best bashing classes?

Trying to play catchup with info available.
What is the best bashing classes, with arties and without?

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited April 2016
    Blademaster, by a mile and a half  :p

:s 
    In case the smiley don't make it clear, it is a joke <span>:pensive:</span>

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Artied, probably Bard still even after losing Canticle. Serpent has huge offense when fully artied, but you're lacking the health to tank anything; I have a full 2k more as Bard than Serpent because I don't have to spec dexterity.
  • I think runewarden anything would be ridiculous awesome at bashing because of runes and fullplate armour! I would also suggest pallie for the rites. Hunting mobs with inspiration and healing is awesome. I have little experience outside of knight classes but I would figure Sylvan would be a great choice too with Viridian and thornrend being the first things you unlock in propagation.
  • edited April 2016
    Paladin battle rage puts it above runewarden, imo. Can always get algiz and berkana before hunting too.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • How does Occultist hunting stack up now-a-days?
    The Truths hurt. Always.
  • Bad. Like always. 

Knights rule the bashing world.
  • Bashing is really about not dying. Unartied, you want a class that tanks, so you can hunt bigger stuffs without struggling. Knights are really good at that. Artied, of course, there are more choices, serpents and bards are both pretty awesome when artied.
  • Antonius said:
    Artied, probably Bard still even after losing Canticle. Serpent has huge offense when fully artied, but you're lacking the health to tank anything; I have a full 2k more as Bard than Serpent because I don't have to spec dexterity.
    Hmm but does dexterity have anything to do with serpent hunting?

Of course you would have to respec once you get to dragon, but at least you have it out of the way.
  • Aesgar said:
    Antonius said:
    Artied, probably Bard still even after losing Canticle. Serpent has huge offense when fully artied, but you're lacking the health to tank anything; I have a full 2k more as Bard than Serpent because I don't have to spec dexterity.
    Hmm but does dexterity have anything to do with serpent hunting?
    Garrotte.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Dexterity affects garrote speed, and therefore DPS; pretty sure it doesn't impact the actual damage, but I may be wrong. You have to spec and trait for dexterity (even with level three boots) if you want the best damage output as Serpent. That means you're down four constitution versus Bard (which is free to spec constitution without sacrificing attack speed, and also has another 10% of max health - about 700 for me - from Aria). Serpent damage mitigation also isn't that respectable, even when artied; it's pretty average and feels worse when combined with the much lower maximum health.

Fully artied I feel pretty much invincible as Bard against everything I personally hunt and it hits hard/fast enough that kill speed isn't an issue. Knight wasn't better than it before the most recent round of bashing balancing, and it sure as hell isn't better now that it has a damage reduction penalty in exchange for its natural tankiness.
  • Dex only improves balance, not damage. Damage is based on whip/lash stats and subterfuge skill.
  • Generally, the tankier you are the better because healing up takes time.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • There's a point where additional ability to tank is wasted. If you can already kill everything you want to without running, and don't need to take breaks between kills to sip to full, then you're as tanky as you need to be. Adding more health by speccing for constitution, or picking a class that has better defense, will generally just come at the cost of damage output, and just slows you down.
  • Occultist is a fair bit better than it used to be.. Probably still like bottom 5-6 though.

With artis, I'd say jester/serp/bard top 3. Followed by knights and sylvans.
    Without artis, prolly knight, sylvan or priest.

• How badly was priest nerfed with the latest damage changes? Because before that, artied priest had by far the highest DPS in the game, stronger than serpent on top of being fairly tanky.
  • It got a large damage reduction. Not sure what that translates to in raw DPS numbers.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Bashing arties for bard are obviously rapier, gauntlet, pendulum and pendant - any other class specific ones I'm missing (other than belt/bracelet/sip ring for tankiness?)
    The Truths hurt. Always.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Suladan said:
    Bashing arties for bard are obviously rapier, gauntlet, pendulum and pendant - any other class specific ones I'm missing (other than belt/bracelet/sip ring for tankiness?)
    Tuning fork at a push for double length harmonics

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Klendathu said:
    Suladan said:
    Bashing arties for bard are obviously rapier, gauntlet, pendulum and pendant - any other class specific ones I'm missing (other than belt/bracelet/sip ring for tankiness?)
    And SoA
  • edited April 2016
    Sena said:
    How badly was priest nerfed with the latest damage changes? Because before that, artied priest had by far the highest DPS in the game, stronger than serpent on top of being fairly tanky.
    My damage as an unartied priest feels like it got cut by a good chunk. At 80 with 16 str in runes and inspiration, I do about 2-3% non crit damage on things like grizzly bears and 5-7% non crit damage on lower like manticores. I picked up nimble so I am doing attacks every 2 seconds. It takes anywhere from 40-55 seconds to kill a mob if I get no crits at all. I wish I had measured my DPS before the changes, but it is definitely a lot slower.

