best bashing classes?

Comments

• I have fork/pendulum/lvl 3 rapier and some tanking arties but I still prefer Dragon. I think Dragon is the superior bashing class, pls no nerferino.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    I have fork/pendulum/lvl 3 rapier and some tanking arties but I still prefer Dragon. I think Dragon is the superior bashing class, pls no nerferino.
    Until I see otherwise I'll agree with this... I think we're just doing it wrong

• I have a level 3 lash, level 2 dex, and level 1 pendant for serpent.

I have level 2 gauntlets (or level 2 sash, diadem) for dragon.

Serpent is undeniably faster, though I can't do the high level dragon stuff (dks, groups of unsidhe or sidhe, groups of vertani) so in terms of actual gold generation it's about equal for me since DKs/Delos Guards/Theran guards are such good gold, and I have to avoid or be really careful in areas like Tir and the catacombs.

Overall I probably prefer bashing in dragon just because there's 0 chance of dying (outside of a dc or gank of course) and I can watch tv without having to look at the screen every second to see if I need to run away.

• SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    Cooper said:
    I have a level 3 lash, level 2 dex, and level 1 pendant for serpent.

I have level 2 gauntlets (or level 2 sash, diadem) for dragon.

Serpent is undeniably faster, though I can't do the high level dragon stuff (dks, groups of unsidhe or sidhe, groups of vertani) so in terms of actual gold generation it's about equal for me since DKs/Delos Guards/Theran guards are such good gold, and I have to avoid or be really careful in areas like Tir and the catacombs.

Overall I probably prefer bashing in dragon just because there's 0 chance of dying (outside of a dc or gank of course) and I can watch tv without having to look at the screen every second to see if I need to run away.
    I just don't know what'd I'd hunt if not for the big stuff

• I really like the way Serpent works in terms of bashing actually.  It has a pretty broad range, starting from pretty bad unartied, to almost the best artied.  It has a fairly high skill cap in terms of edging out extra seconds here and there with playing chicken or defending, and there's a lot of room for optimization that its speed uniquely allows, especially for places dragons might not ordinarily consider.  I imagine bard is in the same position in a lot of ways, but I have not tried it yet.

Dragon's sort of the opposite: it doesn't have much room for growth except marginally with arties, so dragons are dragons more or less.  Its style doesn't really lend to doing much beyond the basics, so it's a fairly low skill cap.  It is, however, absolutely unparalleled in survivability and thus is a good choice for some of the much higher level stuff.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I've never been very good at bashing, just now trying to find my stride after all these years with it. I've a lvl 2 lash, SoA, and a lvl 1 crit pendant. It's quick, but as has been mentioned high level hunting tiers are a pain because still pretty squishy and have to rely on crits to effectively kill them. I do a lot of hit and running. If I one day do get dragon, I imagine I would be hunting as dragon exclusively. I've honestly considered trading in my lash for a sword and switching to Runewarden. Kinda regret switching from Runewarden to Serpent, trading in my gauntlets and palette.

I don't know, it's a decision I've been struggling with for a while because I would like to be able to more effectively hunt higher level stuff, but can't really afford to multiclass just yet.

• Kresslack said:
    I've never been very good at bashing, just now trying to find my stride after all these years with it. I've a lvl 2 lash, SoA, and a lvl 1 crit pendant. It's quick, but as has been mentioned high level hunting tiers are a pain because still pretty squishy and have to rely on crits to effectively kill them. I do a lot of hit and running. If I one day do get dragon, I imagine I would be hunting as dragon exclusively. I've honestly considered trading in my lash for a sword and switching to Runewarden. Kinda regret switching from Runewarden to Serpent, trading in my gauntlets and palette.

I don't know, it's a decision I've been struggling with for a while because I would like to be able to more effectively hunt higher level stuff, but can't really afford to multiclass just yet.
    That's exactly what I did when I was pushing to dragon. I found serpent to get really hard once you hit the 83-90 area.

Once I went runie I never looked back in terms of hunting. I loved it so much.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Aesi said:
    Kresslack said:

That's exactly what I did when I was pushing to dragon. I found serpent to get really hard once you hit the 83-90 area.

I'm at 89 unartied serpent (just got pixie's boots at 88 and 90%, first bashing artie). I'm ready to claw my eyes out.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:
    Aesi said:
    Kresslack said:

I'm at 89 unartied serpent (just got pixie's boots at 88 and 90%, first bashing artie). I'm ready to claw my eyes out.
    The hit and run drove me insane, was also unartied on both. and couldn't be in a room with 2+ things that aggro'd.

In runie I could destroy rooms with 3+ mobs in it
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Ahmet said:
    Aesi said:
    Kresslack said:

I think I'm at 86. I was at about 9% the other night and went hunting with some Housemates, died a couple of times and just wanted to start drinking. I know people who hunted their way to dragon via Serpent in the past, but they were heavily artied. I'm thinking I may just go back to Runewarden and use sword and board since I already have an SoA, and should be decent enough speed still.

Is it recommended to go for strength over dexterity for that?

Kresslack said:
    Ahmet said:
    Aesi said:
    Kresslack said:

I think I'm at 86. I was at about 9% the other night and went hunting with some Housemates, died a couple of times and just wanted to start drinking. I know people who hunted their way to dragon via Serpent in the past, but they were heavily artied. I'm thinking I may just go back to Runewarden and use sword and board since I already have an SoA, and should be decent enough speed still.

Is it recommended to go for strength over dexterity for that?
    I've found it best hunting the same things I've been hunting for years. Weak things, but things that people rarely hunt so I get the boost from "oh this thing hasn't been killed". There are small things that, even without the bonus, are really decent xp for their might. Especially compared to places like Grukai, Morindar or Zanzibaar, where hunting is much much slower. 
    Huh. Neat.
  • So sounds like unartied maybe.. Bard and runewarden.. Maybe followed by maybe magi (with talisman) and monk?

