Artefact questions and discussion

Comments

• EldEld
    edited December 2012
    @Jules: I think the answer is basically, no, we don't know yet. All we really know is that there's a major rework of the weapons system which will hopefully address some balance issues related to the introduction of traits, as well as the current situation where it pretty much never makes sense to use anything but rapiers. Without having knowing how (or to what extent) that second issue is going to be addressed, it's pretty hard to say whether you'll even want rapiers, let alone soulpiercers, once it goes through.

Edit: On the other hand, @Mizik is much more of an authority on such things than me. You can tell because he doesn't need to pad his answers with over-verbose hedging.
  • Link me. I have no idea what's going on.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    they haven't said anything about the weapon changes besides there being something in the work.  Whatever it is they apparently haven't shared it with the ACC as no one has mentioned it (and no way it would be kept that well guarded).
  • Best thing about sps is you can customise them.
  • @Jules: If you can afford to buy Soulpiercers, and you're happy to part with the money, I don't think you'll regret doing so. I'm also hoping that whatever changes are currently being planned will boost the effectiveness of artefact weapons in particular since they do tend to lack in the key areas in comparison to ultra high quality forged goods.

Honestly, though, one of the things that makes me want artefacts the most is the ability to customise them. Having the opportunity to create something that is essentially unique really is pretty cool. That's particularly true for weapons since they're highly visible.
  • You can customise forged weapons too, I believe. They just can't be made resetting/non-decay. 

I agree with getting Soulpiercers, though.
  • Yeah, but it kind of sucks to pay 50 credits for a customisation that will decay.
  • Mhmmm, perhaps. They last over a real life year with stasis, though... 50 credits for that isn't a hugely steep investment? 
  • Well, perhaps not. But I don't know... it just feels nicer to know your customised stuff will stay around for good.
  • Oh no, definitely. I'm not saying it's not worth the investment and I even agreed to get the soulpiercers if you can! Just saying that it's possible to customise forged weapons for 50cr.
  • I've never regretted picking up my Soulpiercers. I don't believe they're as limiting as some would believe, but i would not complain if they took, like, 20-24 points from to-hit and threw 11 into speed.

• They're most certainly not limiting. Who in their right mind said that?  :-/
  • People whose opinions I value. @Tirac, for one.

• edited December 2012
    Well, there's no doubt there are better forged rapiers for certain purposes. But that still isn't a reason to scoff at soulpiercers, which are all around a very decent package (especially when you compare them to certain other level three artie weapons). They may not be the absolute best choice for every combat situation, but they're still excellent weapons, and I'd still rather buy soulpiercers than doing the whole find-the-best-rapiers-ever-and-pay-an-exorbitant-price-for-them-and-keep-them-in-stasis-at-all-times game.
  • Trey said:

I've never regretted picking up my Soulpiercers. I don't believe they're as limiting as some would believe, but i would not complain if they took, like, 20-24 points from to-hit and threw 11 into speed.

Damage*
  • People whose opinions I value. @Tirac, for one.
    Mizik said:

Trey said:

I've never regretted picking up my Soulpiercers. I don't believe they're as limiting as some would believe, but i would not complain if they took, like, 20-24 points from to-hit and threw 11 into speed.

Damage*
    Nooooo. I like breaking faster :(

• 11 points in speed faster!
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I had a pair of level 3 broadswords, fully customised, for quite a while. I rather liked them. As a nomcom, they were decent for hunting with up until the low 80s where I actually wanted more speed. I traded them in for a pair of SPs and my crit output balances out the slight damage loss. At least, what I personally experience while hunting. Also @Trey made them pretty for me. I loathe rapiers in general but love my SPs.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited December 2012
    Mizik said:
    11 points in speed faster!
    Why not 11 damage points in speed more accurate?
  • 11 points in damage is to speed are archipelago azul toaster oven.
  • Mizik, that doesn't make any sense.
  • Thanks, this gives me a lot to think about...
  • edited December 2012
    While the subject of soulpiercers has come up, I've begun to think more about what my next artefact should be. It's kind of a tough decision, since I have quite a few already. I'm a Human/Dragon Infernal with level 3 gauntlets, level 2 belt, level 2 sip ring, level 2 bracelets, level 3 pendant, SoA, one soulpiercer and one level 1 rapier, I have a hammer and veil and gem and warpy stick, plus plenty of random stuff like a taper, signet ring, vice, kris, etc etc.

I am trying to figure out what will get me the most bang for my buck, and is purely for hunting. Something to generate more money, kill faster, or take less damage and thus spend less on refills and moss.

I had been thinking possibly upgrading the belt/bracelet/sip ring, upgrading the lv1 rapier to lv2, a ring of the magus for putrefaction damage, or getting a health regen band.

Again, this is purely for hunting, I don't really engage in combat.

Thanks!
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    you hunt for gold over xp then i'd get wings for faster travel.  If went the xp route then SPs make more sense.  Most level 2 to level 3 upgrades aren't worth the huge upgrade but that level 1 rapier really brings down the effectiveness of SPs.
  • Runies actually make rapiers hard to balance. 10 points in speed makes one hell of a difference when you start nearing the upper end. SP is pretty meh for an Infernal trying alternative break strategies, while they are great for Runies because of the higher speed and chance to chill.

And do not say Frenzy. In a long duel against someone decent you will just end up burning your essence away trying different break methods.

I would gladly give up frenzy for permanent smaller speed boost.

Basically with runes around, trying to balance weapons us going to be a massive PITA.

• Iocun said:
    Mizik, that doesn't make any sense.
    I had to read your previous post like four times to derive any meaning from it. I wanted you to suffer the same fate times 911.
  • SPS are worth every damn peny if you regularly hunt DK's. Sadly I don't have them.
  • SPs are brutal on a runy or pally.

• Mizik said:

Iocun said:

Mizik, that doesn't make any sense.

I had to read your previous post like four times to derive any meaning from it. I wanted you to suffer the same fate times 911.

Keresis is gone. Revenge should be a thing of the past. Let her rest in peace.
  • edited December 2012
    (my question was in Arador's quote box)