Best 1v1 class

edited April 2016 in Quick Class Questions
Looking to pick my second class in the near future. Since my primary class is good for groups (Runewarden), I wanted to find a class that excels in 1v1 combat. 

I know there are other similar threads answering this question but I figured in light of recent class leads I'd start a fresh one.

1. What class excels in 1v1 with minimal artefact supplementation?
2. What class excels in 1v1 when supplemented with artefacts?
3. How hard is coding affliction tracking and the like for serpent/runewarden/int monk/etcetera?
4. Any other relevant information you might have!

I'm strongly considering monk, serpent, or alchemist. Infernal would be convenient because I could invest in level three artefact weapons and then use them as a Runewarden as well, so that is an option as well.

Obviously forestal classes, occultist, priest, and paladin are off limits. Apostate and infernal are fair game!

Thanks!

Comments

• 1) apostate
    2) serpent
    3) very if you're as lazy as I am, not very if you're not
    4) no
  • I hear Runewarden's good.

• You have access to apostate. 
  • edited April 2016
         -Jester needs virtually 0 artifacts whatsoever. Just some levels for hp, and lessons.

-Most classes. Jester doesn't get much better, just tankier. It's already top of the food chain, when you learn the class properly, and don't try to lean solely on Puppetry.

3. How hard is coding affliction tracking and the like for serpent/runewarden/int monk/etcetera?
         -Depends on how 'good' you want it. You don't need to code it, to be able to lock people. Just if you don't want to have to think nearly as much.

-Don't go Jester. Achaea doesn't need more.

FU @Mizik. :(

• Peels + tower card makes fashion and running pretty legit against anyone you really want to kill without putting yourself at much risk. Not sure if you can jpk/lunge past rubble.

You can repeat the same juggle/give itchpowder sequence over and over again until you lock someone too. I haven't confirmed yet but I think you can just loop apply epidermal on salve balance to get rid of itchpowder before impatience ticks.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Borran said:
    I hear Runewarden's good.
    Already a runewarden! But yeah
  • edited April 2016
    Bard or Jester
  • 1. What class excels in 1v1 with minimal artefact supplementation?
    - Apostate. Alchemist. Occultist.

- Serpent.

- Can't comment. If you automate you get tricked to death via illusions and fake eats.

- All classes can 1v1 very well, it depends on what you like. Do you like limbs or affs. Do you like to be on the offensive entire fight, or okay with def/off swaps, or more def and suddenly kill ppl when you are ready. Do you want aff kills or damage kills. Do you want to fight common defenses, or enjoy tricking defenses into a kill. Do you like a class everyone understands, or a class most people have no idea how to defend effectively against. All classes has different flavors, it's more important to choose one that you like, and then dive into it's 1v1 prowess. If your question is about which class assassinates/jumps better, it's entirely different evaluation.
  • Wouldn't call a 1200cr artifact 'minimal' but sure. Good luck killing anyone that knows about Occultist, without a Diadem. Unless you want to 1-trick them with unnamable then never spar that person again.

Probably gonna be int-spec'd too, so add onto that 1200cr with more for bonus health, unless you also never plan to spar monks, sylvans, knights, druids or priests as well.

Truename strat is easy to not die to, if they aren't artifacted and you have resists.

--

Other two, I would agree on. Need to stop complaining about Occultist being OP, and go try the class out for yourself, rather than basing everything you know off of fighting Seragorn/Amranu. Back when torc was a thing, it was kinda ridic. Now, especially that you can see unnameable firing? Not really. Nothing that's happened in the past few rounds have been buffs for them, virtually just quality of life changes - quite a few of which made it -easier- to fight them.

• 1. Apostate and Jester.
    2. Serpent and Monk.
    3. Jester and Shaman hardest to code.
    4. You're already runewarden.  You want a simple and strong 1 v 1 class consider two handed or dual blunt. But you will want at least level 2 artie weapons.
    You said you're considering monk, but just know that I can't think of a single other class that is more reliant on artifacts to meet its full potential.
    All that said, every class has a different feel to it.  And it's really all about finding a class whose style really fits with how you like to play.  You can take any class and be good at 1 vs 1. It's more important to find a style that you like, then worry about which artifacts will help compensate for weaknesses.
  • Apostate and Alchemist are the best without artefacts. Any class is good with artefacts. It really is a question of what class is best for you. What style fits you most and what you're best at is going to matter more than anything else.

• I don't hear Magi getting mentioned often. In which category of the three mentioned in this thread would they fall in?

