SHOP LIST (and other ideas)

To supplement the implementation of DIRECTORY <item> (which I love), it would be great if there was a SHOP LIST for each market area (including Delos):

Shops found in the city of Ashtan:
----------------------------------------------------
1. Tools of Fate
2. The Serenity of Combat
3. Ogre's Arms and Armour
4. The Ballatorium
5. Aesgar's Boutique
6. Wal-Mart

Then you could use the landmarks system to WALK TO SHOP<##>. 

Ideally, the shop list would update itself as ownerships, shop titles, etcetera change over time. This could even work like a city bounty board where you have to go read it somewhere, like the Central Market in Ashtan. 

It would also be great if DIRECTORY <item> denoted shops that don't allow you to purchase items there, or discounts/items costing more due to your status.

Discuss, censure, or endorse!

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    It does seem like the natural progression of DIRECTORY

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• it would make directory.. useful, rather than knowing that the thing you want is out there, but you can't bloody find it in the maze of shops and streets, and oh god.. I'm lost, there's a man with a cleaver.. oh god.. help!

• edited June 2016

Mrw someone asks me where a shop is at as a merchant. I just point them in a direction and hope they eventually stumble on it like I do.

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    ^rf <shop name goes here>$. Click the link.  Mudlet: kicking nexus tail since 08'
  • It feels like this is a convoluted workaround to not just using the vnums.
  • Austere said:
    ^rf <shop name goes here>$. Click the link.  Mudlet: kicking nexus tail since 08'
    The whole reason to have it server-side is half of the shops out there haven't been updated on the mapper yet
  • edited June 2016
    Aesgar said:
    Austere said:
    The whole reason to have it server-side is half of the shops out there haven't been updated on the mapper yet because without a way to know where something listed in the directory is, it's rather useless to have built into the game when half of it requires an outside course to function properly.
    FTFY

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • (Newbie): Hustle says, "Where can i get a shield?"

(Newbie): You say, "You'll want to hit up a shop for that. Try checking out DIRECTORY <thing> within a city or Delos for a list of shops stocking that item."

(Newbie): Hustle says, "If i know the shop name how can i walk to it? i cant find Kloaks and koats."

If showing new people the syntax is just making them more frustrated and lost, it's not really an elegant or newbie-friendly implementation. 

• I messaged him to use CHELP SHOPS after that exchange. 

Doesn't hurt to know where these places are, without a mapper. 

(in my day...blah blah... no map.... blah blah... walking to places.. blah blah)
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Xaden said:
    I messaged him to use CHELP SHOPS after that exchange. 

Doesn't hurt to know where these places are, without a mapper. 

(in my day...blah blah... no map.... blah blah... walking to places.. blah blah)
    Only useful if you are part of that city, or part of any city. How am I meant to find shops in hashan!

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    *cough*mudletmapper*cough*

And before you lot light the torches and sharpen the pitchforks, yes I realize it's not newbie-friendly to say "hey go download this whole other system so you can do this one thing", sure. But if I could only keep one script, it would be the mapper. It's been the most useful thing to me in all my time in Achaea. So much functionality. So easy to work with. So brilliant.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Also if a shop name is wrong msg @Qwindor? He's pretty diligent on updating everything. 
  • QwindorQwindor Fort Riley
    Sadly I won't be able to update anything on the crowdmap till next week. I am leaving the Army and currently have no house at the moment and no internet unless I can get one of my buddies here to let me use his in his room. But if anythind needs to be updated or added let me know in messages with room numbers and I will get to it when I can. Cheers everyone.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    I don't know what things are like in Ashtan right now, but back when I was Chancellor, Alinixa was very nice and did up some posters that were at Central Market, Dockhand Square, and outside of the Royal Blacksmith which listed all the surrounding shops, their names, and where you could look for certain things (refills, enchantments etc). They had a very pretty ansi map which made finding their locations super easy.

It was before the implementation of the Directory feature, so I've no idea if they are still being updated or not, but it was something I had hoped might be made into a permanent feature to help people find things and for shop owners/renters to get traffic to their shops.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."