I find with unartied bard hunting, and maybe not enough lessons invested, a lot of missing with my rapier. What information is there on this?
  • edited May 2016
    I bashed from 81 to 91 with no arties as serp (got a soa at 88). It's not really that bad if you stop trying to bash places far above your tanking abilities.

No, don't go strength over dexterity unless you want to do less dps for some reason.

Re: bard: they're super inaccurate until high swashbuckling.
  • No matter what class you're playing, not having your bashing skill transed is probably going to make bashing suck a ton.
  • so level 1 belt/sip ring/lash and I've found serpent hunting pretty quick, can just about take a Sidhe if I get runes (level 81).

Though I've been using minerals to buff myself for short bursts (+2 dex) for 1.8s garrote.
    Aylek said:
    so level 1 belt/sip ring/lash and I've found serpent hunting pretty quick, can just about take a Sidhe if I get runes (level 81).

Though I've been using minerals to buff myself for short bursts (+2 dex) for 1.8s garrote.
    I couldn't hunt Sidhe with lvl 1 lash/boots + runes + truefavour. What the fuck am I doing wrong?
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:
    Aylek said:
    so level 1 belt/sip ring/lash and I've found serpent hunting pretty quick, can just about take a Sidhe if I get runes (level 81).

I couldn't hunt Sidhe with lvl 1 lash/boots + runes + truefavour. What the fuck am I doing wrong?
    You're hunting Sidhe.

Small shit in volume. Lake fairies etc
  • Probably nothing. It's impossible to bash sidhe with just a level 1 belt/ring/lash at level 81 effectively.

I'm level 107, level 2 belt, level 2 bracelet, level 2 sip, 17/18 dex, level 1 regen, SoA, , level 1 pendant, and I can't even tank a group of 2, and 1 knight will outdo my healing if they get good rng on the big hits or I don't get many crits.

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    edited May 2016
    You guys don't get it. 
    "Just about" means he ran some. 
    Aylek can't straight tank. 

Two can kill me too. 
    I generally lyre once. 
    Taking dragons works! 

Can't beat the speed kills. 
    Laytronite is crazy. 
    Love that bonus dex. 

Edit:

Haiku'd the wrong thread. 
    It is just so addictive. 
    I don't even care. 
  • I got it, that's why I didn't respond to Aylek and instead showed Ahmet that it's hard to bash them so he's not doing it wrong.

• @Makarios
    Any specifics on what went up/down and relatively how much - as was done last time damage was reworked? Only affecting weapons classes is still quite some classes.

ANNOUNCE NEWS #4565                                     (06/01/2016 at 00:43)
    From   : Makarios, the Meticulous
    To     : Everyone
    Subject: PVE damage adjustments
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We've just loaded up some changes to how damage is calculated for player versus denizen combat. These changes will only effect weapon classes, and should significantly smooth out the disparities.

We'll be keeping an eye on this, as now that all damage is set at the correct baseline we'll be more able to adjust as necessary across the board.

Penned by My hand on the 17th of Ero, in the year 714 AF.

The Truths hurt. Always.
  • Sentinel (l3 spear, 19 str) thrust damage has gone down by about 35%.    Speed seems to be unchanged.
  • I'm level 87 and got a crit pendant (lvl 1) at around 86. Serpent with dex spec, no other arties, though I usually try to get runes whenever I can. I can't hunt Dun Swamp without a shield tat or the occasional crystal (mostly because of the warthogs), but it works nicely. The pendant really, really helped a lot, and I don't regret choosing it over a belt, which I was originally saving up for. Next step will be SoA, though. Might take a couple of months again.
  • Sorry, should have added to this - I have to hit and run if I do that, and I rarely hunt them, only if there's a single sidhe (think there's about 4 of them standing around outside their area) that I hunt as I clear everything else (fairies/kelpies etc) though I find it a lot more rewarding to just clear goblins - quicker ROI.

I can tank about 3 hits from a sidhe but have to watch out for their big hit, normally get them pretty quickly though as have been lucky on my crits.

Not worth actually killing them, but you can hunt them.
  • Recently went back to monk. 17 str, 6k health. Lvl 2 bracelets and sip. Hitting fairy knights for <2% per combo. Had to run 3 times.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Anything with sycophant cape.
  • Two-handed user with 20 str and dreadblade here. Damage got reduced by 20%. :(
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • Switched to dual eagle scimitars. Same 20 strength. Damage got increased by 32% for dual cutting it seems.

Will switch to sword and shield later to see what the damage is for it. Assuming it got buffed too.
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • edited June 2016
    Lucianus said:
    Switched to dual eagle scimitars. Same 20 strength. Damage got increased by 32% for dual cutting it seems.

Will switch to sword and shield later to see what the damage is for it. Assuming it got buffed too.
    Sexiest words I've heard all week!

ETA: This part specifically. You testing doesn't float my boat, sorry :( 
  • Anedhel said:
    Lucianus said:
    Switched to dual eagle scimitars. Same 20 strength. Damage got increased by 32% for dual cutting it seems.

Sexiest words I've heard all week!

ETA: This part specifically. You testing doesn't float my boat, sorry :( 
    If you get a more precise number. Let me know. I'm just comparing it by the amount of damage I'm doing to things I usually hunt (Moghedu and Dun).

I do believe that dual cutting definitely got an increase in damage though.

The crit damage still doesn't quite compare to two-handed, but your non-crit damage is definitely getting pretty close to two-handed.