Idea for Seafaring:

So I had an idea I wanted to submit for Seafaring. I am sure there are lots of plans for it in the future, but this idea I had I think could really bring about more interest in seafaring outside Pirates, and fishers. This idea would directly affect the cities of Achaea. I know not every city can have a port due to their location, but I thought it would be a great idea to create Sea bases. 1-2 in each part of the ocean. These bases could be captured and claimed by the Sailors of each city. I imagine it would require both ships and a landing crew to capture and claim a sea base. Ships would be required to take out the outer defenses, and once that barrier is broken, the ships could sail in with a landing party to do some on land combat. Once all the defenses are broken, that city or Village could then use their own coffers to rebuild, and maintain those defenses. Once captured, I figure that sea base could provide some kind of trade benefit to the controlling city, a steady supply of that bases commodities, or gold intake. I figure it could also generate some kind of ability for those that set sail in their ships if they are a part of that city. Some enhanced defenses or increase of figurehead power or something to that idea. This could turn seafaring into more of a City/Village thing other than the current Ministry. I would also increase the use of Ship VS Land combat, even if it's just against the sea base. I would also say that each city or Village could control one, or all of the posted sea bases. This of course would mean that taking one would be difficult, as long to lean power to just one location.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool Or a coward
Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both
For a wounded man will shall say to his assailant
"If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven"
Such is the rule of honor

Comments

• edited May 2016
    tldr: delete ships

also: please dear god no. Aetherflares were bad enough on Lusternia... you want them here too?
  • I don't play Lusternia heh. Honestly wanting something to bring Seafaring to the forefront a little more. Good idea added that could be made amazing
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool Or a coward
    Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both
    For a wounded man will shall say to his assailant
    "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven"
    Such is the rule of honor
  • Add an idea that lets @Aegoth holobomb other ships from a distance to set them on fire, and he'd probably never stop sailing.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Sounds like giant sea shrines and it sounds a bit demoralizing for any city less endowed with sailors. Or Targossas for example, which magically decided that a Naval force is to be no more, because !? Nobody knows.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Saeva said:
    Sounds like giant sea shrines and it sounds a bit demoralizing for any city less endowed with sailors. Or Targossas for example, which magically decided that a Naval force is to be no more, because !? Nobody knows.
    They just did something wonky with it and while I don't agree with their decision, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and hope it turns out for the better.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited May 2016
    Their priories are more landlocked. Given the time and effort some people (such as Greys) had put into the city Navy, I think it was rather crappy to just scrap it overall. Seems pretty pointless to be a coastal city in such a prominent location and dismantle your navy, but that's their prerogative I suppose.

Not to digress, I think this idea is a bit out of scope or too big for consideration. They've been working on making good, reasonable changes to the already complicated and outdated seafaring system, I just don't see this as being a very long-term, beneficial change.

I'd much rather see things like being able to sack coastal ports and other ships for a portion of their cargo holds or stores.

• Saeva said:
    Sounds like giant sea shrines and it sounds a bit demoralizing for any city less endowed with sailors. Or Targossas for example, which magically decided that a Naval force is to be no more, because !? Nobody knows.
    I have no idea what the heck Targossas is doing, but their decision is their burden to bear. I have zero sympathy for a nation of 'good guys' who surrender a huge chunk of the world (the oceans) to the forces of evil, chaos, pirates and tree huggers.

Not commenting on the OP at this time. I agree that the oceans of Achaea remain very disconnected from the rest of the game and reasons to sail outside of individual economic motivations are just not there. Though I do feel such reasons should be created to motivate cities and factions, and those who decide not to try deserve to be demoralized.  
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    So much the above... 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.