Midwest meet

JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
I figured that if I wanted to get another meet going for the midwest US area in like 5 years, I should probably get started.

Anyone down to meet up at some point this summer for alcohol and shenanigans? I definitely am and might be able to drag Lachlan along to fulfill my social needs.

I am in the dead centre of LP Michigan, so anywhere in-state is fine. I also have plenty of vacation time if required to drive further.

Date and time TBD if anyone is interested.
I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.

Comments

• I'm in Ohio, and we could probably drag Tecton back from space for something!
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    Ohio is close to nyc...

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Szanthax said:
    Ohio is close to nyc...
    But that's not how midwest works.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
    Lol spent my summer's where it's hi in the middle and round on both ends.  

• Kaillian and I live a little north of Columbus Ohio and would likely be willing to do a weekend meet sometime this summer.
  • I'll be in MI next month

• Given ample notice, I might be able to drag @Marina and myself up for something. 

I'd be willing to go somewhere in Ohio if it would be more central to everyone, but I have no idea where or what is going on. A2 has all kinds of weird festivals I think. I'd probably have to ask Lachlan because she knows where to find that stuff sometimes
  • Oh, he knows the Michigan we're from! People typically ask, "How far from Detroit are you?" Well, about a century. Pass all the cornfields to the north and add another century. <3
  • About oh...12 years ago, there was a meet up at the Michigan Renaissance festival that was quite fun. I'm much further south these days, but I think that could be a fun place to repeat a visit to. 
    Lereas said:

We met at North of Thera...
    Look at all dem Achaeans!! That's like an active city now... *sob*

• Can we have some names with that?
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Back row: Xefpi, Belus, Indrani, Valeria, Blackharp (holding tree), Saidie, Riven, Gragor, Alaiea, Greyda (what a hottie!)
    Front row: Lydia, Gabrar, Nawtika, Lereas
    Tecton said:
    Back row: Xefpi, Belus, Indrani, Valeria, Blackharp (holding tree), Saidie, Riven, Gragor, Alaiea, Greyda (what a hottie!)
    How...do you know everything. Gah.

• Szanthax said:
    Tecton said:
    How...do you know everything. Gah.
    It may or may not have something to do with the last one in the back row, I would imagine.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    If @Trey is making the trip from the Deep South, he'd probably pass through my town. Date and cashflow willing, I could be convinced to flag him down for a ride to see MI. It's one of the few states I haven't been to at this point.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • edited June 2016
    Maybe early August somewhere in mid-north OH or in MI?

Someone find something fun that's happening.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Nicola said:
    Maybe early August somewhere in mid-north OH or in MI?

Someone find something fun that's happening.
    Cleveland priiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide
    Huh. Neat.
    edited June 2016
    There are a few things here in MI, but I've never been to them and they're either pretty tame or expensive (Saline Summefest and the German Biergarten). I haven't checked GR or anything, but if anyone knows any tricks to finding some other events other than Michigan.org/events website, I'm all ears.

Also, it looks like the Ren Fairs start in September, so unless we want to push it back, that's out.
  • Can't find a renfest the first week of August in either Northern Ohio or Southern Michigan.  They seem to be April and then again late August and September.

If you're hunting for something that does not have to be renaissance themed, Greenfield Village is always a nice outing.  People can go in and out of display homes, forge, watch glass blowers.  I've not been in about 10 years, so I'm sure there are different things to do.  It's about $25 per person, more info on the web site below.  (Southwestern Detroit, about 45 minutes from Toledo)

https://www.thehenryford.org/visit/greenfield-village/

Get together on Friday night, Greenfield village on Saturday, Dinner Saturday Night.  Then figure out something for Sunday?
    Sounds like a good time
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Greenfield village is a lot of fun
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Man I got excited when I heard Midwest meet because I thought of like St. Louis. Michigan and Ohio? You Yankees have a really weird concept of what mid means! I could, if there is some kinda miracle maybe travel some in August, but it is unlikely. I can drive St. Louis and back in a day, though if anyone would ever be interested in a slightly more southern meet.
  • Jinsun said:
    Man I got excited when I heard Midwest meet because I thought of like St. Louis. Michigan and Ohio? You Yankees have a really weird concept of what mid means! I could, if there is some kinda miracle maybe travel some in August, but it is unlikely. I can drive St. Louis and back in a day, though if anyone would ever be interested in a slightly more southern meet.

Give me another year and I'll hopefully be settling in near St Louis!  House hunting after the New Year.
  • Let's figure out what dates work best for the majority?  I could make the 6th and 7th of August, but not the evening of the 5th.  12 - 14th of August I'm free.  I live about an hour away, so would probably just commute.  But it seems everyone always seems to spend a lot of time in the hotel, so if someone wants to throw out some suggestions in the area around Dearborn Michigan, I'm sure others might follow suit and book the same place.
    Any days work for me. vacation time aplenty. I'll have to find out for Lachlan though
  • The weekend of the 12th looks okay (as far ahead as I can see), first week of any month is never good for me.
  • I'd be down for something in Michigan.

I have undressed a god.