's more of an alternate method with a whole new slew of issues that comes in the form of 'what the hell is the shell?' 'can I hear the ocean in it?!' (For most people)
    Bash? I already bash. How does that help mudlet?
    :bleep_bloop:

Huh. Neat.
  • Disabling Mcafee real time scan allowed me to install packages.

McAfee.

McAfee.

Just... McAfee.
    Huh. Neat.