Updating ship trades

Hi!

Is there any chance of adding more desirable content to seafaring trades to liven them up? Here are the last trades I know of:

hat / hat
hat / 75,000 gold
ammo / rum
hat / skull
exp / morale
rum / hat
morale / morale

The skull and hat are cool and everything but I don't think they're worth getting more than once, and the rest are kind of meh too. Nothing really exciting.

Whenever there is a mayan crown trade or 25 credits trade, there is a flurry of activity around the ports, at least from what I can see - maybe someone who sails more can confirm this. I think if there were more desirable trades available, seafaring would be used a lot more.

Some options I can think of a cache of 5-6 talisman pieces from any non-dragon set, artifact upgrade vouchers, housing credits, commodities, a globe of shifting continents, artifacts 100cr or less (pipes, vials, keyring, etc), trait reset, reincarnation, ice figurine, pet crates, new mounts, humgii race tickets... there are a ton of options.

i'm a rebel

Comments

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    The hat was cool at first, but now it's almost every trade and along with the morale and xp, just doesn't seem enough to get people out there. The most sought after trades were the 100k and Mayan crown, but I think these have either been removed or greatly lowered so as not to flood the market perhaps.

• The only trades worth doing are the Mayan Crown and 25 bound credits. Some people like the 100k, but the profit from that trade is really not high enough to justify doing it unless you own a lot of ships and keep surplus cargo in them for that specific purpose. The golden griffon is okay if you want it.. all of the other trades are either blatantly ridiculous or something you'd only do once in your entire sailing career. 

I think the crummy trade deals are the number one reason we don't see more people sailing. The lack of frequent good deals also makes windcutters a very bad investment.

I love all of your ideas for possible trade deals and I'd like to hear more. Particularly as none of them directly generate gold which is something the devs seem to be backing off from lately.
  • Yeah its frustrating as it means less incentive to use the ship system as seamonsters are now just a different form of hunting. Its been probably well over an IG year since Greys had a trade he found worth doing.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    It's never actually seemed worth it to do trades. The content is severely lackung compared to what goes into it, namely my time. I only have a limited amount in this life and I'm not really interested in trading a few hours of it for a hat.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    It's never actually seemed worth it to do trades. The content is severely lackung compared to what goes into it, namely my time. I only have a limited amount in this life and I'm not really interested in trading a few hours of it for a hat.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Trades in exchange for a talisman from the current promotion? 

I understand why we don't get Mayan crown trades every month. But yeah, most trades definitely seem to suck. I really wish we could work at getting unique stuff through trades. But everything nice and interesting is currently syphoned into talisman pieces, and there's no chance at all of getting talisman pieces directly via sailing.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Or perhaps a set of seafaring talismans, you get a chance to get one or more pieces when you do any trade, even the less lucrative ones.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • I like the idea of a ship trade item that levels up by doing more trades and the captain chooses when to 'claim' it.

or a points system that can be redeemed for prizes like the sargassum event
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Maybe there should be shorter trades for temporary boosts that could benefit sea monster hunting, ship combat, etc. Something more exciting than morale/experience for crew. Maybe access to an ability for a fair amount of time that helps locate monsters or entices them to show up more often, creates a stronger barrier, a helpful offensive boost with a long cool down period, etc. I understand why Mayan Crowns and 25 credit trades take the amount of time and work that they do, but the less fun or less beneficial ones should have time taken to complete re-evaluated.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• I once mentioned livening up trades with different aspects to it. In my suggestion was 'slave trading' which in truth should be fairly common in Achaea (have you seen the amount of slaves out there?). I could definitely see unique talisman sets introduced out of different trades.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Asmodron said:
    I once mentioned livening up trades with different aspects to it. In my suggestion was 'slave trading' which in truth should be fairly common in Achaea (have you seen the amount of slaves out there?). I could definitely see unique talisman sets introduced out of different trades.
    Or just do trades for a random Seafaring piece.
    Huh. Neat.
    The Seafaring talisman set is pretty overdone already, though. It'd be better if it was a piece from whatever current talisman promotion there was. That way it'd keep the trades from getting stale with old things.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Maybe a rare trade for talisman caches?
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:
    Maybe a rare trade for talisman caches?
    (Not too rare)
    Yes, please. This is a win-win.

• How about a currency just for seafaring. Iron chits that are awarded for completing ship trades. These chits can be used as a special harbour to purchase special goods or services like figurehead energy, crew morale or experience, ship upgrades, weapons/ammo, unique crew descriptions, etc. This way you could do trades and stock up on chits to buy the more expensive things sold at the harbour shop. These chits could be tied to the chip or maybe even allowed to be sold to other adventurers. 
  • @Grandue 's idea could also apply as an alternative reward for seamonster hunting. Getting gold just felt like it was hunting with an extra step.
    I rather like getting gold from seamonsters. I would not mind if we could choose between one or the other.

• I'd much rather get something else from sea monsters, if I wanted gold I could get more of it hunting or questing.

I dislike hunting for gold.  Sea monsters at least make it passingly interesting

• I mean, you could always make the seafaring currency trade in for gold as an option.
    Kiet said:
    I mean, you could always make the seafaring currency trade in for gold as an option.
    Thats even less interesting than hunting, tends to take more time, and less profit.

• I'm not sure how you figure less profit on that. The currency could trade in for current monster prices, if that's the route they went.