Quick Combat Questions

Comments

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Agree, once you trade in the hammer its a bit of a relief.  Hammer of forging is just a trap to get you shrubbed IMO.
  • Xith said:
    Iocun said:
    Only one you forgot is amnesia.

Yeah, I had a feeling it gave that too, but my test subject obviously couldn't diagnose that one.
    He'd only be aware of it if he saw that the first diag did not go through, anyway.

• Xith said:

Just tested ring of pestilence. It seemed to only give these afflictions.
    Paralysed.
    suffering from epilepsy.
    unnaturally stupid.
    extremely generous.
    agoraphobic.
    afraid of heights.
    shivering.
    inspires disloyalty in those nearby.

Anyone have conflicting data? If not, feel free to make note of that.

Is it just me or is pestilence actually largely awesome for retardation? Like any one of those afflictions (or amnesia) is awesome.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Xith said:
    Xith said:

Just tested ring of pestilence. It seemed to only give these afflictions.
    Paralysed.
    suffering from epilepsy.
    unnaturally stupid.
    extremely generous.
    agoraphobic.
    afraid of heights.
    shivering.
    inspires disloyalty in those nearby.

Anyone have conflicting data? If not, feel free to make note of that.

Is it just me or is pestilence actually largely awesome for retardation? Like any one of those afflictions (or amnesia) is awesome.
    Pestilence is useful, yes, especially because the afflictions are hidden. The only drawback is the long equilibirum recovery (about 4 seconds for me even with quick-witted and diadem) but it can be useful all the same. I keep one handy on me for times I find myself in retardation without a very good vibestack or against another magi.
  • Question! Is there anything that'd stop sonicportal from just going through? I don't mean the portal opening but there'd be a monolith or something like that, I mean more just not happening. I tried to portal to someone but it just didn't embed. Had balance, equilibrium and I wasn't in dragonform and I tried twice and it just didn't happen. Tested my aliases to see if it was a problem on my end, which wasn't the case, so now I'm stumped. 
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Probably Bal'met's fault

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Do Two Arts infusions (fire, ice, lightning - presumably void is a special case) change the damage type of the slash, or just add a bit of extra damage of the relevant type?
  • edited December 2012
    Infuse changes the damage type. If I remember right, infuse void makes it magic damage, but I'm not 100% sure. The damage is unchanged except for the type.

• Sena said:
    Infuse changes the damage type. If I remember right, infuse void makes it magic damage, but I'm not 100% sure. The damage is unchanged except for the type.
    Hm, so armour does nothing against infused slashes?
  • Eld said:
    Hm, so armour does nothing against infused slashes?
    As far as I know, that's right.
  • What are the minimum skills for a Blademaster to fight?

Currently have Trans Twoarts and up to Voidfist in Striking.

• Yeah, you're fine to fight. Most basic would be trans twoarts and knees in striking, but I suggest feet. You've got more than that so you're fine.
  • @Sena With a little testing, that seems to be correct, including void being magic damage.
  • Arador said:
    What are the minimum skills for a Blademaster to fight?

That ought to be more than enough to get you started, though I'd -highly- recommend getting Shindo up to near Trans for Evade.

...I can't remember if my limbcounter's posted on this forum or not. I should check that.
  • Airfist IS Striking. Gonna need Feet, though.

Don't try to tank monks, just beat them to the prep.

• @Eld What led you to believe that your Band was bugged at lv 2? I noticed right away that my output didn't change in terms of speed and breakpoints. Many opponents comment on my lacking offense, and I feel inadequate.

• Isn't Airfist a % chance to prevent a parry? I would have thought proning them with pommel/knees and slashing them then would be more reliable and less risky.
  • Dorn said:
    Arador said:
    What are the minimum skills for a Blademaster to fight?

That ought to be more than enough to get you started, though I'd -highly- recommend getting Shindo up to near Trans for Evade.

...I can't remember if my limbcounter's posted on this forum or not. I should check that.
    Please check :)

• Aeolithon said:
    Isn't Airfist a % chance to prevent a parry? I would have thought proning them with pommel/knees and slashing them then would be more reliable and less risky.
    100% on Guarding. Parry is no risk. Just keep slashing!
  • It's 100% on Guarding? You sure?
  • Super duper. Was my request.
  • EldEld
    edited December 2012
    @Mizik Figured out the band was bugged when I was testing drawslash damage on a falcon after the recent change to make stances and bands affect denizen damage went in. Most of the relevant numbers are recorded in this thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/165/miscellaneous-mathstesting-ii/p1.
    The speed difference between level 2 and level 3 is only going to be like a tenth of a second, I think (Thyr drawslash, for example, going from ~1.8s to ~1.7), so maybe hard to see; I haven't gotten around to testing speed in detail with the level 3, though. As for breakpoints, I haven't done enough combat since it got fixed to notice whether they've changed significantly or not; I'd expect them to be different for some opponents, not for others.

Also, I know I've hit guarding on airfisted opponents before. Is that a recent change?
  • edited December 2012
    Who cares. Use it.

Edit: I think it was the first classlead I ever put in, right before I hit dragon.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    edited December 2012
    Did Discern messages get changed?

You discern that your target is not sufficiently weakened to unleash your wrath.
    (4034h|99%)(3184m|89%)(18228e|98%|15900w|98%)(S)(thyr)(Vrass)(nilF)(0I)(0h)
     700+ BROKENSTAR

The 700+ Brokenstar thing is my replacement line for
    ^You observe heavy torrents of lifeblood spilling from (\w+)'s near-fatal wounds\.$

Acctually nevermind the replacement line I had two lines set to fire off for some reason for the discern message, but still did discern get changed at all in the past yearish?

• This counts as a question: I need to talk to someone fairly knowledgeable in serpent combat about fitness keepup/impatience priorities on people. Is anyone here willing to lend me a hand?
  • Dorn said:
    It's 100% on Guarding? You sure?
    It was set to 100% on Guarding from one of the early Blademaster classleads.

• Huh. Teach me to not pay attention. I probably hit Guarding right after Airfist dropped before I figured out how to track it and just decided Airfist didn't counter it. >.>

• Dorn said:
    Huh. Teach me to not pay attention. I probably hit Guarding right after Airfist dropped before I figured out how to track it and just decided Airfist didn't counter it. >.>
    QFT. This has also led me to think that the monks I spar against are really bad at using guarding.
  • Jacen said:
    Hey!
    It's ok, now that I know about the airfist thing, I'll stop wondering why I never hit your guarding.