In the Mud where I came from. Any class that was able to drop an aoe slow time ability like Retardation was considered the lowest in investment you can make in both arties and coding to become decent. Especially since fighting in retardation/aeon-field abilities was considered a great equalizer against more artied opponents and groups.
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    This is true to a point... But a serpent can stil l dstsb you with multiple afflictions at a time with almost no penalty. As can many other classes. Retardation really shines in surprises and groups.

• It used to be a really cheesy braindead class that was entirely dependent on catching your opponent in a room next to no monolith sigils and keeping them in place long enough(throwing them off EQ via deep freeze/stridulation(?) vibe with prefarar jabs) for your vibes to do all the work for you, since vibes were so disgustingly strong at full speed in ret - there was little counter play beyond going bard/precision curing.

Nowadays, they're more of a prep class and probably requires a burn tracker. You can kill off a single leg break if your opponents have the wrong salve prios. If they do have the right salve prios, you can keep them grounded for a long time if they have no room hinder and possibly kill them via damage or destroy still. 

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Old Magi was pretty easy to not die to, actually. The people that had problems were the people who relied 100% on systems/automatic curing, and didn't know how to pause and manual, and to decide which affs they actually needed to cure and which to ignore. Also involved dodging plague, that was incoming death if you hit that most of the time.

• Eh, regardless of whether you can keep your opponent on the ground, if they're dying to damage, they are doing something horribly horribly wrong (or they're just squishy). Tumbling away through icewalls/room hinder (if you have it) is a huge deterrant, and with good salve prios, a magi isn't gonna kill anyone without resorting to retardation tactics. Otherwise, unless you're sticking around for that holocaust, no one should die to magi damage outside of ret if you have full resists and are packing 5k+ hp
  • edited April 2016
    Dochitha said:
    - Apostate. Alchemist. Occultist.

- Serpent.

- Can't comment. If you automate you get tricked to death via illusions and fake eats.

- All classes can 1v1 very well, it depends on what you like. Do you like limbs or affs. Do you like to be on the offensive entire fight, or okay with def/off swaps, or more def and suddenly kill ppl when you are ready. Do you want aff kills or damage kills. Do you want to fight common defenses, or enjoy tricking defenses into a kill. Do you like a class everyone understands, or a class most people have no idea how to defend effectively against. All classes has different flavors, it's more important to choose one that you like, and then dive into it's 1v1 prowess. If your question is about which class assassinates/jumps better, it's entirely different evaluation.
    Occie actually kinda needs aldar talisman/diadem. So 1200cr, plus minimum of 16 int which can be done but will leave you super squishy without some kind of defensive artefacts.

EDIT: Oh Cylanael (w/e) beat me to it. 
  • How about Bard? Do you think that's a viable class without artefacts for 1on1? Been thinking a lot about trying it out.
  • edited April 2016
    Exxia said:
    How about Bard? Do you think that's a viable class without artefacts for 1on1? Been thinking a lot about trying it out.
    Without arties? No

edit: Unless you can find a rapier that has a speed which will match your voice balance.
  • How fast is unartied bard jab/voice bal?

Also @Tolan, you can't match voice bal and jab, can you? It scales with weapon speed and it'll never match the jab afaik. Also all forged weapons are the same.
  • Kiet said:
    How fast is unartied bard jab/voice bal?

Also @Tolan, you can't match voice bal and jab, can you? It scales with weapon speed and it'll never match the jab afaik. Also all forged weapons are the same.
    When there were weapon stats you could, but I doubt these days you can make a rapier slow enough.
  • You don't want them synced up anyway. Unartied bard locks because of the staggered afflictions making up for being slower.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Apostate unartied

Anything artied is pretty hot in achaea atm. (except druid, lol druid maul dmg boring)
  • Kiet said:

Unartied, jab is 2.2s, voice is 2.6s. 
  • edited April 2016
    Rangor said:
    Apostate unartied

Anything artied is pretty hot in achaea atm. (except druid, lol druid maul dmg boring)
    I know.  :(
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• edited April 2016
    Israyhl said:
    Kiet said:

That's pretty rough, ouch. Especially because of the loss of some limb strats with that speed. Should still be doable with songbird and such though.
  • Israyhl said:
    Kiet said:

That's actually closer than I thought it would be. Though, back on the day you use to be able to have your jab and voicecraft be pretty much exact(Due to being able to get a lower speed). And while, as @Atalkez says, the benefit of a bard is being able to time their songs to happen between their jabs, that could be good. But if you can time them so they're jabbing and singing at the same time, the chance of a lock would be much easier.
  • Yeah but back then voice balance was a flat 3s and that was awful.
  • edited April 2016
    Still plausible!

Edit: With illusions
  • Unartied Bard was viable before the nerf this classlead round. Unfortunately, losing Canticle hurt them far more than it hurt the SP Bards that were the target of that classlead.