Example I measured before:
    Goblin Guard = 37 seconds, 12 moves – 3 of those battle rages, average non-crit attack 6%, avg battle rage attack 5%, avg damage received 221h, hit 7 times by denizen, chance of crit 4 out of 12 moves

Grizzly Bear = 78 Seconds, 24 moves – 5 of those battle rages, average non-crit attack 3%, avg battle rage attack 2%, avg damage received 766 hp, hit 21 times by denizen, chance of crit 1 out of 24 moves

• Hey, Shayde.  That sounds about like Monk bashing now.  Except you guys get uh... more healing and defense.  So it seems sort of.. worthwhile???
  • Frederich said:
    Hey, Shayde.  That sounds about like Monk bashing now.  Except you guys get uh... more healing and defense.  So it seems sort of.. worthwhile???
    Might want to recheck your numbers, I was just hunting with a monk ( lvl 82) that was almost doing twice my damage. After awhile, I just started setting down rites and letting him kill stuff. :p

• 2.248 second balance timer (roughly) so 2.25.  82, 14 strength.  7% per hit.

258 average damage from the goblin boy
    210 average damage from the goblin guards

Mountain Grizzlies (which I assume are the test subject) take 3% damage on a non-critical combo.

806 average damage from the grizzly bears.

• Shirszae said:
    Blademaster, by a mile and a half  :p

:s 
    In case the smiley don't make it clear, it is a joke <span>:pensive:</span>
    Aesh is killing it as BM. Maybe it's not a joke!
  • The best class for bashing is the one with the most motivation.

Oh, motivation comes from the player? There's your answer. 

• edited April 2016
    Borran said:
    The best class for bashing is the one with the most motivation and artefacts.

Oh, motivation comes from the player? There's your answer. 
    Ftfy. 

This has been paid for by the lvl 95 19 yo with an SoA.

• All joking aside, I don't think it is wrong that people ask these type of questions. All classes have their pve pros and cons, some more pros than others. The ones with more cons than pros will most likely be more expensive to bash with because you'll need to either have the patience to bash slower, group up, or fight weaker mobs or you'll have to supplement with artefacts. 

• Honestly, after seeing a bard fight, I actually got super jealous.  Namely because I realized they literally don't have to writhe most of the time for PVE.  They get 10% (or however much) extra health simply for singing to themself (which stacks with runes).  If an enemy shields, they can instantly shatter it with their voice and not using battlerage (as far as I could tell). They get a shield, so they can benefit from an SoA.  They (seem) to do 3-4% per jab, and attack slightly faster than monks.  They provide EXCELLENT support benefits to pretty much anyone that parties with them for hunting...  Oh.  Did I mention they also get Harmonics which can pretty much raise your defense capabilities by a lot? If memory serves right, they also get mana/health regen harmonics too.

Yeahhhhh.  Bard has a LOT of Pros for bashing, the only downside is a bit of micromanaging on harmonic timers and having reflexes to provide you with boosts and your dwinu and shield shatterer (and aria, I guess).  They also suffer from having to wait a bit before engaging certain harder rooms to fling their harmonics in there but...  Uh.  They can take those harder rooms, as compared to other classes.

Monk uh... gets numb and regeneration and transmute which murders the piss out of your mana and willpower... and leaves you open to instant-death ganks by any priest/apostate who runs by you and decides they don't like you because you had to transmute to survive the damage two denizens were hitting you for.

Don't get me wrong.  Monks have to have some upsides.. but the sheer utility of Bards is so.. outrageously good that it's ridiculous.  Heck, they can use all three class skills to bash, which can't be said for some classes.
  • Klendathu said:
    Suladan said:

Think I was like the second bard to get dragon and I did it in like a month and a half or something from level 55 or some somewhere in there (I charted it at one point).  I focused on staying tanky over damage because having to run takes longer than waiting on balance, not to mention once you run it throws the whole rythme off (I killed the island dragon without running).  I never had a arte weapon but that was back at the time Skarash lived on the forge so I had some pretty cool ones.

Tuning fork, sip rings, con arte, arte vials so I didn't have to refill as often; all of those were clutch back then, no idea about now.  

• From a new Achaean player's view, jester feels good. I don't know how speed compares to other classes, but I feel like I can do a lot with little investment. AFAIK you only need to trans pranks for attack damage. Tarot means I can self heal as well as follow others around and assist. With only one or two class skill sets learned I can also help in team fights, plus I have illusions for fun RP. You also have a gallop clone and alternatives to tumble, which saves on tertiary skill set investments off the bat, and you can wear decent armour which helps mitigate a lack of lessons in avoidance. It may not be the best bashing class overall but it feels very versatile and fun for a pretty cheap lesson cost.