City advice?

hey everyone,

i've made a handful of characters in cities over the past few rl years (this is a temp one) and would like to make a 'permanent' character now. i've been thinking about what i'm looking for quite a bit and was wondering if anyone could provide some advice as to which city may suit me best

here's what i'm looking for:

1) activity. i'm located in gmt-8 (gmt-7 now for dst) and would like people to be around in the evenings (5-12 or so) when i'm free! over the years i've seen cities where it gets super dead and nobody is around at all. i really like interacting with people!

2) rp availability. i would prefer for people to not be borderline (or entirely) ooc around the city. it gets really distracting and i'd like to build an actual fleshed out character here -- something i've had trouble doing in the past. 

3) combat opportunities. i'd like to really dive deep into combat and be involved in raids, city disputes and the like once i get some experience.

looking for any at all advice, even if it's just to vouch for the city you're in now. i have no idea which class i'm going to be yet, either...but that's probably another post.

thanks!

Comments

• Targ and Mhaldor certainly for # 2 . Those two plus the Village People for #3. Hashan has more of a combat scene these days too. I can't really comment on #1 other than my alt in Mhaldor saw the place rather empty at times, but I'm in a very different time zone to you. Ultimately just try your hand at each one for a month and see which sticks.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • There's a reason Mhaldor is also known as AFKdor.

But yeah, Eleusis has decent combat opportunity nowadays. RP will, er, vary depending on who you speak with. Vary a lot, even (and rule #1 is avoid Atop). It's a bit time-zone specific, but generally has a decent number of people around in most timezones except for evenings of mine (GMT +10).
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• edited May 2016
    Decent number of people around = 25
    Eleusis does seem to be the most populated!
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Aesi said:
    Decent number of people around = 25
    Eleusis does seem to be the most populated!
    Says the non-Cyrenian.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Cyrene breaks the combat, borderline OOC and deep role play opportunities criteria. It was never a contender in this specific thread.
  • Targ and Mhaldor definitely are going to be the most rp-intensive. Targ is going to be more light-hearted and Mhaldor's going to be more hardcore (in tone). Which of them is more active seems to go back and forth, though, other than Cyrene no city's been super big forever.
  • Ashtan has far more RP than Mhaldor in my opinion.
  • lol   
  • edited May 2016
    Someone should write me a nice couplet so I can appear witty.

(something first) shots fired,
    (something else), popcorn acquired
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    I'll comment...that my rp is worse than my PvP... And that says alot :(

• Ashtan has more people to RP with because of population, but Mhaldor will have a much larger % of people willing to RP heavily.

• Like has been said a few times, Targossas and Mhaldor will offer you the most RP/combat balance. Ashtan has combat, but fairly selective in timing and dead otherwise - RP reputation notwithstanding.

Not sure what's going on in Mhaldor, but Targossas has a lot of really active people willing to RP and combat, and several that do both. Having active Divine is a big difference in the cities, right now, as well.

Good luck choosing!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Every city has its pockets of RPers, some larger and more intensive than others, so it also does depend on whom you choose to make friends. But RP doesn't necessarily require grandiose gestures and stuff, if you're only looking for overall consistency in character and not having to encounter thinly veiled pop culture references, then I'm gonna say from my own experiences, I'm still with Mhaldor on full on RP. 

On wanting cities with 'big populations': the irony of this is that if everyone goes to the big populated city then said city will just get more populous while the already small cities (no matter how great their premise) will just get smaller. Admittedly it sucks when you're all alone in the city, and I sympathise, but realistically at the moment, we more or less peak at an average of 150 players at the most active and there are times when nearly every city's just gonna be flat out nearly empty. 

You will however, have plenty of opportunity for actual combat action in Targossas, Mhaldor and Eleusis though. 

• Based on your criteria your choices are Targossas, Eleusis and Hashan.

There are some very obvious OOC people in Targossas that I've heard people complain about. Of those three Eleusis and Targossas definitely have an RP, fervent identity of what they fight for, where Hashan is more free to believe in what you want.

Eleusis defends a ton, but only has a specific core of raiders, but they aren't super willing to allow new people to join in on from what I see, it's always the same raiders.

In Targ anyone can raid and does (including their novices which I find awesome), where in Hashan I'm working on getting a solid group of raiders, but we defend our face off. 
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    Odd that you'd see dead spots playing in Pac coast primetime. 

• No matter what city you choose or even if you decide to go rogue, quality always trumps quantity.
  • Just go with whatever RP flavor suits you the most. Don't try and fit in with a RP crowd if the flavor doesn't suit you.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Thank you, all. I've decided to go with Mhaldor. The note on RP flavor really struck me and I think I'll find what I'm looking for there.